Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI know about the tension
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12410&mesg_id=12455
12455, I know about the tension
Posted by Solarus, Thu Jul-12-01 11:44 AM
However it only becomes a problem if you let it. And the problem isn't just ignorance or jealously. There are a myriad of issues involved. My grandfather, "Dese damn African American, dey bad i tell you, dey don't rispek one anudda! Dey bad. Bad, bad!"

But the tension is no more great than the tension that African Americans have for themselves, West Indians have for themselves or Africans have for themselves. Within each of these GENERAL groups of Afrakans you find even more groups with issues with one another.

That's why believing this statement "Africans don't like African Americans," is detrimental. It is untrue as a universal statement and at BEST it is focusing on the negative and not the positive. Thus it is a pitiful and useless statement only hindering the Afrakan healing process.

As for this:
"it always surprises me how intelligent people can make ignorant comments."
Assuming you are talking about my first response. my purpose for making the statement was reached.(ignorant statements call for ignorant responses.) But I'm curious as why you think it was "ignorant?" Is it because I used the word "colored?" I thought it added a nice touch, especially since an AFRICAN AMERICAN friend of mine said, "Don't call be African American, African, Black or nigger. Just call me colored."

Hey I thought it was funny. :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

"Every time you rise from your sleeping state, you have been reincarnated. Every time you recover from a bad experience, you have been reincarnated. Every time you have been given a new lease on life, you have been reincarnated. Every time you breath in and out, take in the fresh breath of life and feel the divine intelligence flowing in and around you, you have been reincarnated."- Mfundishi Bakari

On "love":

"I am in love everyday, whether I am with someone or not. Why? All love is based on a search for spirit. For me love is timeless, transcendent, peaceful, freeing, soul-based, unifying, and enhanced evolution. This is the basis of my activism."- Nettrice, the embodiment of Oshun

"Since we all make up the rules as we go along, love can mean many different things to many different people. But, for me love is a total commitment to understanding that is not limited to just people but is open to the totality of life. As long as we approach love from a fear based mentality and perceive it through veils of guardedness and anxiety, it will always be restricted by our fears."- Mfundishi Bakari