Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectThe white girl
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=11848&mesg_id=11850
11850, The white girl
Posted by guest, Tue May-16-00 05:18 AM
In my estimation this "White" girl was a willing but unaware subject to the homogeny of White America as are many White people. As such her own culture was that of a novelty- something only to be observed on holidays or among more traditional family members.

Following the trends of White America its easy to hold such thoughts and terms as "nigger" in the back of her mind cuz in her estimation it only comments on an objective characterization of who Black people are prescribed to be racially. This White girl has been aware ever sine she learned racial classification that the premise behind racial stratification is that Blacks are somehow inferior to Whites- they may be capable of achieving the same things if thy try hard, and its not nice to speak badly to or about them but nonetheless they are a people who are innately less capable than others.

now

we could be mad at her for making such presumptions but I think we know that this type of though is pervasive in our culture. I ask- why?

Its pervasiv because the ideology and social structure that encourages those thoughts stares us dead in the face and we refuse to look at it and call it by its name. The premise behindracial classification is implicitly demeaning of Blacks and other cultures. it is the same race philosphy that previously made such determinations as Caucasian, Mogoloid, Orintal, and Negroid classifications- but somehow the classifications of Whites still persists.

This classification shares the same racist etymology as Nigger- no wonder it falls off a white girl's lips so easily. And when she sys it- she cant understand what exactly she did wrong. the thing is she doesnt see it as a signifier of another person's culture- cuz her own signifier (White) does not bear that meaning for her.

As i told her - the solution is not to change your thoughts- it is to change your thinking.

K