Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI AM dealing with Americans
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12410&mesg_id=12452
12452, I AM dealing with Americans
Posted by Solarus, Thu Jul-12-01 08:02 AM
HTP

My purpose for making that post was to deal with a dentrimental idea that African AMERICANS proclaim (cry) consistently:

"Africans dont like African Americans...."

Why would you say this?

Does a few disparaging comments made by SOME continental Africans make that statement true?

Why wouldn't African like African americans?

The latter question alone causes several open wounds to be expose but also for them to heal.

Then one has to consider the African who dislikes African Americans. More often than not, the African who seriously has a disdain for African Americans usually does so because of jealously. Jealously because African Americans don't readily see how they can enjoy the "comforts" (traps in IMO) that Western/American culture has offer, and deep down they (the Africans in question) want what African Americans possess.

Often African Americans don't realize how UN-African, continental Africans are. Continental Africans in the States are often the children diplomats, World Bank employees, other well-to-do families of the higher classes and/or the product of a highly Western-indoctrinating and African-negating education. So one must then question the African who would negatively comment on the African American.

There are serious problems on both sides of the Atlantic. We have serious and complex family issues to resolve. However, crying "Africans don't like African Americans," is NOT going to help matters AT ALL.

For all of those wondering am I "real," I'm as real as they come. And next time, look at the question and try to answer it to the best of your ability, instead of just making unrelated comments. The purpose of using the word "colored" was to catch your attention, insure comments would be made, and to awaken your emotions as emotions often breakdown any barriers that might hinder one from being TOTALLY HONEST about how they feel.

Finally, I am "black" born to Afrakans from the West Indies who settled in Panama and I was born and raised most of my life in the United States. From my West Indian parentage I can understand any misgivings Africans may have to African American. However upon meeting any continental African, they will most likely assume that I am "African American" but I have NEVER been treated disrespected by FAMILY. Maybe you should check your own ATTITUDES before EVER proclaiming "Africans don't like African Americans."

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

"Every time you rise from your sleeping state, you have been reincarnated. Every time you recover from a bad experience, you have been reincarnated. Every time you have been given a new lease on life, you have been reincarnated. Every time you breath in and out, take in the fresh breath of life and feel the divine intelligence flowing in and around you, you have been reincarnated."- Mfundishi Bakari

On "love":

"I am in love everyday, whether I am with someone or not. Why? All love is based on a search for spirit. For me love is timeless, transcendent, peaceful, freeing, soul-based, unifying, and enhanced evolution. This is the basis of my activism."- Nettrice, the embodiment of Oshun

"Since we all make up the rules as we go along, love can mean many different things to many different people. But, for me love is a total commitment to understanding that is not limited to just people but is open to the totality of life. As long as we approach love from a fear based mentality and perceive it through veils of guardedness and anxiety, it will always be restricted by our fears."- Mfundishi Bakari