Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: The Black Middle Class
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12176&mesg_id=12186
12186, RE: The Black Middle Class
Posted by tha8thjewel, Sun Jul-22-01 03:25 AM
SirLau -- man, that's a good question, but I think it should be in that other post. For now, just leave it at leadership and the fact that there are a lot of progressive politics in BGLOs that no one knows about and many members don't even comprehend.....

>I'm interested in this part of
>your post.
>
>>So, the black middle class itself
>>is useless, but is necessary
>>as an incubator for the
>>next niggaz who may bring
>>the pain to this distressed
>>system we live in.
>
>Could you please elaborate?
>
For real, Afrakan-Americans have NEVER had the access to knowledge while living on these shores that we have now. Without the gains of the black middle class, we still wouldn't. Now, grant me that most people are afraid to access knowledge and of the ones that aren't most are afraid to use that knowledge. Now, this last group is the group that either fosters or initiates "structural transformation". What the black middle class has afforded us is the ability to build the base that can either transmit the mores of the next movement or else start it ourselves. One of the most poorly understood phenomena is radical social movements and how they tend to occur when people have a lot and are getting it taken away....

>And if the black middle class
>is useless, what are you
>fighting for?

Freedom, man. Something I think we only vaguely have a concept of anymore. And I think we have to rediscover what that is first.