Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectOkayActivists in Action
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12270
12270, OkayActivists in Action
Posted by ishereal7, Sun Jun-24-01 05:42 PM
Alright. So we talk a great game, and I'm sure we're all active in our own communities...right? Well, Some of us aren't and I think it would be great if we chose a theme every year or every 6 months to focus on. Then we'd really be the OkayActivists. We could do this nationally or delegate each state to various issues. It not only get some things done in this crazy world we live in, but we'd get to meet, and really work with the people we speak to so often. It's our tym to take control and why not begin with the Hip Hop Nation...we can prove Congress wrong.

pyc!

ishyryl? aka jynyys (for all y'all hatin' on my "y"z)

"intentional or accident? you'll never kno." -kristin
12271, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by guest, Sun Jun-24-01 08:10 PM
that sounds cool to me, but i doubt anyone lives close enough to me for us to get together and take action on ______ (whatever it is)
but i'm all for going solo or getting my friends to help me so whats the theme this week...
12272, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by guest, Mon Jun-25-01 02:48 AM
What about organizing this topic into regional threads? Put me down for NYC.
12273, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by guest, Mon Jun-25-01 03:13 AM
I think the regional approach would work very well indeed, and personally would be committed to the DC project. Uhm, but how do we coordinate such a mass effort? Inboxes? Whatever the case, holla at ur boy and I will make it so. I grew up here in DC, and no matter how much my grandma would tell me the world will make itself better, I watch my neighborhood diminsh in quality, privacy, and self respect everyday. Why cant those of us fresh up out the hood with these degrees and jobs do a lil somethin somethin b4 this economy crashes and we all lookin stuck like the Reagen years of the 80s??!! **OK, I know it was a run-on sentence, filled with country grammar, but somebody feelin me tho, right?** :-) Peace.

Look me in my eyes and tell me what you see/ do you think I'm crazy?/Or just bein me/ Sometimes I want to die/ Maybe then I'll be free/ Free from all this bullshit that constantly surronds/ Have visions in my head/ I see when I'm asleep/I dont wish to discuss them/it seems I'm in to deep/I'm tired of being stepped on/ and passed around like weed/ look me in my eyes and tell me what you see...(Scarface)

I came into this world high as a bird/From second hand cocaine powder/I know that sounds absurd/I may appear to be ur average Joe/but even Joe got problems that he got to joust with/ In this life of Kibbles and Bits/ u just cant quit/aint that a bitch?/That be in heat/I'm on the beat/ Like cops/Dont concentrate on knockin other niggas out the box..cuz in a since see we all be kinda fly/Just cant be scared to spread your wings/Move to better things/Maybe the mockingbird jus wants to sing/Keepin this thing alive to the table this what we bring/We like halestorms and blizzards in the middle of your screen EXTRATERRESTRIAAAAAAL. Outtta this world mayne (Andre 3000)
12274, dc baby
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jun-25-01 06:30 AM
i'd be interested

==**peace**==

"The logic of divide and rule is still valid today." Capleton

DomePoem Poets; Vibe Nation; One ppl under the spoken word
12275, DC/Northern VA/Maryland
Posted by guest, Sun Jul-01-01 11:38 AM
Northern Va has just as many problems as DC and so does Maryland, they're all connected. We live in a political hotbead but the only ones sleeping in the nice big comfortable bed are the rebublicans with their BMW's and nice houses and continuous record for voting for big business. There are a lot of resources in this area if somebody knew how to get them and use them. If anybody from the DC/VA/Maryland area is down to start something, let me know. We have so many issues to pick from it's not even funny.

ishin25@hotmail.com
AIM: Ish Skywalker

12276, RE: DC/Northern VA/Maryland
Posted by ChocoLaTee, Mon Jul-02-01 04:24 AM
I'm in Maryland and I'm interested in doing something. Just let me know.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"Writing can be cleansing, but there have been times in my life when even the writing is not enough to cleanse"- Stephanie Byrd

12277, RE: DC/Northern VA/Maryland
Posted by guest, Mon Jul-02-01 05:32 PM
Got an IM or an email?
12278, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by ishereal7, Thu Jun-28-01 07:01 PM
There are a lot of DC okpz, so it shouldn't be hard to contact people. u just have to figure out who is willing to really do this. I live about 4 hours from there, so if there was ever an event or a weekend i could make it up there to meet everyone, i could probably come. But this really has to be something we start in our individual cities so that we move at a faster pace. Then, we can rely on one another for support and ideas. Any suggestions? Comments? Concerns? This is real grassroots and we've basically got to get out there and just get dirty to clean things up. Just get involved somewhere and get other people, they don't even have to be okpz, but it would help.

pyc!

12279, I'd be down to help in DC
Posted by Dutterman, Sat Jul-07-01 06:32 PM
I go to school down there and I want to get involved in the community, especially if its with other okayplayers.
12280, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by ishereal7, Thu Jun-28-01 06:52 PM
i apologize for my tardy response...i'm job huntin' and it's hard to get to this computer at night. n e wayz, where are u from. it would have to be a collaborative effort among the people in ur area, b/c if we try to organize on a large scale things may not work to our advantage. lemme kno where u are and we may be able to work out a way for u to get involved.

pyc!

12281, chicagoactivists
Posted by wbgirl, Mon Jun-25-01 07:58 AM

we're doing our thing.
our mentoring program ('infinite possibilities') kicked off this past saturday.

we're working on our website.

it's gonna be fantabulous.

interested? send a note to hiphop3000@hotmail.com and we'll add you to our mailing list.

i'm also working on a new list of volunteer opps in chicago: let me know if you have anything i should add to my list.

that is all. :-)

~~wbg~~
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
(you can't say i didn't warn you: take
any issues to my inbox)
http://www.bethepeople.com
http://www.chicagoactivist.org (under
construction)
so it's l.a. next year, right? start saving now!
"'I wonder,' Pearline says, 'what would happen if every time a colored woman opened her mouth she told the truth.'
'She might say something go down in history,' Vennie decides."
(c) Joyce Carol Thomas "House of Light"
12282, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by ishereal7, Thu Jun-28-01 06:57 PM
I think all Pittsburgh activists should hook up with the national council for urban peace and justice. they need a lot of volunteers...i see no point in organizing another program, when there's already one that needs the support and help we can provide.

National Council for Urban Peace and Justice (NCUPJ)
http://www.ncupj.org

Ask for Christina McNease in reference to Volunteer Services.
Say Charis Walker referred you, so they kno how u found out.
Check out the website so u have an idea how u can help. Then if we wanna do some things on our own, like have a cookout in the park, we've already got an organization behind us to help with it. This could work!

pyc!

12283, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by knumskul, Fri Jun-29-01 06:13 AM
Count me in. I'm in Cali.
12284, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by guest, Fri Jun-29-01 06:35 AM
6-0-Dos representin...Respect to all tha reAlZ...Yo...on tha topic mentioned; I AGREE. Yes. Let's DO some'n....and do it quick. Stop talking about gettin it 2getha and flashin peace signs and make it GENUINE. I'm down for whaddeva...I love kids, and I like feedin folks and shit...So, lemme KNOW some'n...I might be a rufnek, but I got a job, and I ain't selfish....Ya'll serious about making a difference? COOL. Let's bring back that Spirit that kept it movin back in tha 60's,OKP's...Holla at a nek, aight? Email iz: RUFFRIDA27@HOTMAIL.COM...

P.S. It don't hurt if niggaz go to Church, ya'll...Keep ya Spirit fed and full...You'll be able to do MORE. More easily, cause you'll be COMPELLED to do it, not for nuttin else.
ONE LUV, ONE NATION...Death to capitalism.

-dOk
12285, We're down for the cause.
Posted by guest, Fri Jun-29-01 11:10 AM
I'd gladly like to extend the services of the Order of Jediah Knights to the cause. We have our own mission with our own activities, but anybody who actually asks for help is deffinitely worth giving help to. I commend you. I think you will all agree that we can never really do enough to make progress. There are so many things that need to be addressed, where do you start? Do you start with the homeless, do you start with the innercities, do you start by attacking large corporations, do you start by attacking the local politicians in your area? One has a variety of options when thinking of doing something like this. Try to decide which avenues you want to travel down, or if you're lucky you can find enough people who have differing strengths and backgrounds and that way you can focus on multiple things. Some focusing on legal issues, some focusing on political issues, some focusing on education issues, etc. Decide an immeditate plan of action, and then immediately persue it. This can work easily, if you simply want it to.

12286, Bronx Activists
Posted by Restlesspoet, Fri Jun-29-01 04:07 PM
A friend of mine is looking for some things to do out there.

"I want to tell my brothers on the street to get off but if I tell them that my question is where do I bring them to."

Anybody got anything I can send him? He's down for whatever he said, so as long its near the Bronx im sure he would appreciate it.

Also as far as CHI goes, will the infinite possibilites program be year round? I want to help out when summer school ends.

AIM: Restlesspt
Yahoo: restlesspoet

Shout out to them
B.A.M. (Bad Azz Muthafuckaz)
Restlesspoet (resident alcoholic & mr. i dont give a fuck)
Brainchild (the brains of the operation)
Da Knife (the sharpest muthafucka)
Sonlight (booty pincher & gonzo of the group)

Y'all know its "Murda on that azz"

"Come on now, RAAAVVVEEE!" Sonlight
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/brain/sonlightsings.ram
"desecration at it's finest" says latenitemix
12287, RE: Bronx Activists
Posted by ishereal7, Sat Jun-30-01 03:18 AM
I don't want you to think no one cares. It's just that I have to find a good organization in the Bronx for your friend to affiliate with. I'll try to reply as soon as possible, I'll have to make a phone call and do some searching, but I know I'll find something great.

pyc!

12288, thanx.
Posted by Restlesspoet, Sat Jun-30-01 04:02 AM
this was the first place i thought of when he mentioned to me.
thanks to everyone win advance

>I don't want you to think
>no one cares. It's
>just that I have to
>find a good organization in
>the Bronx for your friend
>to affiliate with. I'll
>try to reply as soon
>as possible, I'll have to
>make a phone call and
>do some searching, but I
>know I'll find something great.
>
>
>pyc!
>
>ishyryl? aka jynyys (for all
>y'all hatin' on my "y"z)
>
>
>"intentional or accident? you'll never
>kno." -kristin

Shout out to them

Dear VIEWASKVWJ,
If Common ever comes up to you and calls you a "Cracker" and then "Slaps you in the face" WHUPP HIS ASS! Dont buy his CD, WHUPP HIS ASS! At that point, you should not be thinking about shopping for cds, you should be thinking about "WHUPPIN' HIS ASS", not Track number 9, Not track number 3, not track number 15, ALL YOU SHOULD BE THINKING ABOUT IS WHUPPIN' COMMONS ASS!
ps
If anyone else comes up to you and calls you a "Cracker" and "Slaps you in the face" WHUPP THERE ASS TOO!
just a little advice bra -HIM

daveyg: well...i licked a battery when i was young, weird sensation
RemyMartin: The 9 volt jawnts...
daveyg: car
RemyMartin: **blink, blink, blank stare**

12289, RE: thanx.
Posted by ishereal7, Sun Jul-01-01 07:09 PM
you're welcome. my contact would like a little background on your friend. What are his interests? Is he more interested in youth or politics, social justice or homelessness? Ask him a few questions about what he'd like to do.

pyc!

12290, inbox. nm
Posted by Restlesspoet, Mon Jul-02-01 02:51 PM
>you're welcome. my contact would like
>a little background on your
>friend. What are his
>interests? Is he more
>interested in youth or politics,
>social justice or homelessness?
>Ask him a few questions
>about what he'd like to
>do.
>
>pyc!
>
>ishyryl? aka jynyys (for all
>y'all hatin' on my "y"z)
>
>
>"intentional or accident? you'll never
>kno." -kristin

Shout out to them

Idiocy In Action:
Idiot No 1: If you go to Africa son, you'll be right back here. I love America, I mean kid ain't no place like it on Earth. I'm not trying to go to Africa, unless im on tour. I'm not going to the Middle East either. Well except for Egypt. Im just not going to go to the part of Egypt that's in Africa.

Dear VIEWASKVWJ,
If Common ever comes up to you and calls you a "Cracker" and then "Slaps you in the face" WHUPP HIS ASS! Dont buy his CD, WHUPP HIS ASS! At that point, you should not be thinking about shopping for cds, you should be thinking about "WHUPPIN' HIS ASS", not Track number 9, Not track number 3, not track number 15, ALL YOU SHOULD BE THINKING ABOUT IS WHUPPIN' COMMONS ASS!
ps
If anyone else comes up to you and calls you a "Cracker" and "Slaps you in the face" WHUPP THERE ASS TOO!
just a little advice bra -HIM

daveyg: well...i licked a battery when i was young, weird sensation
RemyMartin: The 9 volt jawnts...
daveyg: car
RemyMartin: **blink, blink, blank stare**

12291, RE: Bronx Activists--District 10 school
Posted by guest, Mon Jul-02-01 04:16 AM
I dont' know if you're aware of the proposed school site for IS368 in Marble Hill (bronx). The Concerned Parents of District 10 are fighting to stop the construction of this school on a site proven to be full of toxins. The real reason for the proposal is that parents in Riverdale want an 'exclusive' school for their kids even though it means putting the children and teachers of Marble Hill in real danger. If you're interested, you can email me at dist6coalition@aol.com for more info.
12292, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by wolfie, Sat Jun-30-01 09:33 AM
i would do it, but i'm in high school and in nj. if you've got any info on stuff i could do i would appreciate it!

~~~OKAYoungin' representin'~~~

check my photo portfolio: http://www.geocities.com/wolfie20501/master_page.html

http://wolfpack.diaryland.com/

"I'M AN ATOM! I'M AN ATOM!!"~SHU

"You'll get toast like a Thomas' and it's a promise kid your English will get muffined" ~Sunz of Man

"If we were made in His image then call us buy our names. Most intellects do not believe in God but they fear us just the same....." ~Erykah Badu

Me: Holly, you should really drink water, it is vital for keeping your cells hydrated and for the transporation of nutrients.
Holly: (flailing arms) WATER'S POISONOUS!!!!
Me: Okay... just don't hurt me.

THE MAD BIKER ROCKS MY WORLD!!!!

Come on guys, school isn't about learning!! ~ Kovacs (my bio teacher)

It's not about what you believe or what you think is right or wrong! ~ Mrs. Gary

*DISCLAIMER*
I can't spell

~wolfie~

12293, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by ishereal7, Sun Jul-01-01 07:51 PM
There are a number of orgs you can join. Just by doing a web search you can find a place. If you have the energy, you can start a group in your high school. All the participants wouldn't have to be okps, either. As long as you all are accomplishing something in the school or surrounding community, whether it's education on social issues or school clean-up committee. Let me kno what part of NJ you're from, so I can narrow your search. I have a friend who I've contacted to see if she can help me in a search, but it would be easier if you gave me a specific location (city). If you're interested in started a school organization, you need to come up with a mission. It will help you define who you are as a group and separate you from other groups and clubs in school. There are a range of things you can do within the school (a diversity club, Afrikan Action Society, student mediators, student mentors, tutoring, culture club...so many).

Lemme kno sumthin'!

pyc!

12294, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by wolfie, Mon Jul-02-01 05:20 AM
i'm in mercer county, so the closest city to my school is Trenton.

thanks for the advice.

~~~OKAYoungin' representin'~~~

check my photo portfolio: http://www.geocities.com/wolfie20501/master_page.html

http://wolfpack.diaryland.com/

"I'M AN ATOM! I'M AN ATOM!!"~SHU

"You'll get toast like a Thomas' and it's a promise kid your English will get muffined" ~Sunz of Man

"If we were made in His image then call us buy our names. Most intellects do not believe in God but they fear us just the same....." ~Erykah Badu

Me: Holly, you should really drink water, it is vital for keeping your cells hydrated and for the transporation of nutrients.
Holly: (flailing arms) WATER'S POISONOUS!!!!
Me: Okay... just don't hurt me.

THE MAD BIKER ROCKS MY WORLD!!!!

Come on guys, school isn't about learning!! ~ Kovacs (my bio teacher)

It's not about what you believe or what you think is right or wrong! ~ Mrs. Gary

*DISCLAIMER*
I can't spell

~wolfie~

12295, yea, I'm feelin this.
Posted by sandata, Sat Jun-30-01 11:43 AM
I'm in high school and at Frisco, Cali.

right now i'm working on the Books Not Bars campaign against Alameda County's plan to build the biggest per capita juvenile hall in this country. the County Board of Supervisors is about to approve $100 million in loans to expand juvenile hall to a 540 bed capacity.

Mo' info: http://www.booksnotbars.org

Anybody that wants to get involved, contact me by email or inbox and I'll send you more info.
No power like the youth!!!!!!!!:7

\\ SANDATA \\
]email: drylongsowhat@yahoo.com
]aim: wisedumb
]go here: http://www.youthec.org
--> Youth Empowerment Center <--
* SOUL (School of Unity & Liberation)
* Youth Force Coalition
* C-Beyond
* Lets Get Free (formerly Third Eye Movement)
* Underground Railroad
-The Coup
can also be used to chop people's
heads off dpending on your intentions.
12296, detroit activists
Posted by UrbanCowgRRL, Sun Jul-01-01 10:32 AM
know who to call...

but i'm fraid there ain't many!
12297, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by ishereal7, Sat Jul-07-01 05:37 PM
I just want to keep this topic recent so that this idea doesn't become a fad.

pyc!

12298, Prison Industrial Complex?
Posted by unity, Sat Jul-07-01 06:17 PM
There are many issues surrounding this issue, from racial profiling to funding for mass prison construction and incarceration taking away from funding education...

This is an issue that okayactivists around the country could rally around and take a regional approach to...

Anyone else in the Boston/NY/CT/Philly area let me know if you are interested in participating in some activities already being planned.

"You are the revolution,.....don't wait to see it on the 6 o'clock news. Bear witness to yourself."
--Wise_7

"theres' so much tension and hate in the world that the act of love to your neighbor is trully revolutionary...it's all about thinking differently than the mainstream concerns of now. "
--mayhem

"SO POWERFUL IS THE LIGHT OF UNITY THAT IT CAN ILLUMINATE THE WHOLE EARTH."
--Baha'u'llah
12299, RE: Prison Industrial Complex?
Posted by guest, Thu Jul-12-01 02:59 AM
I just wanted to through in that Philadelphia has a really great program called Philadelphia cares. It has projects for all interests plus room for any new ideas. I went to my first meeting last night just to get a good idea of the program and some of the upcoming events. For example in October there is something where volunteers (they had more then 10,000 last year) go to public philadelphia schools through out the city and do any maintence work need so that the kids can come back to school on monday with better class rooms, playgrounds, ect. Anyway i would definately recommend this group especially if you just want to volunteer but aren't sure what your main interests are. Plus they are very flexible around work and school schedules. If you want to check it out i think the web site is, www.philacares.com.

"The road of life is rocky. And you may stumble too. So while you point your fingers, someone else is judging you." Marley
12300, RE: Prison Industrial Complex?
Posted by cindylu, Wed Jul-18-01 09:32 AM
Great issue to work on since it affects so many communities of color. I know its a hot topic in California especially with the 3-strikes Law and an initiative on last year's ballot that increases penalties for youth convicted of crimes, and lowered the age to 14 that a youth can be tried as an adult for a violent crime. I think its affects will be felt greatly on a public education system that is already suffering greatly.

A quick fact in the last 21 years there were 21 prisons built and only one new public university. Would they rather jail youth than educate them?

Cindy-lu

"Isn't a bad girl almost like a boy?"
-- Maxine Hong Kingston
12301, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by ishereal7, Wed Jul-18-01 09:19 AM
plyz continue to talk to each other about buildin' our communities and planning action. hafta keep this thread goin'.

pyc!

12302, RE: OkayActivists in Action
Posted by guest, Wed Jul-18-01 09:29 AM
uhhhhhh anyone in Kansas??? (lol yah fuckin right). One Love.