Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectUNITE against what?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12387&mesg_id=12387
12387, UNITE against what?
Posted by Solarus, Mon Jul-16-01 09:16 AM
HTP

Recently a series of posts have been created arguing for the "unification of ALL people." For anyone to unify, there has to be to common goal or ground on which they stand. Shoutings of:

"I'm for everybody!"

"I'm part of ONE race;the HUMAN race"

"All colors, black, white, yellow, red, purple, blue, teal, pick, silver, fucia, etc. need to come together."

"We have a common enemy!"

are all useless and meaningless when dealing with reality. For you Americans out there, be silent and think for a minute. The point of difference between people often seems to be race but that is largely due to the empirical European framework on which America rests. Now for others outside of the Western Hemisphere the point of reference is not always race.

My question for all of you is: How can ALL people "unite?" Coming from the typical European cultural ethos standpoint, this "unity" is no more than lip-service (rhetorical ethic). The fact remains that there IS NO common enemy. And for all of you who wish to say this, "ignorance" is not an enemy. Ignorance is "not knowing." Not "knowing" of someone and their culture is not the reason for hatred and/or fear of them. No that "xenophobia" is the result of someone's own culture.

Culture is a difference that people often take for granted. Not everyone has the same goals nor sees the world in the same way for those similar goals to exist.

So come on "we-are-the-worlders," UNITE against what, for what, and how?

Show and prove.

PEace
Solarus