Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectDREAMS
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=11794
11794, DREAMS
Posted by chyne, Mon Sep-17-01 06:01 AM
Can you interprete your dreams or do you know who can?

I think that dreams are a way of telling us something.

What are your thoughts?
11795, dreams are stuff that...
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 06:11 AM
...you see happen inthe day and manifest themselves in your brain activity when you sleep. simple as that.

cats that say they can interpret dreams are doing so with the advantage of saying something about a realm that nobody can prove or validate anything about, and thus are untouchable to any real scrutiny. much like the mulitple universe theory...there COULD be multiple galaxies out there, galaxies that we cannot observe, but that is no reason to believe in the theory.

dream interpretation is just another thing for those metaphysical hippies to get into. matter of fact, one time i told this dream interpreter that i had a dream about me taking this black spray painted louiseville slugger and beating this large white piece of marble shaped like a gun... she told me i had this anger and rage towards white people and their attacks on blacks, and that i wanted to destroy them! now what kind of shit is that?!?

poppycock if you ask me. :) *goddamn, i'm funny*

(((((PEACE)))))
11796, dreams aren't only refuse
Posted by dispatriot, Mon Sep-17-01 07:56 AM
your body spits out at the end of the day.

I say this because I have had dreams that have been precognitive in a very specific sense.. and others that I "interpreted" to be precognitive in a much more general sense.

Specific: I went to Berkeley campus two weeks ago, where I'm thinking of trying to attend. I went into the bookstore and froze. Deja vu-- I had dreamt the entire scene a year ago. The bookstore looked exactly the way it did in my dream (I've never seen a bookstore like this before) and in my dream at the end of the hall behind the bookstore there was a theater. I walked out in real life behind the bookstore, across a small walkway was an auditorium/theater.

General: I had a dream that I interpreted to mean "teacher" of sorts was going to enter my life.. the dream was that my bones were stolen from me and a blue being came and gave me a poultice to put in my eyes so I could see in the dark and steal my bones back. A month later, the biggest spiritual teacher I've ever had entered my life...

dispatriot//
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Loyalty to the country always, and loyalty to the government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain
lil'ole.me
http://www.prototype26.com

west coast activists, step up!!
http://www.okwest.org
11797, there's probably some kind of medicine you can take for this kind of sickness...
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 08:36 AM
:) j/k

no but for real...get some professional help.

(((((PEACE)))))
11798, professional help?
Posted by dispatriot, Mon Sep-17-01 08:46 AM
for precognitive dreams? :)

..dialing miss cleo... ;)

dispatriot//
"Loyalty to the country always, and loyalty to the government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain
lil'ole.me

11799, perhaps you saw...
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 08:50 AM
all those visuals before, forgot about them, processed the images in a dream and in knowing you would go to this bookstore...recalled those images, as well as the dream...

...about the blue being dream...stop smoking that crack rock!

(((((PEACE)))))
11800, So an extreme coincidence?
Posted by dispatriot, Mon Sep-17-01 09:17 AM
The dream exactly:
I am visiting a college campus, and go into the store section of the campus, which is set up like an indoor mall-- walkways with glass windows in front of each of the shops. (I've never seen this before nor been to a university campus bookstore on any campus.) I find a bookstore that sells only linux books, and think that's cute and that I will tell my programming friends about it. I walk to the end of the hall where there are small children waiting to perform a play in the theater.

The event:
I walk into the UC Berkeley bookstore, a year later, never having been before. The place looks like a little indoor mall, with glass panes in front of the bookstore, inside. The bookstore has a large section (1/4 of the store wall) with linux books, and programming books. More than I've ever seen elsewhere. I walk outside the back door and there is an auditorium across the way-- not set up exactly the same way as my dream, but it is there.

..another instance.
I had a dream I was walking around the city at night with a shy man I'd never met before, and we just talked about our lives in a very laid back fashion. He was a bit taller than me, kind of stocky, black, little hair, very shy in his demeanor, harmless-- although in the dream I was initially threatened by him because he approached me so abruptly.

next day..
a man approaches me, abruptly, trying to hit on me. He starts walking in step with me, not stopping, not looking at me, asking me my age, my name, where I'm going. It takes me a minute to process-- lots of people hit on me when i go out for lunch at work, but people are usually a lot more "normal" about it. So I'm thinking he's a freak.. stalker-boy.. and then I think, oh, he's just shy.. I realize this is the same guy from my dream-- he is the same build/appearance exactly, very shy, looking for company. We end up walking around the city and talking for the next hour, like we've known eachother, all comfortable like.

.. and if you think the "blue being" dream is a trip.. damn, you haven't heard nothing. My dreams are insane. :) (And I don't do drugs. :) I'm naturally this way. ;)

dispatriot//
lil'ole.me

11801, no such thing as coincidence...
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:22 AM
just a term humans give to not being able to explain events that are similar...notice i didn;t say "extrememly similar" but similar...because the degree to which these events happens is what lends a following to terms like coincidence...

if we we to examine our days like in a movie, we'd see a lot of coincidences...but when we observe some that have a high number of similar eevents we become intrigued initially and then search the memory for similar ideas that fit the event just witnessed...

add to that the fact that people DO NOT like IGNORANCE, or NOT KNOWING something and wanting to be able to explain it somehow....and you come up with "extreme coincidence".

(((((PEACE)))))
11802, RE: no such thing as coincidence...
Posted by dispatriot, Mon Sep-17-01 09:46 AM
A question: If I were to dream I met a woman named Veronica in DC who was Muslim, and worked at a bookstore, and then the exact events transpired the next day, i.e. I went to a bookstore in Ohio, met a Muslim woman named Veronica.. what would you think of that?

I believe there is no such thing as coincidence also.. but for vastly different reasons. :)

coincidence \Co*in"ci*dence\, n. ncidence.] 1. The condition of occupying the same place in space; as, the coincidence of circles, surfaces, etc.

2. The condition or fact of happening at the same time; as, the coincidence of the deaths of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.

3. Exact correspondence in nature, character, result, circumstances, etc.; concurrence; agreement.

coincidence n 1: an event that might have been arranged although it was really accidental 2: the quality of occupying the same position or area in space 3: the temporal property of two things happening at the same time

dispatriot//
lil'ole.me

11803, i'd think you should play the lottery more often...
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:52 AM
because if you believe in that happening...you should find hope in the probability of the lottery....

a muslim in Ohio?!?! wtf? named Veronica?!? come on :)

for real: i wouldn't think anything...instead of attaching a "value" why not just accept it as "IT IS".

(((((PEACE)))))
11804, RE: i'd think you should play the lottery more often...
Posted by dispatriot, Mon Sep-17-01 10:34 AM
laugh.. I was grabbing random values off the top of my head. you're right, that circumstance would never happen. ;)

but you get what I mean. ;)

and i don't play the lottery. but I have an unhealthy addiction to psychics. ;)

dispatriot//
lil'ole.me

11805, RE: i'd think you should play the lottery more often...
Posted by Zarathuckya, Mon Sep-17-01 04:05 PM
You're gross!

Thus spake ŽåRåTHû©kYâ
11806, gross?
Posted by dispatriot, Tue Sep-18-01 05:09 AM
for which reason? :)

dispatriot//
lil'ole.me

11807, RE: So an extreme coincidence?
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 04:54 PM
Tell me more. Please
11808, more dreams...?
Posted by dispatriot, Tue Sep-18-01 05:13 AM
Hmm. I could recommend some good books?

Mine I'd have to dig up outta my journals.. they are all effed up in their respective ways. Some are really cool, and seem to have a lot of meaning, and some are just.. disturbing.

Like, night before last I dreamt I had set up camp with a group in the desert, and some carnivorous deer attacked our camp. I looked outside my tent and saw "bambi" looking up at me with it's cute little doe eyes, blood dripping from it's mouth over a bloody carcass.

wtf.

dispatriot//
lil'ole.me

11809, Yep,
Posted by knumskul, Tue Sep-18-01 06:07 AM
You da devil, j/k
:D:D:D:D
11810, Retraction...
Posted by knumskul, Tue Sep-18-01 06:12 AM
You're the debil's _spawn_.lol Seriously tho, you on some weird ish. If I'd had a dream like that i'd be checkin' myself into "Shady Acres" w/ a quickness. But you? Naw, you nonchalant about it. *eyebrow raised.
That ish aint normal. you know this, right?
11811, RE: Retraction...
Posted by dispatriot, Tue Sep-18-01 06:36 AM
laugh.. girl, you know I've told you weirder ish that's happened to me that this... :) If I ain't right, whatever went wrong happened a looooong time ago.

*The deer were trying to _eat_ me!!!* evil deer. :)

dispatriot//
lil'ole.me

11812, RE: dreams are stuff that...
Posted by standard deviant, Mon Sep-17-01 09:03 AM
there was a study done last year on insomniacs...here is the basic layout:

The experimental group is the insomniacs (actually, it was people that do not dream, but I don't know the term for them, so from now on I'll call them insomniacs), the control is "normal" sleepers.

They have people play tetris a certain number of hours a day. Take some time off (for the control, to sleep). And then come back. The control group dreamed about tetris (you know you've done it before), and consistently got better at the game. The insomniacs did not dream of tetris and DID NOT IMPROVE AT ALL, NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY PLAYED.

So the researchers conclude that on some level, dreams must be where your brain actually takes the day's activities and blazes the pathways for your memory.

The site I saw it on is currently down...but as soon as it is up again, I'll post the link.

"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech"--Being John Malkovich

"Killing fields need blood to graze the cash cow..."--Mos Def

"No matter how insane and dispicable you act, I can one up you, because I work for the government."--Million Dollar Hotel

"I'm not racist--I LOVE Hip-Hop."--DarkStar

"Ohhhh, I'll never be a Globetrotter. My life--and by extension everyone else's--is meaningless."--Bender
11813, maybe this has to do with the fact that they didn't sleep
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:09 AM
not so much that they didn't dream...

(((((PEACE)))))
11814, RE: maybe this has to do with the fact that they didn't sleep
Posted by standard deviant, Mon Sep-17-01 09:12 AM
you are right...

I forget the actual groups (pissed the sight isn't up right now)...but they break it down like this:

no sleep: nothing learned
no dream: some learned
dream: much learned

"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech"--Being John Malkovich

"No matter how insane and dispicable you act, I can one up you, because I work for the government."--Million Dollar Hotel

"Ohhhh, I'll never be a Globetrotter. My life--and by extension everyone else's--is meaningless."--Bender
11815, gross assumptions...
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:15 AM

"Don't start shit with me. And don't think personalizing it would change how I feel. Feeling is always made richer though knowledge. Knowledge ensures that the truest depth of feeling is reached. And buddy, don't assume you know mine." -Cued

"why does it have to be about "them". why can't it be about our own. so are you suggesting that the HBCUs out there as a curriculum that is geared to that of propogating European culture and power? c'mon now." -JustLisa

(((((PEACE)))))
11816, how do they know
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Sep-17-01 09:12 AM
they didn't dream?

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

"The logic of divide and rule is still valid today." Capleton

"if i'm smart enough to sneak around and learn to fly a plane to get me and all my friends enough false i.d. to board us airplanes to get me and all my friends through metal detectors and past security guards while hiding weapons to make an entire plane load of people afraid of my boxcutter i doubt i would be stupid enough to leave all the evidence behind in a rental car
unless i wanted you to think i was something that i'm not" (c) 2ndsurvivor

DomePoem Poets; Vibe Nation; One ppl under the spoken word

useful links:
news: http://www.blackelectorate.com/links.asp
veg: http://www.vrg.org
11817, RE: how do they know
Posted by standard deviant, Mon Sep-17-01 09:15 AM
based on the people's reports...which, of course, isn't the most solid ground to stand on...

but, to keep it in context, we ARE talking about something as scientific as interpreting dreams. :)

11818, sometimes i can barely even REMEBER my dream
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:17 AM
5 minutes into my commute to work! let alone remember if i dreamed anything at all...there seem to be too many flaws in the experiment.

(((((PEACE)))))
11819, RE: sometimes i can barely even REMEBER my dream
Posted by standard deviant, Mon Sep-17-01 10:18 AM
remembering WHAT you dreamed and remembering IF you dreamed are two different things...one is far more difficult than the other.

And you are absolutely correct...it is a fundamentally flawed study...

but I'll again set the context: we ARE talking about things as scientific as interpreting dreams....

11820, EEG? REM sleep?
Posted by Gyrofrog, Tue Sep-18-01 05:45 AM
I thought this could be measured, e.g. with an EEG, or by measuring the sleeper's rapid eye movement (REM). "REM sleep" is generally when we have dreams. I wonder if these people who don't dream just don't REMEMBER their dreams, or actually don't have REM sleep? I thought that you HAD to have the latter, or else your brain would become exhausted and you could die from it. More likely, is that before this happened you would just collapse from exhaustion and THEN get some REM sleep for sure.

--Joe C
"Gyrofrog"
Have sax, will woodshed
-----
http://www.gyrofrog.com
11821, RE: dreams are stuff that...
Posted by sdhiphop, Mon Sep-17-01 09:37 AM
i couldnt tell you the last time i had a dream..i dont ever remember any of my dreams..and if i think i had a dream(which happens sometimes), and try and remember it(or tell someone)..i always seem to forget what it was..i just know that i dreamt about something..
i also didnt used to sleep well..(still dont for the most part)..but lately ive changed my eating habits..(taken out the unnecessary foods in my diet)..and i seem to be sleeping alot better..but still..no dreams!..i wonder why that is..maybe its a good thing..

peace
sdhiphop

"imma dreadhead rappin//along with the song on dead prez track ten//perfecto!, the tightest herbivore you never heard before.."-perfecto 'dreaded funk'

========================================

“That don’t mean shit. That’s a system that those who own us use. They make us famous and give us names, ‘the king of this’, ‘the count of that’, ‘the duke of what?’ We die broke anyhow..”-Charles Mingus on music.

11822, oh you're one of those...
Posted by LexM, Mon Sep-17-01 09:33 AM
:)

"if i'm smart enough
to sneak around and learn to fly a plane
to get me and all my friends enough false i.d. to board us airplanes
to get me and all my friends through metal detectors and past security guards while hiding weapons
to make an entire plane load of people afraid of my boxcutter
i doubt i would be stupid enough
to leave all the evidence behind in a rental car
unless
i wanted you to think i was something that i'm not" (c) okp 2ndsurvivor

11823, do better, try harder!
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:35 AM

"Don't start shit with me. And don't think personalizing it would change how I feel. Feeling is always made richer though knowledge. Knowledge ensures that the truest depth of feeling is reached. And buddy, don't assume you know mine." -Cued

"why does it have to be about "them". why can't it be about our own. so are you suggesting that the HBCUs out there as a curriculum that is geared to that of propogating European culture and power? c'mon now." -JustLisa

(((((PEACE)))))
11824, yadda yadda yadda
Posted by LexM, Mon Sep-17-01 09:36 AM

11825, RE: dreams are stuff that...
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 04:49 PM
Yeah right. Thats you fool.

Dreams have hidden meanings, how can you disregard them cos you know nothing about them. We could say the same for every mystical thing in this world.

Peace
11826, where's hal?
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Sep-17-01 09:01 AM
==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

"if i'm smart enough to sneak around and learn to fly a plane to get me and all my friends enough false i.d. to board us airplanes to get me and all my friends through metal detectors and past security guards while hiding weapons to make an entire plane load of people afraid of my boxcutter i doubt i would be stupid enough to leave all the evidence behind in a rental car

useful links:
11827, don't invoke demons
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:02 AM
it's not cool...

(((((PEACE)))))
11828, no "demon" to "invoke"
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Sep-17-01 09:06 AM
hal's in JA baby

it was a rhetorical question

cuz she wd *LOVE* her summa this post

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11829, Precognition
Posted by DuoMaxwell, Mon Sep-17-01 09:19 AM
I've had SEVERAL precognitive dreams. It's the strangest thing because when Deja Vu hits it's like the world stops for a second and you realise that you've seen this before. It's scary sometimes because when I have a nightmare I'm hoping that that shit doesn't happen for real. I had one where I was on a plane and people started screaming, then flames started coming from the from the front of the plane towards me. I thought I heard my pops yelling like he was on the plane too. I woke up right when the flames hit me. That shit bugged me out because it seemed so real. I ain't flying for a minute.

I am an early bird but the feathers are black so the apples I catch are usually all worms-Posdonus

I tried to learn the game and the only thing I found incredible, everything I tried to learn see I already knew-Nas

But what's the purpose, only the gods could watch the earth twist, I'm physically trapped down on the surface-Nas

11830, not mine
Posted by the2ndsurvivor, Mon Sep-17-01 09:27 AM
i dreamed once that two people i'd never seen b4 were getting married on a giant monopoly board...what the h-e-double hockey sticks does that mean??

...if I were a superhero, I'd be Had-It-Up-to-Here Woman, sneaking around grocery stores, malls, and amusement parks all over the world. With lightning speed, I'd snatch up bad azz kids and give them three swift licks with my golden switch and vanish into thin air before anyone knew what happened...
11831, according to utamaroho: the "dream analyzer"
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:32 AM
it means two businesses, one that you work for, are going to merge...

the two people you don't know represent the top execs that made this deal possible...

the interesting question is: "what did you get them as a wedding gift?" -because this will decide your future in the company...:)

(((((PEACE)))))
11832, i was riding a bike
Posted by the2ndsurvivor, Mon Sep-17-01 09:53 AM
maybe that was my gift

o wise 1, what does it all mean??

...if I were a superhero, I'd be Had-It-Up-to-Here Woman, sneaking around grocery stores, malls, and amusement parks all over the world. With lightning speed, I'd snatch up bad azz kids and give them three swift licks with my golden switch and vanish into thin air before anyone knew what happened...
11833, this means you are "moving" along
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:57 AM
and are upwardly bound in your carreer...

(((((PEACE)))))
11834, people always ask me
Posted by LexM, Mon Sep-17-01 09:30 AM
what their dreams mean...I don't know why...

maybe 'cause I was a psych major? (but i hated Freud...)

I think sometimes they mean something & hold messages. other times they're just nonsense.

"if i'm smart enough
to get me and all my friends through metal detectors and past security guards while hiding weapons
unless

11835, RE: DREAMS
Posted by kemetian, Mon Sep-17-01 09:33 AM
HTP
Read a book called _Creative Dreaming_, it talks abut dream control , how to plan your dreams so u canget the answer to questions u might have in your life or solutions to problems. most ppl suggest u keep a dream diary and look for patterns. they say by playing an active part in your dreams, like for e.g. conquering fearful situations, it will carry over into your awake state. i haven't gone to the extent described by the author but i took some stuff out of it.

e.g. i often dream of falling from a high point and in these i am very afraid of falling so i wake myself up b4 i hit. in the creative dreaming book the author suggests when u have such dreams (falling is popular) u should fly instead of falling. well i was falling in a dream some time after i read the book and i remembered (while dreaming) that i should fly, and i did - it was fun! then i wondered what would happen if i fell and i did. it didn't hurt, but there have been times when i've felt extreme pain during a dream and could feel it in the morning.

There's a book called _African Spirituality, on becoming an ancestor_ that touches about the importance of dreams in some african societies.
Shemhotep
Our limitations are a temporary point
in our growth, as opposed to a finite
and essential quality of our spirit.
-Ra Un Nefer Amen (paraphrased)
11836, alllllllll righty then....
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:36 AM
koo-koo...koo-koo

*turning index finger around temple in circles*

(((((PEACE)))))
11837, so every dream you've had
Posted by LexM, Mon Sep-17-01 09:41 AM
you can rationalize?

never had one come true & couldn't explain it?

or do you not remember your dreams at all/rarely (which means you should shhhhhhhhhh!)?

like i said, a lot of dreams really don't mean much...but that doesn't mean all of them are useless brain wave activity

"if i'm smart enough
unless

11838, dreams come true?!?!
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:49 AM
ok now, can we step back into reality?!?

that's the whole point of my initial post...if you cannot explain something, that doesn;t mean that an answer that "sounds" right is any more valid...

just like i cannot prove a "rational" explanation, just like one cannot prove that "dreams come true". the thing is, the rational explanation is willing to admit it's faultiness. cats stuck in the "dream world" put themselves at risk in believing their dreams mean something or predict things, that they cannot validate even to themselves. if anything they are just observing similarities...some of which are SO SIMILAR that they amaze the observer who feels a need to explain it. even if that explanation veers off into wackyland.

(((((PEACE)))))
11839, *shrug*
Posted by LexM, Mon Sep-17-01 09:54 AM
so be it...

:)
11840, got yang?
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:57 AM

(((((PEACE)))))
11841, laugh..
Posted by dispatriot, Mon Sep-17-01 10:35 AM
this from Mr. Yang...

damn Aries. ;)

dispatriot//
lil'ole.me

11842, You don't
Posted by dispatriot, Mon Sep-17-01 09:50 AM
lucid dream? Never realize you are dreaming in the midst of a dream?

I have a handful of times.. every time I realize I'm dreaming I decide I should have rampant sex.. analyze _that_.

winks and giggles

dispatriot//
lil'ole.me

11843, when i'm dreaming i make a point to defy all natural laws...
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-17-01 09:54 AM
like the last dream i had was one where i was chasing a thief and instead of wading through the crowd, i floated above everyone and got this ladie's purse back...

(((((PEACE)))))
11844, sounds like fun..
Posted by dispatriot, Mon Sep-17-01 10:36 AM
so you do lucid dream.. what is your explanation for that?

dispatriot//
lil'ole.me

11845, RE: when i'm dreaming i make a point to defy all natural laws...
Posted by kemetian, Mon Sep-17-01 11:08 AM
HTP
u do the same thing, so how am i cuckoo?
Shemhotep
Our limitations are a temporary point
in our growth, as opposed to a finite
and essential quality of our spirit.
-Ra Un Nefer Amen (paraphrased)
11846, do you ever dream that you are
Posted by dispatriot, Tue Sep-18-01 07:21 AM
someone else?

Do you _often_ dream that you are someone else?

I am curious because I rarely dream from the perspective of myself.. and wondered if it was common or uncommon. My husband thinks I'm loopy, that I must have the beginnings of some split personality disorder. ;)

dispatriot//
lil'ole.me

11847, i had a series of dreams
Posted by LexM, Tue Sep-18-01 08:02 AM
in one i was basically a whore

in another i chain smoked (i don't smoke cigarettes at all) & was really brash and had a i-don't-give-a-fuck type attitude

and in the last series i was pregnant.

each had its own storyline...it was like 3 separate soaps starring me lol

"if i'm smart enough
unless