Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: We need an agenda!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12303&mesg_id=12379
12379, RE: We need an agenda!
Posted by Nettrice, Sun Jul-15-01 05:22 PM
My mission: "To use the arts and technology to create environments that help people (i.e. Black) empower themselves."

This had been my overarching goal since 1991. For ten years that is what I've have been working on in community-based centers, schools, etc. I don't ask myself what I want to do because I have a mission. I don't ask other people because if they are down we can work together. If not I help others when I can but I am working from my corner.

I guess there is a difference between what I do and what other think I should be doing.

Once I got together with a group of forward-thinking Black folks and we started "The Agenda" at our college. We had a mission and we were very active for nearly two years. We had it covered: weekly discussion forums, guest speakers and meetings with Dr. Jeffries and his group, a DJ and graphic production branch that was generating income, a bi-weekly newsletter and lots of other community interests. But some people had issues with female(s) running things, others wanted to work with white folks, others just wanted to make money and others only wanted to be at parties and club gigs.

By the time I graduated people were going off in different directions. They wanted to do their own things and I was left holding the torch...for a while. I went to grad school in another state and heard that "The Agenda" had lost it's focus. Funny thing was I still had mine. Some of us became successful actors, artists, designers and others still struggle to find a niche. I am one of a few who remained community focused. For a moment in time we were all together, wanting to help the Black community and then it changed.

I am all for a larger agenda but I learned the hard way that everyone (no matter how down they are) has their own personal agenda. That's why I say "start from your corner" and have a climbing mentality. No matter what happens I stay focused. If people at okayactivist truly want to start something then I am all for it but I will never abandon my mission unless I decide to change focus.

I have read enough books, listened to enough speeches and protested enough. I found myself about to be sucked up in a vast Black political vaccuum with a lot of people who were down only for the short-term or down because it looked like a fun/trendy thing to do. Some people just wanted to put themselves up on a pedestal. I decided to take another course (see mission statement above).

"Trials and tribulations make you stronger live longer
You wanna reach the nation nigga start from your corner
Everything in life don't always happen like you plan it
Demand it, overstand it, then you handle it
Fuck wishing, you missing the ambition in your mission
Now you switching, why you quitting 'cuz it's heat in the kitchen?
--Big Boi

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"