Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthe paradox of stitting in ignorance...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12030&mesg_id=12061
12061, the paradox of stitting in ignorance...
Posted by lidawg, Fri Jul-27-01 05:22 PM
moving forward, and changing one's thought process

I think everyone here has made some very valid points. And to put some more substantial backing to my words, I'm gonna give a small bit of a personal experience. My mother for years used to criticize me for wanting to wear what in my opinion were comfy clothes (e.g. jeans, t-shirts, sweats). It was until I got to my undergrad institution that I was able to develop appreciation for me and not live underneath that oppressive rock of someone else's (who is very dear to me mind you) standards. Even now as a grad student, I must make myself remember who am I for me and not someone else. It's hard not to be influenced by external stimuli as Alek has pointed out. But also, as guerilla love pointed out, it's possible to change your outlook on self. You just have to have patience with yourself and your process/progress. I won't lie and act like there aren't times that I'm not self-conscious about myself but I do think I do a good job of putting that *ish* back on the shelf by saying "I love me completely now". yeah, I know..sounds kinda Iyanla Vanzant-like but it works, ya heard? Sorry if I piggy-backed too much.

peace and blessings!

Lidawg

"I know that loving you don't make no sense. I guess that's why I like it."--Res