Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectSupport appreciated:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12410&mesg_id=12413
12413, Support appreciated:
Posted by 5th, Mon Jul-09-01 06:34 AM
There may be only two responses for now (compared to threads on religion & love which prompt more discussion), but I'm glad someone felt a similar vibe from Common.

No doubt there are'nt that many hip-hoppers in Helsinki compared with the likes of Germany etc, but he still manages to perform this far north. 4 the luv. I was at his Helsinki performance spreading luv in my own way. When i entered the joint Grand Agent was rocking the crowd (do i hear about to blow up??) A couple of straight faced europeans were standing in pretty much the same way your African aquaintance was. I put them at ease by sharing a drink (coke) with them cuz we were all hot & thirsty & common had'nt even hit the stage. What followed can only be experienced, not explained. I ended up on stage (making a fool of myself with whack rhymes) but for a moment i felt what it was like to be in his shoes.

Anyway, of late i've been having a hard time enjoying overground hip-hop cuz of its shallowness. I know music is meant to entertain, but where I'm from, music hides a message within the entertainment it provides. Tanzanian Taarab (poetic music) is laced with hidden meanings and part of the enjoyment of it lies in deciphering what the artist is trying to convey beyond the obvious lyrics.

Yes, Common - talib - mos - roots, transcend race and location to reach global earholes with vibes we can all relate to. I sit in anticipation of Black Thought's masterpiece. Ive waited a lifetime for it (his lyrics were the first to touch my soul when roots dropped 'what they do')

looking for a sig? aaight:
"Songs relevant to the times like the psalms read in the bible" -Talib Chikwii, naa lemme try it again, Kwali, still aint got right; it's pronounced kw-eh-li. In Swahili it means truth.