Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectNeo-Afro-Fem
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12577&mesg_id=12586
12586, Neo-Afro-Fem
Posted by Chike, Thu Jul-05-01 06:37 AM
>you know what i wanna see?
>
>
>(i don't know how possible this
>is but--)
>
>a conference for young women with
>
>
>ntozake shange(i had to, yo!)
>bell hooks
>lauryn hill
>oprah winfrey
>toni morrison
>nikki giovanni
>jill scott (i wanna hear her
>speak)
>maya angelou
>alice walker
>
>and other women artists/poets/journalists/etc.
>
>teaching young women how to speak,
>how to love yourself, how
>to love others, how to
>be an example, discussing the
>pains we have felt as
>women, how to deal with
>these pains, poetry/music/communication workshops.....
>
>man, that would be sweet.

Yes indeed. It would be extremely sweet. I wouldn't be at it, of course (man that I am), but it would make my heart sing nonetheless. I sometimes look at the messages being sent to young women and I think:

Black girls need a new feminism. You ask the avg. black girl if she's a feminist, and she'll be shocked, whether she's conscious or thinks of BET video chicks as role models. So... I think someone should rise up and start a new movement among young black women. It'll be feminist in the sense that it will focus on making young black women think independently and recognize their inherent self-worth and demand respect. BUT it'll be called something different. I don't know what. I've been thinking of making this into a post, but oh well, you heard it first on this thread. LOVE YOURSELF, QUEEN! That could be the slogan. But I'm a stop making up stuff cuz this movement doesn't need a man to be telling them what they ought to do. You'll get full support from this brother, though!