Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: So, where exactly is this place?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12486&mesg_id=12569
12569, RE: So, where exactly is this place?
Posted by sistasoul, Sun Jul-15-01 04:52 AM
Where is this place where the Black ppl are more free than we are here in America?

I wish there was such a place. My argument isn't that if we move somewhere else we are automatically going to be free. If only that were true. What my opinion is, is that we as people of African decent should be trying to help the situation of people in Africa as well as the Black people in America. Me, personally, I want to be the person who goes to Africa and other African countries and tries to do just that. There are plenty of people right here in America willing to stay and work in this country. But I would choose to join forces with people of with a similar goal and travel. Its all a matter of choice. I wouldn't try to impose mine on anyone. But I still think that if Black people want to stay in America, it should be for a cause and not just because they enjoy the "perks."

"Are you saying that just b/c a country has a majority of Blacks in it, that means all those Black ppl are free? Hell, all"white" ppl in America ain't free and this is "their" nation! "

That point is true. Africans in Africa are in some ways more in bondage than we are over here. They are victims of brutalization as well, and victims of European colonialism. But the long term mental conditioning is something that Blacks in America suffer from more than anywhere else. But that doesn't mean that something can't be done. And if white people in America aren't free, I have a hard time feeling sympathy for them. Blacks (as well as indigenous people) were the race who were stripped of so many vital things in the United States. And furthermore, I am in no way concerned with the freedom of whites. In the end, liberation for us is going to have to come in the form of a mind revolution. Africans in the diaspora are going to have to attempt to reverse all those years of conditioning that has been a result of European influence. It is not a movement that will necessarily be fought with physical weapons, but with education, consciousness, and mental warfare.

"I'm really curious as to how >you think you will do as a woman in someof these places you're talking about. I'm under the

impression that women in America are doing far better than

women in most other parts of the world. But maybe I'm wrong."

No, you're not wrong. Women in other countries, I think especially in some African countries, are considered to be less than equal to men. But, come on, I'm not going to let something like that stop me. If every person who believed in something gave up their fight because a group of people thought they were inferior, were would we be now? Maybe I will encounter more hardships, maybe I will fail, but I damn sure am going to try.

And, I always say this, but thank you for responding to, and disagreeing with (sometimes), and questioning what I say in my post, because it makes me re-evaluate and think about what I've said. And although most times my opinion is still the same, it never hurts to look deeper.

~Peace

"I'm an African, never was an African American..." - Dead Prez