Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectAfrica, being a continent....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12486&mesg_id=12514
12514, Africa, being a continent....
Posted by JayThree, Thu Jul-05-01 04:43 AM
...has many countries within... and yes, racism against blacks exists -- and has existed. I'm sure you're familiar with the former state of Apartheid in South Africa.

Then there's the racial hatred that's not about skin color, but tribal differences -- the Hutu's and the Tutsi's... the massacre in Rwanda (just to name two).

Then there's the mass exodus from Haiti that occurred when Haitians were being slaughtered left & right. Haitians on flimsy rafts and broken-down boats were drowning in large groups... trying to float their way to America.

Don't get me wrong... I'm aware that there are MANY places one can go where there is no THREAT of racism (there are places right here in my own city where that is the case). However, the "racist" factor exists EVERYWHERE. And, sad to say, the mindset is usually directed towards the "darker" races.

My point is... you're never going to be completely free from ignorance in society... but you may be able to properly distance yourself from it -- so that you don't have to DEAL with it on a constant, face-to-face basis. HOWEVER, that seperation can be acheived without having to move to a different country. AND, just because you move to a different, free-er(sp) country doesn't mean that you WON'T have to deal with it. Nahmean??