Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthose darn t-shirts.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12577&mesg_id=12577
12577, those darn t-shirts.
Posted by loryn, Wed Jul-04-01 02:05 PM
i guess today is "show bitterness toward capitalism day" for ms. loryn.

but this one isn't really about capitalism. at least not at the root.

i'm sure you all have seen them. those lame t-shirts that girls (and women too) are forever wearing. the ones that say the following:

cutie.
princess.(this one ain't too bad though)
diva.(the definition has negative connotations)
hottie.
bitch.(this one BOTHERS ME THE MOST!!!)
foxy.
sexy.

there are others, but it's hot and the names escape me.

and females buy them, thinking it's cute to call yourself a bitch.

yeah y'all, it's cute for little ten year olds (my little sister's age!) to call themselves "sexy". because they're soooooo mature at that age.

what is it with the media and their constant glorification and glamourization of vanity and shallowness?

all these damn things are doing is teach little girls that it's okay to brag and boast about yourself. why don't we have people (read: strong women of substance)teaching our girls that it's okay to have dark brown skin?

it's okay if you don't look like beyonce or britney spears?

it's okay to cover up a bit, and not go out looking like a "hoochie"? (i also hate seeing little girls wear halter tops....)
it's okay to be ten years old?

it's okay not to wear so much make up?

and yet we want children to stay children.

of course, it all started with barbie (another capitalist ploy!).

it seems as though girls are never taught (at least by mainstream figures) that it is brains that are important, and not beauty.

it is brains that will get you into a good college.

it is brains that will get you a good paying job.

and that it is NOT JUST BEAUTY THAT WILL GET YOU "A GOOD BOYFRIEND OR HUSBAND".

as for the "princess" phenomenon--i feel as though i'd be belittling myself if i wore one. i'm a queen, dagnabbit ;-)

that is all. i realize that i'm being incredibly chatty today on this particular board; i'm not usually. i'm just venting a little. there are more things that are bothering me than i thought.

-loryn

"I love this land. I'm not crazy about the nation."--Alice Walker

I stopped combing my mind so my thought could lock--Saul Williams