Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectObjectivity
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12064&mesg_id=12127
12127, Objectivity
Posted by Solarus, Thu Jul-19-01 06:57 AM
Akwaaba

Main Entry: 1ob·jec·tive
Pronunciation: &b-'jek-tiv, äb-
Function: adjective
Date: 1620
1 a : relating to or existing as an object of thought without consideration of independent existence -- used chiefly in medieval philosophy b : of, relating to, or being an object , phenomenon, or condition in the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers : having reality independent of the mind <objective reality> <our reveries... are significantly and repeatedly shaped by our transactions with the objective world -- Marvin Reznikoff> -- compare SUBJECTIVE 3a c of a symptom of disease : perceptible to persons other than the affected individual -- compare SUBJECTIVE 4c d : involving or deriving from sense perception or experience with actual objects , conditions, or phenomena <objective awareness> <objective data>
2 : relating to, characteristic of, or constituting the case of words that follow prepositions or transitive verbs
3 a : expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations <objective art> <an objective history of the war> <an objective judgment> b of a test : limited to choices of fixed alternatives and reducing subjective factors to a minimum

If you want to truly understood Afrakan thought, you must (at least temporarily) set aside this emphasis on "objectivity." A synonym of "objective" is "material." Objectivity is based on things material which in turn is limited when discussing spiritual systems. This is not emphasized nor valued when concerning a thing's "importance" within Afrakan culture. Also "objectivity" is the end result of the "either/or" dichotomy within Western thought. This severely limits the perspective of the Divine among Afrakans.

And often claims at "objectivity" are false claims that people used to assert the validity and importance of their own beliefs.

>
>Response: But that makes it subjective.
>If I have a concept
>of God and you have
>a concept of God then
>there is no objective reasoning
>to agree with either one
>of us. My view of
>God is objective.It's not my
>own reasoning

Your view of God is objective TO YOU. It isn't your own reasoning but it is an ACCEPTED reasoning by people like yourself. A reasoning that is NOT accepted by ALL people. Therefore when considering every single person on the planet, your view of God IS SUBJECTIVE to only a certain number of people as MILLIONS of people do not accept that view of being true.

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

"Every time you rise from your sleeping state, you have been reincarnated. Every time you recover from a bad experience, you have been reincarnated. Every time you have been given a new lease on life, you have been reincarnated. Every time you breath in and out, take in the fresh breath of life and feel the divine intelligence flowing in and around you, you have been reincarnated."- Mfundishi Bakari

On "love":

"I am in love everyday, whether I am with someone or not. Why? All love is based on a search for spirit. For me love is timeless, transcendent, peaceful, freeing, soul-based, unifying, and enhanced evolution. This is the basis of my activism."- Nettrice, the embodiment of Oshun

"Since we all make up the rules as we go along, love can mean many different things to many different people. But, for me love is a total commitment to understanding that is not limited to just people but is open to the totality of life. As long as we approach love from a fear based mentality and perceive it through veils of guardedness and anxiety, it will always be restricted by our fears."- Mfundishi Bakari