Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Would you live anywhere else?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12486&mesg_id=12550
12550, RE: Would you live anywhere else?
Posted by mamazgun, Fri Jul-06-01 07:43 AM
>I do know alot about the
>world and other countries...
>but the only reason that most
>people flee their countries to
>come here is because they
>posses the same false illusion
>of the american dream that
>most people here have.

well some people will take this false illusion over the realities they're living. because at least with this false illusion, they have more choices and more freedoms than they can ever dream of having where they are.

>And no matter what it
>all comes down to MONEY.

no doubt. money might be a big part of it but it's still more than just money. it's not that black and white.

>A third world country is
>considered to be any country
>that is not as economically
>developed as the US. These
>are the same folks who
>said that blacks weren't human
>and civilized just because the
>culture was not their own.
> People come here because
>they see opportunity for economic
>sucess. They may even want
>to break from religious persecution
>but religion is the largest
>form of mental slavery anyway....
>thats why you can practice
>any religion in the US
>because its like putting the
>shackles on yourself. _______ism
>(Choose any religion)says or believes
>that you should obey laws,
>live a "good" life, be
>nice to others, do whats
>"right" Praise ME and do
>as I say.
>
what about governmental corruption, ethnicity wars and "ethnicism", crime, poverty, disease. it's not just about religion (though I'm sure you had all these in mind). there are so many things that can make someone fed up with the life they're living, and with America portrayed as the land where you can do just about anything you please, even the shortcomings of this culture are bearable compared to the persecution and distress of other places. you cannot put a price on peace of mind. you just can't.

>
>Also you say that most people
>here are free?? What constitutes
>freedom to you may not
>constitute freedom to me.
>Enlightenment is the only true
>freedom to me. Not
>no bullshit like being able
>to vote, and the rest
>of those worldly things mentioned
>in the Bill of Rights,
>nothing that is related to
>the government will ever represent
>freedom. May be you should
>do some research and learn
>the motives for the set
>up of the US government.
>Guess what... its not to
>let the people be free,
>in case you haven't figured
>it out yet. The enslavement
>that I speak of is
>strictly mental and is on
>a level that most people
>wont ever see.
>And a majority of your opinion
>is relative, for example "to
>make a better life for
>themselves" what is a
>better life? Coming here
>to the US and working
>yourself to death? Yeah
>you may have a car
>and a house and food,
>but you never even lived.
> But that may not
>be a "better" life in
>someone elses eyes. Cuba
>cannot be too bad if
>Assata loves it there.

I'm not saying that all third world countries are intolerable places to live in. but if you don't have money or a family with a name and the money to provide the kind of security and peace of mind that only money can buy in these countries, well guess what, you'll still be "working yourself to death" and you won't have lived any better. and you probably won't even have a car or a house or food. and how do you propose you're going to attain this "enlightenment" when every morning you have to wonder if your house will still be standing when you return from slaving away at the end of the day. if YOU will be still standing at the end of the day. I'm not sure what you mean by enlightenment here. unless you're from a tribe existing secluded from the ills of modern society, still retaining all the traditions and lifestyles of your ancestors before you, and becoming enlightened within and about your culture and life, your money is all you've got to protect your property and yourself and "enlightenment" in this case is not free for all. Assata doesn't live in a hut on a hill. she has money. she knows people. she has a name there.
you're right in saying freedom is relative.

>And I don't believe shit
>I see on tv.
>I take dead prez's advice
>.. believe none of what
>you hear and half of
>what you see. Im
>totally aware that 95% of
>the stuff on tv are
>lies and propaganda to fool
>the citizens of america into
>thinking this is the best
>country, and it is obviously
>doing its job! No
>other country really likes the
>US, and its not jealousy.

you're absolutely right. no other country really likes the US. but where else can you get away with openly rebuking and criticizing your country and not lose your life for it? but that's not even the point and don't think I'm saying that because you can it makes America a great land. the point i'm trying to make is that you're not a prisoner of your mind in this country - you're not forbidden from confronting and criticizing your oppressors.

> Why do you think
>terroist are always attacking the
>US? but those same
>"terrorist" have dinner with Farrakahn?
> Maybe you should
>try to see the country
>for what it is. Not
>for what you want it
>to be or for what
>it could or should be.
>
I see the country for what it is. I KNOW what this country is. but I don't let that get in the way of what I know my life is and what it could or should be. there's a difference. living in this country is only a means to an ends - it is not the end all. it is not the ultimate.

>And how dare you make assumptions
>about my capacity of knowledge?
>I know a lot and
>for me the only true
>knowledge is experience... to say
>you know something and you
>haven't experienced it is an
>oxymoron.

I made assumptions about your capacity of knowledge based on what you wrote. nothing more - nothing less. for your information what I know IS also from what I have experienced. I know what it's like to live in a country where you fear for your life for the mere fact that you belong to a certain group or class of people, I know what it's like to bargain for your freedom everyday with the "police" and the courts and the government and all the "protectors" of your civil rights, I know what it's like to be afraid of your own neighbours, I know what it's like to live without all the amenities of a modern society - no electricity, running water, or all the things that we take for granted on a regular basis. I know what it's like and YOU cannot DARE to say you know something that you've read about or seen or heard if you haven't lived it. man, don't get ahead of yourself.