Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectDifferences
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12486&mesg_id=12515
12515, Differences
Posted by Federisco, Thu Jul-05-01 05:10 AM
mmh, i get it. When i said africa i thought about the part of africa you come from.

If you ignore differences yourself, will others treat you so? What you give you will get?

In the beginning of Roots, kunta keeps thinking about differences.. When he sits outside on lookout in the night he sees a Fulani man guarding his cows holding a light, in the horizon. And it made him think about how many differences there had to be, even from his village to the neighbour village. And he remembered when he visited his uncles' new village he saw people with strange customs and languages - even from his own country gandia(?!).

I didnt know about the mass exodus from haiti :(
And i forgot about tribal wars. That will always be. Is it so that it just seems more extreme when it is black/white or french/gipsy? But in reality it is the same as zulus/zwazi (in the old days) and the other tribal wars throughout the different continets?

What helps us the most is to accept differences, no..? learn from it.. (some cultures are better at it than others.)

Wyclef takes his own shortcut, he simply says all are people and all cultures can mix in a big party, The Carnival! I saw the man last night at a helluva show! It was wild, people loved him and i think he loved the people. He even helped a norwegian girl with a singing talent get a carreer, he had her sing mary j blidge's part of 911. Wyclef said "I get down in brooklyn and i get down in norway!", and when he said that the crowd got wild. He gave respect and got respect.

Hehe, he also said "I've been to england, germany, belgium, stockholm and amsterdam, but there's no place like kristiansand" (the city he was in)..and he made up a song right there and then: "norway - numero uno". He gave much, he showed very much respect (almost too much), and that made the crowd love him.

Give and get.. and it works with wyclef :) The show got a 6 on the dice and the reviewers said the show could have gone on till the break of dawn, literally. He also performed Redemption song, no woman no cry, diallo. It must have left an impression in the crowd.