Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectstandards and inadequacy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12030
12030, standards and inadequacy
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 04:25 AM
if you ascribe to the kings and queens and gods and goddesses schools of thought, but use those standards as a benchmark for your own inadequacy (for example, saying that a queen or a goddess is someone who is completely self assured and you have moments of self consciousness, so you're working toward it but not quite there), how are you any better off than if you ascribe to tradional western schools of thought and use those standards to benchmark your inadequacy?

if you believe that natural beauty is true beauty, but you still work to make yourself beautiful, how are you any better off?

are you one of the people on the board who is overjoyed to giggle about utma's dread extensions and womanhating affection for strippers and strip clubs more than you were ever overjoyed to discover a black man who professed to know peace and live a clean and healthy life?

i said it before, and i wanna say it again. i truly deeply madly believe that self consciousness is the root of all evil.

and any system of standards that sets you up to be self conscious is a bad system and a method of perpetuating opression.

we have to get over ourselves- be at peace with ourselves- before we can improve anything else. in the meantime, the only thing that we'll bring to anyone is harm.

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

i believe in education and empowerment through art. i believe that movements happen when ideas are set to music. bodies and people come together through dance and movement, eyes awaken in the face of a good movie, and whatever ya gotta say is useless unless you can use these tools to reach right into people

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

"The logic of divide and rule is still valid today." Capleton

DomePoem Poets; Vibe Nation; One ppl under the spoken word
12031, having said that,
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 04:28 AM
do militaristic methods of teaching feed off of self consciousness and self hate?

what else can/do they feed off of?

and in what ways are these methods just transferences of opressive methods? using the masters tools to destroy the masters house even as you discount the masters tools-

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

i believe in education and empowerment through art. i believe that movements happen when ideas are set to music. bodies and people come together through dance and movement, eyes awaken in the face of a good movie, and whatever ya gotta say is useless unless you can use these tools to reach right into people

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

12032, you know what I'm going to say...
Posted by alek, Mon Jul-23-01 12:18 PM
>do militaristic methods of teaching feed
>off of self consciousness and
>self hate?

Usually.

>what else can/do they feed off
>of?

Love and optimism (I'm not joking).

Let me explain something.

Some people wake up like this every morning:

"Today I have to try again to prove that mankind isn't selfish, apathetic, and wasteful -- but I'll probably fail because everyone around me just doesn't get it and never will."

Or like this:

"Another day fighting the unending battle against the oppressive forces of cynicism, ignorance, and corporate greed! Fuck America!"

If either of these was me, I'd stay in bed and watch _Wayne's World_ all day because it's too fucking negative and discouraging.

So instead, I try to wake up like this:

"Okay, today I'm going to take at least one more step in the right direction. If it's a good day, I'll take two and we can get some change here."

It's equally radical, but it doesn't shrivel up your soul and make it all miopic and angry.

Alek
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 12:24 PM
wake up in the morning
look out the window
and say thank you for another day

that's my personal favorite

even better, if you can do it, is the reunion i have with my husband every morning. a bug hug and kiss and an "i love you sweetie" while he kicks my lazy ass outta the bed using every free limb he can muster, screaming "you'll be late for work!" and i try to scramble back in and clutch at pillows to wop him good with.

but then again i'm not very militaristic myself (more of an after-school special type, i'm told)

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12034, know what puts me in a good mood?
Posted by alek, Mon Jul-23-01 02:25 PM
tapping my girlfriend on the forehead while she's still asleep, and saying

"Get (tap)...The (tap)...Fuck (tap)...Up (tap)!" x100

until she knees me in the groin.

Alek

Posted by guerilla_love, Tue Jul-24-01 03:39 AM
==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12036, True
Posted by Nettrice, Mon Jul-23-01 04:37 AM
And, for me, doing that (finding peace) meant breaking away from everything I knew, that was in my life, including family and friends. I had to reinvent myself, start re-conditioning myself and be by myself. I had to learn how to value solitude and study up. I had to look in the mirror and be honest. I had to let go, surrender and define spirit for my self.

Most important, I try to be myself at all times, from my name to my sig, to my personal values. Integrity in important to me.

The funny thing is that there are plenty of people who would try and shoot this down, bring me down, get all into what I am trying to do for myself rather than focus on what they need to do for themselves. That is what Western culture has done. Anything that is working from another angle is a threat or needs to be attacked. This used to bother me but I am letting it go.

"Trials and tribulations make you stronger live longer
You wanna reach the nation nigga start from your corner
Everything in life don't always happen like you plan it
Demand it, overstand it, then you handle it
Fuck wishing, you missing the ambition in your mission
Now you switching, why you quitting 'cuz it's heat in the kitchen?
--Big Boi

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"
12037, rgv said it best
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 04:37 AM
someone posted "i don't believe in god"

and she answered: "you don't have to. god believes in you."

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12038, ANother Perspective
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jul-23-01 05:02 AM
The original poster says self-conscienous is the root of all evil. Actually that's not very far off from the Christian Perspective that Vanity is the Source of All Evil.

"Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity."
-Ecclesiastes 12:7-9

From Serial Killers to White Liars are motivated by narcissism.

Bored at Work.
12039, vanity?
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 05:08 AM
but pride is a beautiful thing

i'm not sure i get yr point..... how are the offenders listed motivated by vanity? you mean a craving of self confidence of esteem?

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12040, get over self-consciousness?
Posted by bshelly, Mon Jul-23-01 05:19 AM

How? Are you able to absorb how another person smells, see how another person sees, think how another person thinks?

Any concept of a group mind (see also Rousseau, Marx, and countless B-grade sci fi movies) is not feasible in the real world. We are distinct physical vessels, so there's always going to be some elements that separate us from one another and, yes, some part of self-consciousness.

-----
"Save the shit talking for when you actually do something significant (like make it to the Finals and actually win a game against the Lakers)." -zaheer on Sixers fans

on an unrelated note, shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit--we the SHIZNIT.

now playing: bshelly's list of eternally cool things (in no particular order)

"Black Power", old school lunches, saying Scott Stevens is on "some MOP shit" ((c) DonKnutts), Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat, Chowdafest, Maceo Parker, "Be My Baby", "what you don't have, you don't need it now", 4/20, blonds in sundresses, "Hey! How ya doin? Sorry you can't get through. Why doncha leave your name and your number, and I'll get back to you.", trading Tinky Winky's sorry-ass NHL 2001 character to the Wild and putting a bounty on his ass, and Fred "the Hammer" Nietzsche
12041, i'm not talkin abt a group mind
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 05:31 AM
don't know what a group mind is but it sounds pretty bizarre to me, like, as u suggested, some crazy sci-fi flick with all these ppl plugged into one seething disembodied brain

i'm talkin abt the way that self consciousness, which is extremely different from self awareness, corrodes so many people

think abt, for example, the difference between putting on comfy clothes that you feel comfy in and going out- in which case you feel very comfortable the whole night and rarely think again abt your outfit or even notice that you're wearing clothes and spending hours finding the perfect outfit, tryin stuff on and hating how you look in it, and then, after all that time of self doubt, going out and meeting the world- does that make more sense? we psych ourselves out.

there are always people who are uncomfortable with us believing in ourselves. why the hell would we want to perpetuate that in our own space minds and homes?

hell no

i am me

an that's a fkn cool thing

an a good jumpin off point

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12042, RE: standards and inadequacy
Posted by guest, Mon Jul-23-01 05:38 AM
you can not seperate yourself and your thoughts from being influenced by the community in which you live and their views and standards. this is a part of being human. we are social animals.

insecurities can either cripple you, or motivate you to do great things.
12043, RE: standards and inadequacy
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 05:50 AM
>you can not seperate yourself and your thoughts from being influenced
>by the community in which you live and their views
>and standards. this is a part of being human. we
>are social animals.

so what's the use in tryin, right? if i was raised kkk, then that's it, i'm kkk. i think u're giving up too easily. yes, your environment will always have some kinda influence on you, and it's important to recognize that influence. but that doesn't exempt you from free thought. are all vegetarians raised vegetarian?

>insecurities can either cripple you, or motivate you to do great things.

what the hell kinda great things can be accomplished if they're driven by insecurities?

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12044, RE: standards and inadequacy
Posted by guest, Mon Jul-23-01 06:11 AM
>>you can not seperate yourself and your thoughts from being influenced
>>by the community in which you live and their views
>>and standards. this is a part of being human. we
>>are social animals.
>
>so what's the use in tryin,
>right? if i was raised
>kkk, then that's it, i'm
>kkk. i think u're giving
>up too easily. yes, your
>environment will always have some
>kinda influence on you, and
>it's important to recognize that
>influence. but that doesn't exempt
>you from free thought. are
>all vegetarians raised vegetarian?

"your
>environment will always have some
>kinda influence on you"

this is all i said basically and that these external influences on your thoughts will ALWAYS influence you no matter what. you can choose to do whatever, but how think will always be determined a great deal by external sources, for better or for worse.

>
>>insecurities can either cripple you, or motivate you to do great things.
>
>what the hell kinda great things
>can be accomplished if they're
>driven by insecurities?
>

lots of things, sports athletes, national leaders, etc for example are often times driven by insecurities in themselves to do great things in order for people to refer them as great and to see themselves as a great. there's an intense desire to overcome the insecurity, this is source of motivation..

>==**peace**==
>
>"baby,
>I'd draw yuh bath
>like Picasso..
>
>pick you,
>like fruit
>off yuh family tree. &
>eatcha' honeydew ass,
>wet"
>
>-Giovanni
>
>i believe in education and empowerment
>through art. i believe that
>movements happen when ideas are
>set to music. bodies and
>people come together through dance
>and movement, eyes awaken in
>the face of a good
>movie, and whatever ya gotta
>say is useless unless you
>can use these tools to
>reach right into people
>
>"the skilled binder uses no strings
>or knots, while to unloose
>what he has bound would
>be impossible."
> Lao Tzu
>
>"The logic of divide and rule
>is still valid today."
> Capleton
>
>DomePoem Poets; Vibe Nation; One ppl
>under the spoken word

12045, RE: standards and inadequacy
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 06:20 AM
>this is all i said basically and that these external influences
>on your thoughts will ALWAYS influence you no matter what.
>you can choose to do whatever, but how think will
>always be determined a great deal by external sources, for
>better or for worse.

yes they will always influence you, but putting any more weight on them than is necessary will lead to nothing but stagnation.

my dad always told me when i was growin up "there's always an excuse." it's true. there's an excuse for anything. sometimes more apparent sometimes less apparent. knowing how your own views are influenced by yr surroundings is a part of knowing yourself. but assuming all of the views of your surroundings without questioning anything is pure stupidity. especially in as sick of surroundings as we live in.

>lots of things, sports athletes, national leaders, etc for example are
>often times driven by insecurities in themselves to do great

what do they achieve when their motivation is insecurity? i sure as hell wouldn;t want a national leader who was insecure about his or herself.

athletes who are primarily motivated by insecurities reap a helluva lotta damage on people with a lotta ease, due to their celebrity status.

lil kim is very obviously motivated by her insecurities. she is highly regarded and has high sales. is she doing great things?

>things in order for people
>to refer them as great
>and to see themselves as
>a great. there's an intense
>desire to overcome the insecurity,
>this is source of motivation..

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12046, RE: standards and inadequacy
Posted by guest, Mon Jul-23-01 07:23 AM
>>this is all i said basically and that these external influences
>>on your thoughts will ALWAYS influence you no matter what.
>>you can choose to do whatever, but how think will
>>always be determined a great deal by external sources, for
>>better or for worse.
>
>yes they will always influence you,
>but putting any more weight
>on them than is necessary
>will lead to nothing but
>stagnation.
>
>my dad always told me when
>i was growin up "there's
>always an excuse." it's true.
>there's an excuse for anything.
>sometimes more apparent sometimes less
>apparent. knowing how your own
>views are influenced by yr
>surroundings is a part of
>knowing yourself. but assuming all
>of the views of your
>surroundings without questioning anything is
>pure stupidity.

who said not to question anything?

>
>>lots of things, sports athletes, national leaders, etc for example are
>>often times driven by insecurities in themselves to do great
>
>what do they achieve when their
>motivation is insecurity? i sure
>as hell wouldn;t want a
>national leader who was insecure
>about his or herself.

colonization, imperialism, building massive monuments and empires, defeating/subduing enemies, all "great" things leaders acheive by being motivated by insecurities.

>athletes who are primarily motivated by
>insecurities reap a helluva lotta
>damage on people with a
>lotta ease, due to their
>celebrity status.

yes, but since they are athletes, none of that matters. what matters is their level of athletic acheivement.

>
>lil kim is very obviously motivated
>by her insecurities. she is
>highly regarded and has high
>sales. is she doing great
>things?

maybe not "great" things. but what is she doing that is soo bad?

she is earning a living, doing what she enjoys presumably. i dont know if she's happy or not, but she's better off than she used to be by most accounts including her own.

>
>==**peace**==
>
>"baby,
>I'd draw yuh bath
>like Picasso..
>
>pick you,
>like fruit
>off yuh family tree. &
>eatcha' honeydew ass,
>wet"
>
>-Giovanni
>
>the face of a good
>can use these tools to
>reach right into people
>
>what he has bound would
>be impossible."
> Lao Tzu
>
>is still valid today."
> Capleton
>
>under the spoken word

12047, RE: standards and inadequacy
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 07:40 AM
>>lil kim is very obviously motivated
>>by her insecurities. she is
>>highly regarded and has high
>>sales. is she doing great
>>things?
>
>maybe not "great" things. but what
>is she doing that is
>soo bad?

sharing her standards of value and beauty with our children and helping them to think those standards are normal and acceptable

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12048, RE: standards and inadequacy
Posted by guest, Mon Jul-23-01 08:35 AM
>>>lil kim is very obviously motivated
>>>by her insecurities. she is
>>>highly regarded and has high
>>>sales. is she doing great
>>>things?
>>
>>maybe not "great" things. but what
>>is she doing that is
>>soo bad?
>
>sharing her standards of value and
>beauty with our children and
>helping them to think those
>standards are normal and acceptable

if your children's "standards" of what's normal and acceptable are shaped by pop stars, then they're already fuct up. forget about what they aspire to look like.....

she's allowed to be whoever she wants to be......

>
>==**peace**==
>
>"baby,
>I'd draw yuh bath
>like Picasso..
>
>pick you,
>like fruit
>off yuh family tree. &
>eatcha' honeydew ass,
>wet"
>
>-Giovanni
>
>the face of a good
>can use these tools to
>reach right into people
>
>what he has bound would
>be impossible."
> Lao Tzu
>
>is still valid today."
> Capleton
>
>under the spoken word

12049, i don't have children yet
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 08:41 AM
but look around you

what is influencing kids nowadays?

what is influencing most adults nowadays?

same thing as has been for a long time now; pop culture.

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12050, RE: i don't have children yet
Posted by guest, Mon Jul-23-01 08:48 AM
>but look around you
>
>what is influencing kids nowadays?
>

it doesnt have to.

>what is influencing most adults nowadays?
>
>

again, it doesnt have to.

>same thing as has been for
>a long time now; pop
>culture.
>

pop culture icons do not have a responsibility to you. they do not make you do anything. if you are influenced excessively and to your detriment, that is entirely your fault.

>==**peace**==
>
>"baby,
>I'd draw yuh bath
>like Picasso..
>
>pick you,
>like fruit
>off yuh family tree. &
>eatcha' honeydew ass,
>wet"
>
>-Giovanni
>
>the face of a good
>can use these tools to
>reach right into people
>
>what he has bound would
>be impossible."
> Lao Tzu
>
>is still valid today."
> Capleton
>
>under the spoken word

12051, the point
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 09:05 AM
was motivation

-when you're motivated by a low self esteem, you'll always do more harm than good-

i'm not discussing her responsibility to anyone. that is completely irrelevant to me.

pop culture does, whether we like it or not, have a huge grip on people. we can teach our own kids differently, but the fact remains that the majority of kids are heavily influenced by the crap that the music industry promotes and endorses.

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12052, RE: the point
Posted by guest, Mon Jul-23-01 09:18 AM
>was motivation
>
>-when you're motivated by a low
>self esteem, you'll always do
>more harm than good-
>

i dont buy into that bleeding heart liberal kind of thinking. the greatest motivation in the world is FEAR, which is based in insecurity. people have created nations, communities, etc, all because they fear for their safety and assume that living in groups provides them a greater level of protection. people follow rules because they FEAR if they do wrong, there will be negative consequences, one of which is shame and embarassment. people follow social norms, many of which are rooted in practical/good reasons, because of FEAR of being labelled outcasts and banishment.

Negative motivation discourages poor performance and pushes people to do things, whether they want to or not.

A people that are constantly that are constantly coddled and told that they are the shyt (or tell themselves) accomplish nothing, people must be driven to do things.
12053, where's yr whip, baby?
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 09:22 AM
==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12054, you're very very right.
Posted by alek, Mon Jul-23-01 12:22 PM
>i said it before, and i
>wanna say it again. i
>truly deeply madly believe that
>self consciousness is the root
>of all evil.

Yes. Or at least it's one of them. Evil is a big-ass tree.

(on a side note, it'd be really nice if once I could invite my girlfriend to dinner and have her say, "Okay, let's go" and grab her keys and LEAVE).

Alek
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 12:25 PM
before you invite her to dinner tell her how beautiful she looks exactly the way she is

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12056, I'm no moron...
Posted by alek, Mon Jul-23-01 02:19 PM
...believe me I try that all the time. It's usually the first thing I say when I see her (of course, it's always TRUE so that's not rocket science).

The thing is, she doesn't give a flying fuck on a rolling doughnut how I think she looks. So when I say: "You look so cute right now, there's no need to change" she just says "Fine, if you don't want to go out we'll stay in."

Plus she always flips it around and flatters me: "You ALWAYS look good whatever you wear, but I need to dress up now..."

So then my stupid fool ass says "Well, yeah, I mean I wouldn't want you to be embarrassed or anything..."

then I sit around for an hour while all the good pasta restaurants fill up.

Alek
Posted by guerilla_love, Tue Jul-24-01 03:43 AM
knowing that most women are like what u just described, i was very surprised at the answers people gave to "what is beauty to you?"

but the self consciousness of women is one of the most bone achingly frustrating things out there to me

-even more frustrating when i'm the one trying on a pilea clothes, or demonstratin to my husband how it is that i really do have nuthin to wear, despite all the clothes lyin around-

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12058, also...
Posted by alek, Thu Jul-26-01 10:52 AM
...while it's true that self-consciousness can really keep you from being comfortable with yourself, there're other sides to this.

I mean, when I go out with my girlfriend and she feels good about herself and her appearance, and she's happy to be out with me in that way and very comfortable...there's no substitute for that emotion.
She gets all twinkly.

What am I going to say?

"I deny you that pleasure -- in the name of naturalism, you must leave the house feeling uncomfortable and embarrassed?"

That'd be stupid.

Alek
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jul-26-01 10:57 AM
that natural = uncomfortable and embarrassed

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

12060, well, yeah....
Posted by alek, Fri Jul-27-01 10:09 AM
>that natural = uncomfortable and embarrassed

...but you know I had this discussion with her after someone told us about an Oprah episode (of all things) where they took women and forced them to go about their normal lives with NO MAKEUP for a week.

The women just broke down.

So my first reaction was: Jesus, that's sad. Human beings ought to be able to deal with themselves.

But at the same time, we choose to wear clothing. Would you feel fine living your life completely naked for a week? Driving around, going shopping, seeing friends...

At some level, we choose what we're comfortable with and maintain that. So while I think it's sad that there exist these habits which -- in absence -- would directly impair the normal course of life, doesn't everyone have a self-image problem at some level?

Alek

"I HATE so-called musicians who simply don't care about music.. Like, WTF?! Come take my desk job then..."
- Mr SADIER
12061, the paradox of stitting in ignorance...
Posted by lidawg, Fri Jul-27-01 05:22 PM
moving forward, and changing one's thought process

I think everyone here has made some very valid points. And to put some more substantial backing to my words, I'm gonna give a small bit of a personal experience. My mother for years used to criticize me for wanting to wear what in my opinion were comfy clothes (e.g. jeans, t-shirts, sweats). It was until I got to my undergrad institution that I was able to develop appreciation for me and not live underneath that oppressive rock of someone else's (who is very dear to me mind you) standards. Even now as a grad student, I must make myself remember who am I for me and not someone else. It's hard not to be influenced by external stimuli as Alek has pointed out. But also, as guerilla love pointed out, it's possible to change your outlook on self. You just have to have patience with yourself and your process/progress. I won't lie and act like there aren't times that I'm not self-conscious about myself but I do think I do a good job of putting that *ish* back on the shelf by saying "I love me completely now". yeah, I know..sounds kinda Iyanla Vanzant-like but it works, ya heard? Sorry if I piggy-backed too much.

peace and blessings!

Lidawg

"I know that loving you don't make no sense. I guess that's why I like it."--Res
12062, RE: standards and inadequacy
Posted by cre8or, Fri Jul-27-01 11:13 AM
In this society, we push way too much superficial beauty, period. Self consciousness to these feigned believers would be making sure their physical well-being is right and don't look spiritually to see what is going on. Self Consciousness truly is getting rid of your thoughts and opinions and following the one who is greater than self. People walk around like they were here first and self consciuosness in their minds is pretty much selfish. Let's go deeper than healthy eating (like rice and tofu) but more like what am I chewing on mentally and spiritually? That's beyond self like you have stated. Look past yourself. That's the hardest thing for anyone to do. Don't complain about what you don't have but be thankful for what's been provided. Being a human being automatically gives us room to grow because we were born with defects and faults. We are going to continue to make them throughout life. But should embrace them, address them and move one,for real. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

me he had, had me he, he had me tongue tied-Jill

Ya got ya PHD, magna cum laude but ya nigga love me wit a GED-Badu

My soul wants to go one way but my heart and mind's playin a tug of war with me. . .-Nikka

Cresha tha cre8or has left the premises.
12063, where have u been all my life?
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Jul-27-01 11:19 AM
thank u

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni