Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectYou're really funny, Ho.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=1214&mesg_id=1278
1278, You're really funny, Ho.
Posted by Expertise, Sat Jun-12-04 07:45 PM
So we're supposed to think that Castro sent all these professionals, laborers, construction workers, weapons, and soldiers there, yet he had NO interest in the island?

Who do you REALLY think you're fooling?

- over 700 Cubans are there of all fascets.

- Weapon caches, of Soviet design, were stashed by the thousands.

- They are constructing an airport.

- Radio Grenada was reported to be espousing communist rhetoric and was hostile to towards the U.S.

- There were Soviets and Eastern Europeans found on the island.

- Bishop and Castro did meet and extend trade relations amongst the two countries.

Yet, Castro has no interest in turning Grenada into a Marxist nation, despite investing so many resources into the country.

Right.

I mean, what is there to prove? All you've really done is answered the questions for me, yet denied every intention of Castro to make Grenada a communist satellite.

Even you said if there was 100,000 Cuban soldiers on that island that I couldn't justify military action in Grenada. The simple fact is that you know as well as I do that Castro and Bishop's regime were doing all it could to establish strong relations.

so let's take these points one by one:

>1) There has never been any evidence
>which suggests the airport was going to be
>used for military purposes. Period.

The regime was partially funded and supported by Castro and had already received weapons and equipment. Castro had invested a considerable amount of resources into that country, and over 700 Cubans were on the island when U.S. Forces invaded.

>2) There has never been any evidence
>which suggests that those medical
>students were in danger.

Bishop and his supporters within the regime was assassinated in a coup that killed over 100 people. There was a curfew placed on that island where if anyone came out of their homes they would be shot.

The danger was placed on not just the students, but the whole island. And it was evident once U.S. Forces invaded, as most of the island were thankful that they were finally there to restore order and safety.

And, of course, there are still statements made by students themselves:

“I was in my first year of medical school, and there was a coup going on in Grenada,” said Shapiro, now a surgeon in Las Vegas. “As students, we were pretty immune to the whole thing at first, but then these rebels grabbed the prime minister and his cabinet and executed them.

“We found out what was going on that afternoon, when they declared martial law and said that anyone caught outside of their homes would be shot on sight,” Shapiro said. “The U.S. government kept trying to negotiate our release, but there was no way to get us off the island, because the rebels wouldn’t give permission for any military planes to come in and get us.”

http://www2.acc.af.mil/accnews/jul01/01229.html

There were also reports of students falling on their knees and kissing the tarmac once the plane had landed in Charleston.

>3) There was no justifiable reason to
>illegally invade Grenada.

This I already stated above. You killed the whole premise of this by the "100,000 Cuban soldiers" statement. Castro could set up 10,000 missles on that island and you'd still think the U.S. shouldn't do anything and have nothing to worry about, which of course, you're full of shit.

The fact is that the United States had a vested interest in stopping the spread of communism within Latin and South America, as well as the Caribbean, and it was done in that regard. Whether or not you think it was "illegal" is irrelevant, especially since Castro or any other communist ever abided by "international law".

>4) For someone who claims to cherish
>libertarian ideals, you sure don't
>mind government intervention so long
>as it's carried out by one of your
>so-called "conservative" butt buddies.

I don't mind action taken against communist governments. That's all there is to it.

And it's funny that you try to deride the United States for actions that the Soviets and Castro were doing for decades: the funding of armies and rebel groups designed to overthrow governments, movement of troops in Central and South America as well as in Africa, supplies of weapons and equipment to Marxist governments that have led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people...so don't even try it. You and Fidel Castro are full of shit, and as for Castro, has been for decades.

"General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!" - Brandenburg Gate, June 12. 1987

"From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? All of us together, in and out of government, must bear the burden. The solutions we seek must be equitable, with no one group singled out to pay a higher price." - Inaguration Speech, January 20, 1981.

"Yet this year we have to work even harder at summoning the vigor to tell the American people the truth and the vigor to ask their help, to remind them that what they do this November will decide whether the days of high taxes and higher spending, the days of economic stagnation and skyrocketing inflation, the days of national malaise and international humiliation, the days of "blame America first" and "inordinate fear of communism" will all come roaring back at us once again." - Forward For Freedom, 1986.

"What I am describing now is a plan and a hope for the long term -- the march of freedom and democracy which will leave Marxism-Leninism on the ash heap of history as it has left other tyrannies which stifle the freedom and muzzle the self-expression of the people." - Evil Empire Speech, June 8, 1982