Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI'm glad you feel its not enough
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=11848&mesg_id=11909
11909, I'm glad you feel its not enough
Posted by guest, Fri May-19-00 05:05 PM
because, as you can see, many of us feel the same way. Using an simile from a previous post, you hurt because they are not experiencing the same epiphany of truth you are, just as you feel the pain when your stomach is going through some tumult because of something you ate. They are a part of you, and you of them. Race theory is as indigestible by the human psyche as plastic is to your stomach. Everyone is held back by its unnaturalness, and we've got to set the record straight.

As I've said in the past, if you think it is your job to bring the truth to people, do so. You will have failures, setbacks, and triumphs, just like with anything else, but you MUST realize that this endeavor has a cumulative effect. Even if, throughout the span of your lifetime, you manage to connect with one person, that is a great thing (although I've made in-roads with a couple folks during the limited time that I've had this knowledge, and there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to do the same). That person who makes the decision to change their life in this manner could end up being someone who will touch many people's lives. Thus, what was only one, could turn out to be many, but the truth probably won't be known and practiced by most people in our lifetime.

Look how long it took for blacks to be recognized as just humans worthy of fair treatment (not that this is played out in everyday life much). Like many things (if not all) there will be an ebb and flow to the desemination and acceptance of this particular truth. Fifty years from now, there might be a great leader like Malcolm or Martin who causes many things to happen at once, and then the afterglow will occur and all of the accomplishments of this period will seem as if they had been forgotten (but they haven't). Its just the natural way of the universe ("Cy-cles, cy-cles, life goes in cycles"--Chuck D).

At all costs, you must let the person you're speaking to decide the path, or you will have accomplished nothing. Browbeating will not suffice. State the facts. State them with passion but not rancor, let peace and love not anger be your motivating factor (for that is the ultimate goal of this, no?). Anyway, sorry if I was talking about ish you already realized. I tend to get carried away at times.

"It ain't where you from, its where you at"--RAKIM
"I am everyday people"--SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE