Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectExcuse me for being a little dumb...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12410&mesg_id=12464
12464, Excuse me for being a little dumb...
Posted by 5th, Wed Jul-11-01 04:21 AM
...but what exactly are YOU saying?

Emotion is a great motivator to saying things like WTF this and Fuck that et al. At the end of the day, what are you saying to the board-readers with your post rhulah? Great views on what African Americans are'nt doing and dont have. Have you stopped to consider WHY the situation is so.

Do that first. Look up earlier threads & see WHY African Americans are so disadvantaged. Apart from that, we're not discussing who respects who/why.

Does anyone have opinions on what Africa/Africans/African leaders/African Americans can do to HELP THEMSELVES??

I'm of a strong opinion that if Africa is to ever provide for it's people the kind of infrastructure, social & health services, education, overall development, it has to do many things at different levels.

Among them (& in no particular order):

-Set correct priorities on how govt budgets are allocated. Emphasis should be placed on education. Not just to build more schools, but to staff them well & keep teachers teaching. More higher learning institutions with world-class academia. Only through teaching recurrent generations can a level of active conciousness develop within the population. Our people are still sleeping on this global economy!

-Stimulate an entrepreneurial spirit among the people. Entrepreneurs create jobs, not governments. Governments merely facilitate this phenomenon by creating an environment that supports entrepreneurial efforts. Not all will succeed but those who do will probably succeed through utilizing the strengths of the country in question, thus developing it. It may be minerals, cheap labour & manufacturing (as was the case with most of Asia), education leading to specialization in a particular sector (as is the case with India and some Eastern european states in the software programming industry) etc etc.

-Unity and a shared vision among African states. Strength lies in numbers.

-Control of the continents resources and wealth. Directing the income from these resources back into the continent. Not into Swiss bank accounts & fleets of Mercedes Benzes to pacify govt officials. Implementing this point alone will enable everything else to be realized.

-Stop govt. reliance on foreign aid.

If this is OkayActivist, then the question in our minds should be "What can you and I do?"

For starters, actively support efforts to cut 3rd world debt. Their success will create the opportunity Africa needs to achieve all the above.

I'm sure there are many more ppl with opinions on this. Let consctuctive discussion resume.

:The foundation is set. Time to bring in the brick layers. -Kam