Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectLaila Afrika & pleasure.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=11689
11689, Laila Afrika & pleasure.
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 05:42 AM
Hey Uta (or any of you other Anti-everythingers),

Post up one (or 2) things from this magical bible on all things Afrikan that has something to do w/pleasure.

Like, is there anything an Afrikan can do to enjoy him/herself? All you ever give from that wonderful, knowledgable book of life are stern lessons on discipline and sacrifice and blah blah blah. (To me that's GROSS) I wanna know, what are the rewards of being so disciplined? At least Christians promote the afterlife thing to keep ppl going. What does Laila offer? I mean, other than the thrill of going around shouting at everyone about how "gross" they are and how much more disciplined Afrikans are and all that. Like, can I have some Afrikan pudding? An Afrikan cookie? An Afrikan Now-and-Later?Is there any sunshine for an Afrikan? Is there any joy in there?

It might help your little cause or whatever seem a little more objective. As it stands now you've presented nothing but condemnation of one way of living, as opposed to promoting another.

11690, you're high dude, but ill indulge
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 05:50 AM
damn, gimme a number, i'll call you... :)

the whole point of preventative health practices is to avoid the "BAD" things, the negative effets of the epicurian lifestyle. It only seems like "discipline and sacrifice" to the European, only ecause this is not his way of life, nor should it be. lemme say that again:

It only seems like "discipline and sacrifice" to the European, only ecause this is not his way of life

So if any of this "natural" stuff seems backwards...the that is a good barometer to show where "YOUR" head is at. he stuff in these books surprised me when i read it for the first time. It only makes sense when you start living it.

BENEFITS: Not getting a cold in winter is a pleasure. Fasting to gain patience and mastery over hunger is a pleasure. Being able to offer suggestions to my coworkers for problems they have that i've incorporated and seen work ini me...then have them come back and tell me they're cured is a pleasure.

>>Like, can I have some Afrikan pudding? An Afrikan cookie? An Afrikan Now-and-Later?

"Bitch, you almost made me laugh" c/o Hooper LaMont, "Chasing Amy

11691, Just what I thought.
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 06:33 AM
So there's no pleasure in it other than the "I Told You So/I'm Better Than You" factor.

Thanks.
11692, one day son...one day...
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 06:37 AM

(((((PEACE)))))

11693, And I was lying
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 06:44 AM
I'm not stoned at all. I don't get high at work.
11694, scenario:
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 06:56 AM
a meat eating friend comes up to me at night wakign me up...

Friend: "Sherman my stomach hurts and feels like a knife is poking me on the inside, help! what can i do?"

Sherman: "shut the fuck up and die! that's what, it's 3 in the morning dude, i'm sleep!" *turns over and can't go back to sleep*

"Here dude, take some of my ginger root juice."

NEXT DAY:

Sherman: "Say Duwayne, you know, eating Krystals this late at night is probably why you keep getting sick at bedtime and have put on so much weight you FAT FUCK!"

Friend: "whatever dude, you're supposed to eat high protein after a workout, you need to feed the muscles."

-At this point, i am directly confronted with a western ideology. it has nothing to do with "being better than another" but from what i know about the "information" of health and nutrition as it relates to the human system, my friend is worng. and no matter how i present it, he will feel under attack. if in my explanation, i offer an "afrikan centered PREVENTATIVE cure" (as i did hen i said "this might be why you are sick...") that will only further his BINARY THINKGING, pitting afrikan procedure against his beliefs...

i'm not trying to appear better, but best believe others see it that way...I WONDER WHY? hmmmmm...

(((((PEACE)))))

11695, you know uta
Posted by HalleluYAH, Fri Sep-21-01 07:01 AM
it's not what you say that can make people think you're acting like you're better, honestly I can't see hwy people think that either about you...not being funny...

you're rude sometimes though and If you want people to really listen to you and do better, then you wouldn't be an asshole about it...

but you can be sometimes in moderation...

this finally as has been sadi by guerilla is the internet...

who cares what we think...but if it's happening in your everyday life, that may be a sign of something else...if it's not then why sweat it, why even mention it here...
11696, Here's why.
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 07:03 AM
>i'm not trying to appear better,
>but best believe others see
>it that way...I WONDER WHY?
>hmmmmm...

Your statement was great. No haughty tone to it. Till the "I WONDER WHY? hmmmmm..." <--that's the part that screams "I think I'm better."

If you ask me, I don't think you're better. I think you think you're better than, like, everyone. And that's truly gross.
11697, ok...
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 07:18 AM
<--that's the part that screams "I think I'm better."

no, in my mind i'm thinking(much like solarus about you): is that cats know THEY are gross and are doing anything to delude hemselves or "get through" the night...

don't think i wasn't there before, i was *hanging head* and this is ho i can recognize it in others...

about me thinking i'm better than others(and this is really gonna cook your noodle):

i don't, i actually see myself when i look at others...and thus react to others the same way i would do myself. like the water analogy; "there are many drops in the ocean, but they are indistinguishabl from one another while in the ocean. they only have identity when separate from their brothers/sisters."

in my effort to merge and "be one" with all. my identity must be able to see itself as the same as every other living being. this also goes along with the whole "loving everyone indiscriminately" thing...

so i don't ever see myself better than anyone else...only because its hard to see peoples "dfferent levels of development" as any different than where i was at, at sometime...or where i want to be in the future...i would be a fool not to see my own characteristics in others and to deny it. you can ask solarus about my gross days, there were a lot of them. i'm just sharing how i transcended them. if others take them and use them, cool. i just know some of what i say WILL be attacked, hell I DID IT TOO! the thing is, the people trying to school me, or present their side of the matter never backed down because they themselves knew where i was coming from (they'd been there too) and KNEW eventually i would understand what they were saying. it turns out they were right, and thus i pass on the same information relentlessly to those ears ready to hear, and those hearts ready to ACT.

peace

(((((PEACE)))))

11698, Huh.
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 07:28 AM
><--that's the part that screams "I
>think I'm better."
>
>no, in my mind i'm thinking(much
>like solarus about you): is
>that cats know THEY are
>gross and are doing anything
>to delude hemselves or "get
>through" the night...

You just proved my point.

"Cats know THEY are gross and are doing anything to delude themselves"...that's the same as saying "I think I'm better". Actually, it's worse. B/c you not only believe you're above the rest of us, you believe we believe it too.

Wow.

11699, well...when cats come up apologizing for behavior...
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 07:38 AM
and their gross actions all the time...and always saying shit like: "i finally understand what you are tlaking about..." what am i supposed to think. it happens like once every other day. i don't take any credit for anything, my thing is hoping people just do better for themselves, but it DOES show that even though people resist at first they eventually realize the truth and stop trying to fight it all the time...it surprises te hell outta me, having people who've asked me for advice/help years ago and leave...to only come back and say, "Damn, i wish i'd listened way back when..."

thing is: I "ASK" people; "so why did you have such a hard time accepting or swallowing what i was telling you?" they respond by simply saying, "until you actually do it, it's seemingly natural (especially in this culture) to put up defense mechanisms from jump street."

this is how i KNOW what cats are doing, there are classic signs of "delusion" "avoidance" "GROSSNESS" that one can look out for.

plus, i know how "I" was, and can remeber the things "I" would have said.

*of course i realize this is universalizing a small group's responses, but hey, whatta ya gonna do? if it sounds like a duck, looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

(((((PEACE)))))

11700, look utma
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 07:42 AM
i've learned a lot from u

but i think summa the time it's, as HotThyng said, *despite* yr tactics and attitude

i suspect what yr experiencing is more of a wrestling with yr tactics than it is a disagreement with yr content

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

"The logic of divide and rule is still valid today." Capleton

"if i'm smart enough to sneak around and learn to fly a plane to get me and all my friends enough false i.d. to board us airplanes to get me and all my friends through metal detectors and past security guards while hiding weapons to make an entire plane load of people afraid of my boxcutter i doubt i would be stupid enough to leave all the evidence behind in a rental car
unless i wanted you to think i was something that i'm not" (c) 2ndsurvivor

DomePoem Poets; Vibe Nation; One ppl under the spoken word

useful links:
news: http://www.blackelectorate.com/links.asp
veg: http://www.vrg.org
11701, eg posts #15 & 20
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 07:43 AM
==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

"if i'm smart enough to sneak around and learn to fly a plane to get me and all my friends enough false i.d. to board us airplanes to get me and all my friends through metal detectors and past security guards while hiding weapons to make an entire plane load of people afraid of my boxcutter i doubt i would be stupid enough to leave all the evidence behind in a rental car

useful links:
11702, Shhh...
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 07:43 AM
Stop giving him all the answers.
11703, fuck my tactics: that's the best advice i can give
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 07:48 AM
try to imagine a computer generating these repsonses and not a real person...

as far as cats calling me rude: fuck it! that word has no place in my reality...partly because i see damn near nothing as rude, so yall will have to school me on that one. matter of fact, i have never thought anything on these boards is "rude"...sometimes stupid, but not rude...that would imply intentional desire to hurt someone, and this is the internet people!

and as far as all the profanity i use: it is simply used because it's funny to me...that's it! period. if cats get offended by four letter words...oh well...die! i don't give a fuck.

(((((PEACE)))))

11704, again, DO BETTER
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 07:51 AM
if u say u give yr life an life purpose to a cause but end up hampering as much as helping yrself, do u really have anything to gain by making excuses to perpetuate yr current ways?

fk excuses

look deeper an harder at yrself

DO BETTER

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11705, no i don't...
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 07:56 AM
thanks for asking though...

right now i'm at the crossroads of wondering whether or not i should hamper myself by helping people who are not after the same goals as myself (african americans) or focusing on the people who are (afrikans) and seem to respond better to me...

this is why i lilke going to martial arts class (and as urbgriot will tell you, there is no such thing as an excuse there) and to areas and centers of afrikan peopl in the city...because i can be more effective there. but theni do have to come to work in the morning... and this is where i try to be effective with people i know may not be on the same path, but might be interested...

all in all, i'm far more effective than not.

(((((PEACE)))))

11706, i suspect
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 08:10 AM
u'll respond more tactfully to ppl who are more fully on yr wavelength

but yr responses tend to be innapropriate to those who aren't wholly on yr wavelength. if u can't draw the line on what is and is not innappropriate than maybe u do need to work on limiting yr surroundings

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11707, probably...
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 08:22 AM
the thing is...i realized one day that cats don;t know everything...so i tried to find a common language..."simplicity". this works often on the "information" side (and this is what i talk aboutmost of the time) but then cats wanna always retreat in the "personal" areas, a place where they think they are immune. you see this happening when a discussion about history ends up in "you believe what you believe, and i'lll believe what i believe." fuck that, both people started with the same language but one was better at speaking it. thus, the second person flees to the "safe zone". "YOU" know what i mean by that, we see it all the time...if cats would just admit shit, then it'd be over with a lot sooner...but alas...

being that most of the opinion stuff is built upon "information" or "distorted information" i decide to stay in that eralm most of the time. the personal attacks (what i like to call funtime) come when the person pulls a little bitch-ass move, and "tags out" right when they know they're about to get slammed.

e.g. someone saying the vegetarian diet is deficient in protien...

now "I" know and "you" know this is false and is opinion or "distorted informationally" based, but that person doesn't, so we start the conversation on the "scientific" level. however, after about 3 minutes the person realizes they don't know shit about protien and the defenses come up...and you know the rest...self-consciousness...feeling like shit because of exposed ignorance...etc.

that type of shit happens here every single day...

(((((PEACE)))))

11708, in this case
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 08:36 AM
hot thyng deserves a lot more credit than he recieved, and the initial reaction will be taken as the universal reaction, and so many people will be turned away from what cd be a moment of reflection

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11709, Questions
Posted by M2, Sat Sep-22-01 07:01 AM

-Who appointed you as some sort of quasi-devine entity that needs to go around "converting" people to your way of life?

-WHY do you have such a strong need to convert everyone to your way of thinking? If YOU'RE confident in your beliefs, why waste time with people who could care less about them?

I'm not saying you fall into this category, but *sometimes* I think people who are on such a crusade to convert other people's to their own, simply lack the strength of their own convictions and need other people to agree/support them in order to garner the strength to press on.

-What makes you think YOUR way is always the right way and that someone else's way of doing things isn't better for that person or better in general?

You present Afrikan culture as being communal, wholistic, cooperative.....it would seem to me that it would be very "adaptive" and would consider other ways of doing things, instead of presenting a rigid, uniform way of life that must be followed to the letter BY ALL PEOPLE, and refuses to even ponder the idea that other ways of doing things can be effective, correct or even the best way for that person.

-Be honest, are you REALLY promoting a better way of life or simply attacking everything Western/Non Afrikan? As I said before, it is VERY possible for someone to do something that doesn't fit into your way of thinking that is the best thing for them.

-Why do you boil down everything that goes contrary to your beliefs as being a case of "weakness" "lack of discipline" "a desire to embrace western principles" etc, etc.

Is your "Afrikan Culture" so perfect that the only reason people won't accept it is weakness of character.

Funny, a lot of other cultures/religions believe the same thing. ;)

To be Honest, a lot of the things you present (To Me) seem to be more for the purpose of rejecting Western Culture and being Afrikan, since a lot of the benefits you discuss can be acquired in other ways. I.e. Health.

I'm not trying to be offensive, but you (And Others) seem to present this Afrikan culture thing, more for the purpose of establishing superiority then for any other purpose. The Glee in "attacking" others, makes your motives seem more nafarious then noble. I see more of a personal benefit in terms of proving one's superiority/attacking western culture then overall improvement to one's life.

You study Martial arts right?

Well, there are people in the martial arts world who love to criticize other styles, present their practioners as weak..while never really giving people a "true" benefit as to why their style is better....or could help them defeat an opponent who practices something different.

E.g. Tae Kwan Do Vs. Kung Fu and other similar arguments.

Peace,

M2
11710, wow...
Posted by SankofaII, Sat Sep-22-01 10:45 AM
you essentially summed up the feelings of MANY FOLK who REFUSE to post here...im shocked because i was thinking a LOT of what you JUST posted to utamaroho...
Ryan

I hear voices and i can't stand to be alone
'Cause emptiness is all I've ever known
Soiled by my lust I feel no shame
No longer forsaken
when they call my name
No one is faithful
I am weak
I go astray
Forgive me for my ways
- FROM "FAITHFUL"

"Are you free?"
11711, See that's the thing
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 07:52 AM
ha;f the shit you say, you do it because you're the loser who actually thinks you can hurt someone by it...

calling people bitches, calling them stupid and whatnot ain't because you're trying to help someone see the light it's because you're a bully as mutherfucka who wants attention and does it by calling people's names and telling them nonsense like do better, when you don't even try and do better yourself...

in the words of your own sig...

if it don't work, DO BETTER..

11712, umm...
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 08:02 AM
talk to some of the atl players who know me...i call peope names because its funny. PERIOD. last night i was like "Fuck a okayplayer" "Fuck a Case_one" "Fuck a Koku" "Fuck a job!"...

you see, THEY know my sense of humor, and know i'm not a "bully" (otherwise when koku was throwing jabs at me, i would've said something...or worse)...jus that the shit most people let offend them, makes me laugh...

anyone on the internet who feels any sort of emotion to a four or five letter word being typed in reference to them should kill themslves... this isn't reality! how many times do i have to say this!

lemme tell you about my VERY FIRST POST on okayplayer...

it was entitled "Negroes Voting: WHY?". i posted it in general and Binlahab ripped that shit up. piece by piece...he called m every name ini the book and challenged my whole persona. MY FIRST POST! did i lay down and take it, NO! cuz this is the internet! i responded and that was it...

if cats get offended...FUCK EM!

(((((PEACE)))))

11713, i'll give u the language
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 08:13 AM
fkhead

but that's just becuz

as an ARTIST

i see beauty (or humor) in the juxtaposition of words that make strange bedfellows (like u an hal or the line "u the fkn free bird that cn't fly steady")

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11714, another thing
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 08:45 AM
you can't even prove most of the things you say, and just cause you use bigger words than someone doesn't mean that you're right it doesn't even mean you're more intelligent all it means is taht it will atke a longer time to get the stick outta your ass...

on a lighter note...some of the things I see you post here are just as blindsided as the things that other people say and even so for those who offer up personal experience, you never challenged that or took teh initiative to research what it is they talk about...

All you do is read a book written by someone with an afrakan name with some afra centric philosphies which are westernized anyways and claim that you know, when you don't all you are is a follower and sheepish one at that...

doing better isn't knowing more books ad more authors by afrakan people, doing better is searching for truth...

and you don't do that, and I know you don't do that from your blindsigted posts...
11715, g love...is this you fuckin' w/ me?
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 08:49 AM
for real? or is it you Solarus?

big words??? WTF?!? anyways...

check the archives...

*sad but typical* geez... i swear sometimes i think yall be makin' up usernames just to mess with people! :)

(((((PEACE)))))

11716, AliasesR4pussies
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 08:52 AM
==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11717, yep...
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 08:55 AM
but if that what it has to come to...

my aliases that i want:

cock_knocker
jesuschrist
holy spirit
utamawazo
the_judge
fuck_you_gross_people
captain_culture
the_universalizer

(((((PEACE)))))

11718, good ones
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 08:57 AM
lemme think ov sum for me

why the fk not?

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11719, also
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 09:01 AM
everything_about_europe_is_evil

and

afrikans_really_are_god's_chosen_peolpe

(((((PEACE)))))

11720, too long to type (funny fr a day or two)
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 09:07 AM
==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11721, RE: also
Posted by HalleluYAH, Fri Sep-21-01 09:09 AM
those are cool...

you know I like the last one...

11722, well...
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 07:42 AM
>*of course i realize this is
>universalizing a small group's responses
11723, RE: scenario:
Posted by M2, Fri Sep-21-01 10:44 PM
Uta, look at this another way:

It's not about Western or Afrikan beliefs per se, discipline or not wanting to accept a better way of life. Think of it, as what your suggesting could cause other problems/and or isn't a complete solution, neglects other things, etc.

It's not about binary thinking or African Vs. European.

>Friend: "whatever dude, you're supposed to
>eat high protein after a
>workout, you need to feed
>the muscles."

High protein after a workout is neccessary, your body needs protein to rebuild itself. People who engage in moderate to intense regular excercise on a regular basis, can easily see the difference in their bodies, physical strength, muscle endurance and overall level of fitness with respect to what they eat after a workout, particularly when it comes to protein.

I don't crave foods that are high in protein, so during my track days it caused me a problem, UNTIL I changed my diet, got the protein I needed and started running past fools, recovering quicker, etc, etc.

I'm healthier, my body is performing better, the results are easily quantifiable.

SO what about your friend?

Well, it could be that your friend is eating to close to bed time, ingesting the wrong protein source, eating a crappy protein supplement that causes pain and cramps similar to lactose intolerance (Which I'm almost 100% sure is the case), eating too much after a workout, etc, etc.

It may not be western thinking, it may be dumb thinking in general when it comes to his nutrition.....AND going your way, may not solve his problem, particularly if protein is the issue.

Finally, when it comes to vegetarian diets, fasting, and so called "Afrikan" diets in general, it may not be those diets or activities that are the solution to the person's health problem per se......because it may just be that they stopped eating something they shouldn't E.g. the thing causing the problem (I.e. Red Meat).....and that their new diet fails them in other ways that don't cause as much discomfort/pain/illness....but are problems nonetheless.

So an Athlete who eats red meat as has issues, and becomes a vegetarian, may be not getting all the protein he needs, protein he could get if he added a little chicken or fish, which wouldn't cause him the problem that beef does.

You dig? You sometimes paint your diet/opinions/ideas as the only way, an any opposition to them as "western thinking" "laziness" Undisciplined" or whatever, instead of considering that the other person may be at least 1/2 right and/or going your way may not be the best solution.

And it has nothing to do with "Afrikaness" :)

Peace,

M2

11724, RE: you're high dude, but ill indulge
Posted by M2, Fri Sep-21-01 10:55 PM

>the whole point of preventative health
>practices is to avoid the
>"BAD" things, the negative effets
>of the epicurian lifestyle. It
>only seems like "discipline and
>sacrifice" to the European, only
>ecause this is not his
>way of life, nor should
>it be. lemme say that
>again:
>
>It only seems like "discipline and
>sacrifice" to the European, only
>ecause this is not his
>way of life
>

You can EASILY eat a diet that you would call "European" and engage in preventative health pratices, I've been doing it for years. :)

It's not Afrikan or nothing, what you would call the European diet exists in instances that are perfectly healthy.

Besides, what makes you think everyone in Africa (before european influence, and even now) eats the way you do? It's silly to present anything as monolithically african, due to the diverse nature of the region.

>BENEFITS: Not getting a cold in
>winter is a pleasure. Fasting
>to gain patience and mastery
>over hunger is a pleasure.
>Being able to offer suggestions
>to my coworkers for problems
>they have that i've incorporated
>and seen work ini me...then
>have them come back and
>tell me they're cured is
>a pleasure.

That's cool; but there are millions of people like myself who aren't vegetarian, don't do the all natural & raw food thing, but yet, don't get colds, heal faster then the general populace, can push themselves harder workouts without injury, etc, etc.......

and eat the occassional hamburger, eat meat, eat dairy products and will live perfectly healthy lives.

It's not all or nothing, or about culutural lifestyles, Afrikan Vs. European, etc, etc. There are multiple ways to do things and everyone is different, there is NO set way of living your life with respect to food and health. People can do different things and be just as healthy as someone else with a different lifestyle.

It's not about discipline & cultural philosophies, it's about what's best for your body (as well as moderation) and your way is not the best way for everyone.

Peace,

M2

11725, That's it
Posted by Solarus, Fri Sep-21-01 06:18 AM
Akwaaba

I can't take anymore or these pitiful little posts that you make because you feel gross about yourself. DO BETTER!

Before you step into the realm break out of that gross conditioning in which all you EVER do is find "substitutions" i.e. apply your pitiful American ideology on everything under the sun.

"Post up one (or 2) things from this magical bible on all things Afrikan that has something to do w/pleasure."

First off ain't no magical Afrikan Bible and Afrikans (cross-"tribally") realize that change is constant and nothing is edged in stone. If it works do it, if it doesn't, DO BETTER!

Second, pleasure is SUBJECTIVE. Defined by the DEFINER!

"Like, is there anything an Afrikan can do to enjoy him/herself?"

Dancing, Games, Being with Family, NATIONBUILDING, singing, etc.

"All you ever give from that wonderful, knowledgable book of life are stern lessons on discipline and sacrifice and blah blah blah. (To me that's GROSS)"

What "book of life" is this? DO BETTER!

"I wanna know, what are the rewards of being so disciplined? At least Christians promote the afterlife thing to keep ppl going."

"To keep ppl going?" That's a CRUTCH! That's what children and PITIFUL adults need to what??? DO BETTER!!!

"What does Laila offer? I mean, other than the thrill of going around shouting at everyone about how "gross" they are and how much more disciplined Afrikans are and all that."

Afrikans are SUFFERING from ill health WORLDWIDE and all Laila Afrika is doing is providing solutions to circumventing ILL HEALTH. Don't get mad at him because YOU'RE GROSS!!! Again, DO BETTER!

"Like, can I have some Afrikan pudding? An Afrikan cookie? An Afrikan Now-and-Later?Is there any sunshine for an Afrikan? Is there any joy in there?"

There is plenty of JOY for the Afrikan. I'm sorry if this "joy" does not correspond to your Euro-AMERICAN view of "JOY." NOW and Later ??!!!! Eating gross ass processed sugar artificial bs is a JOY!!! SAD!

For Afrikan pudding and cookies go get a cookbook, there's plenty of 'em out there!

For sunshine GO OUTSIDE!

"It might help your little cause or whatever seem a little more objective. As it stands now you've presented nothing but condemnation of one way of living, as opposed to promoting another."

Building/Destroying go together. This is only natural when telling someone a HEALTHIER way to live. Apparently their previous way must have been less healthy than the other way.

For real dude, your posts sound like a damn crybaby.

GROW UP!

and

DO BETTER!

PEace
solarICE

Still representin' the RED, BLACK & GREEN since 1978!
EFF RED, WHITE, & BLUE*!

Ain't a damn thing changed...

*That includes the Panamanian "dummy government setup by you know who" flag.

***Something to think about***

"if the god of these religions (judaism/christianity/islam) is not above using terrorist tactics to make people believe in Him (and what's the big deal if people do Not believe in Him? God is a egomaniac) then why wouldnt the hardcore followers of these faiths have a tendency to terrorism as well?"- yuckwheat

***PEace to those who made the transition...***
11726, heh sol
Posted by HalleluYAH, Fri Sep-21-01 06:20 AM
did that meeting happen last night, I went and couldn't find it...

what's up with that

11727, i love you
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 06:21 AM
"If it works do it, if it doesn't, DO BETTER!"

my new sig...plus

i'm going to put this onto a t-shirt...

11728, Wrath is cool
Posted by urbgriot, Fri Sep-21-01 06:23 AM

11729, that's not what Baba Vita says
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 06:27 AM
:)

...but sometimes you just can't take pitifula ass shit anymore.

Crawford makes a point to making sure he raises WARRIORS! Afrikan men who can not only protect their own, build their future, but also CALL THOSE OUT who are ptential threats to one's way of life. Being on the defensive is not always the best way. Like when Baba says "you can defend yourself perfectly in some styles, but what happens when someone is attakcing your child (way of life)?"

At some point you just have to take out the sword.

(((((PEACE)))))

11730, Actually
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 06:36 AM
I'm not at all interested in "doing better" if better means following the tenets laid down in that text. Call me "gross", "Euro" and alla that all you want, b/c I've been called worse. ("fag" "nigger" vs. "gross"? No contest, pal.)

11731, aaaaaannnnnnndddddd....
Posted by alek, Sun Sep-23-01 05:55 AM
...WE HAVE A WINNER!!

You're absolutely right.

Alek

Posted by alek, Sun Sep-23-01 06:10 AM
>Before you step into the realm
>break out of that gross
>conditioning in which all you
>EVER do is find "substitutions"
>i.e. apply your pitiful American
>ideology on everything under the
>sun.

Funny...somehow "applying ideology on everything" sounds familiar to me...where?...
...oh YEAH!!

From all of your posts on this board.

Way to think outside the box. DO BETTER yourself.

Applying your worldview to everyone/everything else is a WESTERN practice, and guess what? You're doing it.

>>"All you ever give from that
>>wonderful, knowledgable book of life
>>are stern lessons on discipline
>>and sacrifice and blah blah
>>blah. (To me that's GROSS)"

>What "book of life" is this?
> DO BETTER!

Sorry, but this is a pathetic response to a serious question and a good point. I've been studying African music intensively for three straight years now.

There are PLENTY of revolutionary things you could say about cultural life and recreation that would still open people's minds (I'm assuming that's a main objective of yours/ours).

Granted, you may know less about those aspects of Afrikan life than the philosophical/spiritual/ethical/political aspects, but then I'd suggest "I don't know" or "I'm still learning that" as appropriate responses.

>>"I wanna know, what are the
>>rewards of being so disciplined?
>>At least Christians promote the
>>afterlife thing to keep ppl
>>going."

>"To keep ppl going?" That's
>a CRUTCH! That's what children
>and PITIFUL adults need to
>what??? DO BETTER!!!

Another reactionary response to an even BETTER question. Why don't you give us your opinion an "what the rewards of discipline" are? I think that'd be valuable...or at least a lot more valuable that castigation.

>>"What does Laila offer? I mean,
>>other than the thrill of
>>going around shouting at everyone
>>about how "gross" they are
>>and how much more disciplined
>>Afrikans are and all that."

>Afrikans are SUFFERING from ill health
>WORLDWIDE and all Laila Afrika
>is doing is providing solutions
>to circumventing ILL HEALTH.
>Don't get mad at him
>because YOU'RE GROSS!!! Again,
>DO BETTER!

This is hilarious. hothyng asks "what does Laila offer other than shouting 'you're gross!' at everyone," and after you give a terrific answer to that question, you turn around and shout "YOU'RE GROSS!!!" at him.

Yes, I'm positive that those two words provided many solutions to circumventing ILL HEALTH in Africa.

>There is plenty of JOY for
>the Afrikan. I'm sorry
>if this "joy" does not
>correspond to your Euro-AMERICAN view
>of "JOY." NOW and Later
>??!!!! Eating gross ass processed
>sugar artificial bs is a
>JOY!!! SAD!

...heheheh. So much for pleasure being SUBJECTIVE.

>Building/Destroying go together. This is
>only natural when telling someone
>a HEALTHIER way to live.

Actually, this strikes me as a SUPREMELY European/colonialist way of thought.

You can DO BETTER if you want to, but if you don't just continue on.

Alek
Posted by Solarus, Sun Sep-23-01 07:24 AM
Akwaaba

Before I respond to your post I just want to say that I let my emotions get the better of me when responding to Hotthyng. Thus the post was more of rant of frustration than any certifiable lesson building. I fucked up.

Nevertheless I want to respond to you

(cuz your gross :-))

>>Before you step into the realm
>>break out of that gross
>>conditioning in which all you
>>EVER do is find "substitutions"
>>i.e. apply your pitiful American
>>ideology on everything under the
>>sun.
>
>Funny...somehow "applying ideology on everything" sounds
>familiar to me...where?...
>...oh YEAH!!
>
>From all of your posts on
>this board.

He asked about questions about "pleasure" based on his own understanding of what pleasure means in the context of another. Instead of asking HOW the "other" defined pleasure, he sarcastically questioned where could pleasure possibly come from in an "afrikan" context.

>
>Applying your worldview to everyone/everything else
>is a WESTERN practice, and
>guess what? You're doing
>it.

Actually EVERYONE apply their ideology on everyone and everything when trying to understand them which in an of itself is not right/wrong (initially that is). I take this into account when talking to anyone. This is nothing but ignorance, i.e. not knowing, which is not "wrong." HOwever with knowledge one learns that another's way is DIFFERENT. The problem is when one continually applies same thinking to how others act i.e. universalism despite KNOWLEDGE. Hotthyng has continually done this DESPITE KNOWLEDGE! THAT IS THE PROBLEM! this isn't the first time this discussion has been brought up.

>
>>>"All you ever give from that
>>>wonderful, knowledgable book of life
>>>are stern lessons on discipline
>>>and sacrifice and blah blah
>>>blah. (To me that's GROSS)"
>
>>What "book of life" is this?
>> DO BETTER!
>
>Sorry, but this is a pathetic
>response to a serious question
>and a good point.
>I've been studying African music
>intensively for three straight years
>now.

No it isn't. It was not a "serious question." Name me a "book of life" from Afrikan traditions. Odu Ifa maybe??? Pert Em Heru??? MAYBE but this question was NOT serious. The topic is HEALTH AND PLEASURE and the "book of life" that he was sarcastically referring to was a work written by Laila Afrika. It was a pitiful and disrespectful attempt at humor and your attempt to justify it is also pitiful and disrespectful. Seriously dude TRY HARDER. You example of African music has NOTHING to do with the topic.

>Granted, you may know less about
>those aspects of Afrikan life
>than the philosophical/spiritual/ethical/political aspects, but
>then I'd suggest "I don't
>know" or "I'm still learning
>that" as appropriate responses.

This had NOTHING to do with the topic. TRY HARDER or just go to another forum. I will discuss all that I know when it is appropriate. Here it was not.
>
>>>"I wanna know, what are the
>>>rewards of being so disciplined?
>>>At least Christians promote the
>>>afterlife thing to keep ppl
>>>going."
>
>>"To keep ppl going?" That's
>>a CRUTCH! That's what children
>>and PITIFUL adults need to
>>what??? DO BETTER!!!
>
>Another reactionary response to an even
>BETTER question. Why don't
>you give us your opinion
>an "what the rewards of
>discipline" are? I think
>that'd be valuable...or at least
>a lot more valuable that
>castigation.

I've discussed this SEVERAL TIMES before. Check "God is IMMANENT" in the archives. And don't think I am not willing to re-dscuss a previously discussed topic, because i am. However I did not see the need in this case as Hotthyng has a history of doing these sorts of posts WITH HIS QUESTIONS BEING ANSWERED! Thus I did not feel obligated to give him any true eye-opening answers. And like i said iwas pissed.

>>>"What does Laila offer? I mean,
>>>other than the thrill of
>>>going around shouting at everyone
>>>about how "gross" they are
>>>and how much more disciplined
>>>Afrikans are and all that."
>
>This is hilarious. hothyng asks
>"what does Laila offer other
>than shouting 'you're gross!' at
>everyone," and after you give
>a terrific answer to that
>question, you turn around and
>shout "YOU'RE GROSS!!!" at him.
>

Are you a dumbass or are you trying to piss me off? (I think its both) ANYWAYS-> utamaroho made a post detailing some of what Laila "offers." When does Laila say anyone is "gross?" Again Hotthyng made a stupid ass post based on his own personal feelings about UTAMAROHO and NOT the author of the book that UTAMAROHO QUOTED, AND displace his opinions of UTAMAROHO on the AUTHOR OF THE BOOK. Now you DEFENDING HIM IS HILARIOUS!!!!

>>>Building/Destroying go together. This is
>>only natural when telling someone
>>a HEALTHIER way to live.

>Actually, this strikes me as a
>SUPREMELY European/colonialist way of thought.

The difference: Most people (of whatever belief, culture, etc.) believe that their way is RIGHT and in some (most?)cases SUPERIOR to another. However when this particular group of people IMPOSE THEIR WAY ON OTHERS DESPITE THE WISHES OF THE "OTHER" GROUP then THAT IS IMPERIALISM.

If I tell you another way to live, then that is JUST IT! I'M TELLING YOU NOT FORCING YOU!

Come on man

DO....

aw forget it.

PEace
solarICE

EFF RED, WHITE, & BLUE*!

"if the god of these religions (judaism/christianity/islam) is not above using terrorist tactics to make people believe in Him (and what's the big deal if people do Not believe in Him? God is a egomaniac) then why wouldnt the hardcore followers of these faiths have a tendency to terrorism as well?"- yuckwheat

11734, for what it's worth...
Posted by alek, Sun Sep-23-01 10:14 AM
>Before I respond to your post
>I just want to say
>that I let my emotions
>get the better of me
>when responding to Hotthyng.
>Thus the post was more
>of rant of frustration than
>any certifiable lesson building.
>I fucked up.

...you didn't do a much better job of controling yourself in your response to me.

I'm not trying to piss you off, believe me. I'm trying to learn, and to teach, like everybody else.

However, my response to you was definitely hasty, in that you admitted below that you'd let your emotions get the better of you.

>He asked about questions about "pleasure"
>based on his own understanding
>of what pleasure means in
>the context of another.
>Instead of asking HOW the
>"other" defined pleasure, he sarcastically
>questioned where could pleasure possibly
>come from in an "afrikan"
>context.

Agreed. I'm not saying it wasn't a somewhat cheap post.

>>Applying your worldview to everyone/everything else
>>is a WESTERN practice, and
>>guess what? You're doing
>>it.

>Actually EVERYONE apply their ideology on
>everyone and everything when trying
>to understand them which in
>an of itself is not
>right/wrong (initially that is).
>I take this into account
>when talking to anyone.

Okay. Agreed.
Actually, I think the trend toward universal human constants is definitely a western one, though. Western anthropology invented the "universal scales" and "universal methodology" of cultural inquiry. We obviously think we can be objective.

Whereas, in my experience, non-Western cultures have a more relatavist understanding of things, an understanding and acceptance of difference. But, obviously, that's not always true.

>This is nothing but ignorance,
>i.e. not knowing, which is
>not "wrong." HOwever with
>knowledge one learns that another's
>way is DIFFERENT. The problem
>is when one continually applies
>same thinking to how others
>act i.e. universalism despite KNOWLEDGE.

Completely agree.

>Hotthyng has continually done this
>DESPITE KNOWLEDGE! THAT IS THE
>PROBLEM! this isn't the
>first time this discussion has
>been brought up.

Well, in that case, neither you or Hotthyng is contributing much to the debate by pissing at each-other for your own personal reasons. At least according to your very first response.

>>Sorry, but this is a pathetic
>>response to a serious question
>>and a good point.
>>I've been studying African music
>>intensively for three straight years

>this question
>was NOT serious.

It wasn't phrased seriously, but I believe it *was* a serious question. On reading Hotthyng's original post (despite it's kind of objectionable tone), I was eager to see how you and others would respond, because I considered it (in substance) to be a valuable question that doesn't get addressed very often.

I was disappointed. Some people definitely spoke about pleasure and its cultural/cross-cultural definitions, but you mainly ranted, and I thought you (as someone with a wealth of knowledge and understanding) should be called on that.

>It
>was a pitiful and disrespectful
>attempt at humor and your
>attempt to justify it is
>also pitiful and disrespectful.

All I did was justify the content of the question. I'm not defending anyone.

>Seriously dude TRY HARDER. You
>example of African music has
>NOTHING to do with the
>topic.

Actually, it has a whole fucking lot to do with it, so don't dismiss me. I was volunteering an avenue through which other conceptions of pleasure could be explained. I know a lot about it, and (had someone else not done it for me), I would have given my personal take on pleasure in African culture -- which would have included town ritual, the aestheticization (or, depending on how you look at it, the un-aestheticization) of daily life, the integration of work and art, the integration of duty and recreation...a whole lot of relevant things.

>This had NOTHING to do with
>the topic. TRY HARDER

I don't think "TRY HARDER," even though it has a nice ring to it, has any meaning whatsoever.

Try harder to think like you?
Try harder to act like you?
Try harder to write like you?

Try harder to agree with you?

If all you're saying is, "put more care into your thoughts and actions," then that's fine but stop screaming it, and stop using it as a debating tool to grind people down. That's crap, and it's a silly shortcut ("you just don't try hard enough, that's why your argument isn't legitimate").

>>Another reactionary response to an even
>>BETTER question. Why don't
>>you give us your opinion
>>an "what the rewards of
>>discipline" are? I think
>>that'd be valuable...or at least
>>a lot more valuable that
>>castigation.

>I've discussed this SEVERAL TIMES before.

I know, I've been here for a while.

>And don't think
>I am not willing to
>re-dscuss a previously discussed topic,
>because i am. However
>I did not see the
>need in this case

So why respond?
Why let someone bait you, and why be baited?

> Thus I did not
>feel obligated to give him
>any true eye-opening answers.

see above.

>>This is hilarious. hothyng asks
>>"what does Laila offer other
>>than shouting 'you're gross!' at
>>everyone," and after you give
>>a terrific answer to that
>>question, you turn around and
>>shout "YOU'RE GROSS!!!" at him.

>Are you a dumbass or are you trying to piss me off? (I think its both)

oooooohhhh....scalding. First of all, you know me and I'm neither. I think this board has just gotten too lovey-dovey for your (and my) taste. Did you forget our disagreements?
They're fun ( :-) ), remember them.

ANYWAYS-> utamaroho made a post detailing some of what Laila "offers."

I know. It was really good.

>When does Laila say anyone is "gross?" Again Hotthyng made a >stupid ass post based on his own personal feelings about >UTAMAROHO and NOT the author of the book that UTAMAROHO QUOTED, >AND displace his opinions of UTAMAROHO on the AUTHOR OF THE >BOOK.

Agreed. He was targeting uta and you, in a very real sense. But he DID ask the question, and you DO have an answer (which, like I said, you gave and I thought was terrific).

But...then you turned around and did exactly what he was accusing you of -- even though it was an inappropriate and irrelevant accusation.

He asked if your entire purpose was to call people gross, and you said: "No, there's this and this and this, and even asking this question makes YOU GROSS!!"

See the inconsistency?

Now you DEFENDING HIM IS HILARIOUS!!!!

I didn't.
>The difference: Most people (of
>whatever belief, culture, etc.) believe
>that their way is RIGHT
>and in some (most?)cases SUPERIOR
>to another.

yes.

However when this
>particular group of people IMPOSE
>THEIR WAY ON OTHERS DESPITE
>THE WISHES OF THE "OTHER"
>GROUP then THAT IS IMPERIALISM.

yes. good point.

>If I tell you another way
>to live, then that is
>JUST IT! I'M TELLING YOU
>NOT FORCING YOU!

okay.
thanks for...

***NOT FORCING ME!!!!!!***

>Come on man
>
>DO....
>
>aw forget it.

Oh, very good. The reliable standby, complete with inherent hypocrisy (if we all "DO" than why are we on this message board) and lack of meaning.

S:"Come on man...DO!"

A: "Oh, I see."

Alek
Posted by Solarus, Sun Sep-23-01 10:33 AM
and I've been working on my thesis proposal since yesterday (didn't go home). I'm not stressed or anything just tired. I was an ass (to you), my bad.

Hotthyng has asked questions along the same line before and I have tried to offer what I could with 100% less wrath. I wasn't going to respond but then I was like "Fuck it! this cat's goin down."

Anyways i still wouldn't have responded with a serious and thoughtful answer even if i didn't rant, because of the sarcastic nature of his post. Look at M2's post "Afrika." He asked a serious question and I answered to the best of my ability because of the tone that he put forth.

Anyways

TRY HARDER and

DO BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;-)
(i love saying that)

PEace
solarICE

EFF RED, WHITE, & BLUE*!

11736, fair enough...
Posted by alek, Sun Sep-23-01 05:40 PM
>TRY HARDER and
>
>DO BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>;-)
>(i love saying that)

Fair enough. It's not a *bad* slogan.

And, if it wasn't already clear to you, I consider you among the best of my many teachers (and students) on this board...

Respect, fool! WHAT?!

Alek

Posted by Solarus, Mon Sep-24-01 03:24 AM
"And, if it wasn't already clear to you, I consider you among the best of my many teachers (and students) on this board..."

I'll give you that.

Although I never was for FIGHTING for reparations I am slowly beginning to think that you WERE right in that RECEIVING reparations itself is negative.

REPARATIONS or REVOLUTION?

I believe that most would take REPARATIONS as THE SIGN that "all is well." Also the fact that Jesse is at the forefront of the Reparations movement AND the African American Reparations issue overlooked other PRESENT DAY issues of slavery and racism at the Racism Conference, doesn't help much.

PEace
solarICE

EFF RED, WHITE, & BLUE*!

11738, well, speaking of...
Posted by alek, Mon Sep-24-01 02:52 PM
...I've been peripherally involved in a reparations task force here in New Haven. They're asking for things people need (funding for education, home-owner programs, etc.), and the fact is, they're going to be more successful under the reparations banner than they would be under a simple advocacy banner (which I'd consider more ideologically and methodologically sound).

So I'm more conflicted now.

But I'd never compare fighting for reparations with BUIlDING A MOVEMENT. If they can truly be part of the same struggle, though, I'm down.

The problem is, Jesse Jackson et al have NOTHING to do with building a movement, so on a national scale I'm still against it.

But here in New Haven, the Reparations Task Force is a faith-based community organization with strong ties to labor and clergy and progressive politics. That's got the big movement feel, so I'm pretty much behind them.

Alek

Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 06:28 AM
when u get high, u come down
when u drink, u wake up sick
when u eat sugar, u crash
when u wake up with caffiene, u get a wierd sick feeling hours later
when u have sex for the feeling alone u cn end up diminishing yrself

these things are true to varying degrees, depending on consumption, body type, etc.

so many "pleasures" that we're fed come as a part of a cycle of regret and self resentment

this is sumthin that's especially clear to me now and over the past 9 months, as i went from being intoxicated much of the time, hangin out with friends much of the time, sneak smoking even tho i'd quit, etc. to being pregnant. i thought there was no way i cd give everything up until i read in a book sumthin to the effect of "the dependence on these vices must be very intense if it is powerful enuf to overshadow the natural maternal instinct." that really struck me. that moment i went clean. no smoking, no drinking, nuthin since.

i still have the same capacity for joy as i did before. but it comes from different places. i still enjoy hangin out with friends and listenning to good music and performing and travelling and- sht- and everything. i still enjoy the hell outta myself mosta the time.

BUT without the substances. without the crashes. without the poisoning.

and i feel like i've discovered sumthing. i've discovered a stability, a confidence, a new sense of self, a clarity- i donno how to put it. but all the potential i used to see in myself and in my husband is unclouded now.

joy duz NOT hafta cum with pain. high duz NOT hafta cum with a crash. and there are too many forces out there that try to drain our natural power.

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11740, also
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 06:32 AM
this is the internet, and i'm not wb girl

but if i wuz

i'd be happy to zap out all those ridiculous, judgemental, angry posts up tehre that came in while i wuz tryin to express myself right.

c'mon yall DO BETTER- isn't a there a maat principle abt unjustified anger? calm down if ya don't *really* wanna answer the question straight and wait for me or nettrice to hit this sht. please........

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11741, I hope you didn't think I was being an a hole
Posted by HalleluYAH, Fri Sep-21-01 06:35 AM
I was...

but it was mostly being sarcastic, you cool ppls even if you think I'm a weirdo, cus for teh most part you're right...

we're all weirdos...

I like what sol ann'em said in teh rumours post, we're one big happy dysfunctional family...

I like that...

11742, actually i'm not a wierdo
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 06:40 AM
nor am i looking for any kinda "yr good enuf yr smart enuf an galdernit ppl like u" feedback from a website

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11743, okay
Posted by HalleluYAH, Fri Sep-21-01 06:43 AM
"We are what we behold and we behold what we are"

11744, werd
Posted by Ape Redwood, Fri Sep-21-01 07:38 AM
------
SPEED ON OR GET PEED ON
11745, Yeah I blew up
Posted by Solarus, Fri Sep-21-01 11:43 AM
Akwaaba

This was just the final straw. I just couldn't take anymore of his whining. I've held my tongue on numerous occassions but I felt that I needed to address this. 90% of Hotthyng's posts in okayactivist are complaining about something utamaroho said. It's just damn pitiful.

Either utamaroho and hotthyng got sumthin goin on offline that we don't know about or he really feels poorly about his current lifestyle.

PEace
solarICE

EFF RED, WHITE, & BLUE*!

11746, allrighty then...
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 11:45 AM

(((((PEACE)))))

11747, U're not deep at all, are u?
Posted by HotThyng76, Sat Sep-22-01 09:17 AM
I couldn't care less about what he's talking about. It's his attitude I complain about.

Read better.
11748, You, I agree with.
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 06:41 AM
If Sol hadn't been so pissy, maybe he could have laid it down like that.

I was trying to see if the Laila book is about more than condemning Euros. I wanted to know if the whole lifestyle is about finding one's center...finding what's real in life and gaining pleasure from that, b/c that's not the way it's presented on this board. Here it seems the book is nothing more than a tool to pump up one's haughtiness. Some of us don't get off on that.

Of course, as a former hard-core Christian, I know better than to get hung up on presentation. It's never good to follow followers.
11749, Sheilding any stones
Posted by cued, Fri Sep-21-01 10:06 AM
I think for us Black Americans, because of the way and the society in which we were raised, when we read books about Afrikan thought, we will always balance it against Euro-American thought because that is what we know. Even, the KNOWLEDGE of it has saved lives as well as destroyed them, often in the same stroke.

And so, this will always take place in some kind of cultural vacuum.

However, we must be careful. Careful because those of us who consider ourselves outside of the Euro-American matrix, at our young ages, cannot fully be free from it. Also, because we get shit on everyday, twice the amount, for knowing, feeling and thinking better of what we are fed daily. This can and often does make us a tad defensive. But I think it is a defensiveness that can be understood through, not dismantled because this defensiveness serves other purposes... like keeping those of us who consider ourselves outside of the Euro-American matrix OUT of it and working towards freeing ourselves in all ways.

This is about liberation, y'all. True liberation never comes without some struggle, some pain, some fuck everything.

If you have ever tried going against the grain, you know what I am talking about. I know that everytime I am at the GBLT community center, I find myself stuck in a double consciousness that I must silence because I _know_ better and I _must_ do better if people within this new community of mine are going to change. And this is hard. Because as a person of Afrikan descent who was raised closely to it (meaning, my ancestors stayed close to where they were enslaved), belonging to something bigger than myself... just the thought of it makes me want to swoon! But I know that I have to pick and choose. What will I have to give up? Will I have to become a "normalized" negro? Well, that's ok. Must I pretend that I think white people aren't, unless wresting themselves from the Euro-American matrix, pitiful? Then... that's ok. am I clear?

Peace,

Q

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"americans are gross!" -utamaroho

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali

11750, always keep yr eyes
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 10:25 AM
one step a hedda u

fr example- if i wanted to stop smoking, it works better for me to change my thinking so i no longer believe i'm a smoker than to dwell on my current practices- because sometimes even 5 minutes can make all the difference

for the first hour that i quit smoking, anyone cda said "but u just smoked less than an hour ago"

what they wouldna known or understaood is that my mind had changed since

and now they'll listen, 9 months later

focus. diligence. self- control/self-respect. be true to yrself/know yrself.

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11751, RE: always keep yr eyes
Posted by cued, Sat Sep-22-01 06:25 PM
I wanted to tell you something.

I have been smoking for four years now. It started when my mother kicked me out... for being a fag... but the story is a lot more complex than that. I came out to her when she was engaged to this dude named John who told her that he was breaking things off because I made him feel uncomfortable. Although she later found out he was sleeping with someone else, it stuck and so out of her fear that their was a drop of truth to it, she wanted to keep me away from her new relationship "the one" and I got the shaft in the form of a letter telling me not to come home a week before I was supposed to go home.

While I was playing around with smoking around that time, after that summer, which was so hard and rough, it became a mainstay.

Now, four years later on the otherside of that reality, I am looking at it and realizing, that I should indeed quit. It has screwed up my voice just minorly, but what has it done to my body?! And as a coping mechanism, it ain't really doing shit anymore... not to mention smoking in dry-assed Tucson just hurts your throat even more.

Although people have lauded me on my ability to feel, I consider myself a thinker as my mind and body are quite connected. However, to make such a decision would take an agreement between the two. My body is all like: Stop putting that shit in me, damnit! As my throat swells from the natural allergic reaction I have to smoking. However, my mind was all like: But I need to keep calm or else people will treat me funny and I don't wanna be treated funny... and I _DON'T_ wanna gain weight.

Well, today, I smoked only ONCE in six hours. I was at a chorus retreat and I felt weird about smoking when it so obviously is bad for my voice. But what I noticed was that amid all the zany looniness that accompanies nicotine-depletion from the blood system, I realized that I was being very, very true to myself. I am some strange mix of very serious and very quirky.

But the reason why I am telling you all this is because I was thinking about what you said about changing your mindset -- changing how you THINK about things, in your, and my, case smoking.

Slowly, but it's happening, I am changing my thinking around the "why Quentin smokes". What I realize, right now, is that it is not to keep my calm, but to suppress my shine because people can't always tolerate or know what to do with someone like me who shines so brightly.

Well... they gone have to figure out what to do with themselves all over again.

*winks*

Peace,

and thanks,

Q

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali

11752, Chewsticks
Posted by kemetian, Sun Sep-23-01 09:46 PM
HTP
when u stop (and u will), if u feel the need to keep something in yor mouth u can use chewsticks, they r great for the teeth.

On a more serious note (but i was serious about that): what u said about knowing "why Quentin smokes", reminded me of a convo i had w/ a friend about some unhealthy behaviour, my suggestion was to just stop. he told me there was some psychological reason for his behavior and he would have to examine it b/c it was 2 hard to just stop. now i'm not suggesting that this is the case w/ u, but what u said reminded me of a question that i've had:

Do u (and anyone else) think knowing y one is engaging in unhealthy or potentially destructive behaviour is prerequisite to the cessation of said behaviour?

Shemhotep
Our limitations are a temporary point
in our growth, as opposed to a finite
and essential quality of our spirit.
-Ra Un Nefer Amen (paraphrased)
11753, RE: Chewsticks
Posted by cued, Sun Sep-23-01 09:58 PM
Before I smoked, I actually ate anything wooden.. like toothpicks and those long wooden things you get in new shoes. My mother was _horrified_.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes. I am one of those people who, admittedly, like to intellectualize or analyze or process EVERYTHING (damnit, I would have made a WONDERFUL lesbian -- yeah, that was a stereotype, but, damnit, I _like_ it!). I am not spontaneous, but think/feeling my way through things is what helps me let it go... sometimes, it is replaced with a cold indifference (which is what I have for some people, although they might think I hate them or something -- but it ain't that deep, I just ain't letting them get in a position to hurt me at all, ever again). So, if I can think about "why" while hating the behavior, then I will, eventually, give it up.

But I have to be careful, because some would say that homosexuality is a "bad habit/behavior" -- which is why I have to think/feel through things. If I don't sit down, with my own mind and my own truths, then I would jump at every suggestion that comes outside me and ignore what I hear inside.

*smiles* For people like me, and your friend, I suspect, you really have to listen and help to guide his thought with him, not with you. Having objectives is the easiest way for me to shut off... So... I need support!

*hugs* kemetian, I think you rule. You are now among my favorite OKP's...

Peace,

Q

BTW, I took what you said about European/Euro-American culture being diametrically opposed to Afrocentric culture elsewhere, to the friends I have been having problems with. Instead of anything being illuminating, I have been bombarded with the worst of it. Right now, I am feeling very aimless and somewhat pissed... but no post jackin'.

Peace,

Quentin

Uplifting thoughts:

11754, no
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Sep-24-01 11:56 AM
u can always find an excuse or a reason for yr behavior. usually, u can find many

if it's possible to quit without layin yrsef on the couch, do it.

for example (an extreme and really ez example) say yr smokin crack. does it matter why? shd u toast yr lighter to more examination time? hell no. if u cn quit, just do it. and fast.

(one thing my dad always used to say to me while i was growin up is "there's always an excuse." i thought he was an ass at the time, but no other words have meant more to me since.)

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11755, justICE
Posted by Solarus, Fri Sep-21-01 12:24 PM

Akwaaba

"I was trying to see if the Laila book is about more than condemning Euros. I wanted to know if the whole lifestyle is about finding one's center...finding what's real in life and gaining pleasure from that, b/c that's not the way it's presented on this board. Here it seems the book is nothing more than a tool to pump up one's haughtiness. Some of us don't get
off on that. "

If that was your question you should have asked. No matter how you may perceive utamaroho's "tactics" (which I don't always agree with), there was no reason for you to assume that the book from which his information derived had anything to do with utamaroho's "Afrikanness" <-wherever that is :-).

The other book "Bowel Management" was written by a European. Therefore if you had a question about the book you should have asked and not made such an assumption about it.

I think you and utamaroho need quiet time together.

PEace
solarICE

EFF RED, WHITE, & BLUE*!

11756, Personally...
Posted by cued, Fri Sep-21-01 03:50 PM
Methinks I sense some sexual tension.

*lol*

Peace,

Q

Uplifting thoughts:

11757, He's got 9".
Posted by HotThyng76, Sat Sep-22-01 09:18 AM
I think we just might need that time.

;-)
11758, RE: Yo, question for hot thyng...
Posted by guest, Sat Sep-22-01 04:01 AM
Have you ever tried to just READ one of Dr. Afrika's books? Wouldn't that answer your questions more effectively than this?
11759, It might, but
Posted by HotThyng76, Sat Sep-22-01 09:19 AM
I'm not that interested. I want it handed to me.
11760, RE: It might, but
Posted by guest, Sat Sep-22-01 07:40 PM
Wow, what a bullshit, weak ass excuse!
11761, baba vita said last night:
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 06:42 AM
women have an incline to be more "spiritual" than men and more in touch with the "flowing" "softer" power that we all search for in life...this comes from the ability to bring forth life, because at that point (all things being equal) one can witness a human being truly giving its all (emotionally/physically/spiritually) to another without selfishness, without regret, and with divine love. usually this responsibilty and behavior is opposite for men, who take, take, take and exude that "hardcore" type attribut of power.

"be like the wind" he says. you can't grab it, but it possesses that soft power that can collapse buildings...

i agree with him...hopefully i'll come back a woman next time.

(((((PEACE)))))

11762, in the meantime
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Sep-21-01 06:48 AM
while yr a man

DO BETTER!!!!!!!!!!

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:
11763, *chuckle
Posted by knumskul, Fri Sep-21-01 06:52 AM
11764, you're a hedonist, honey...
Posted by LexM, Fri Sep-21-01 06:45 AM
(at least that's what i've gotten from observing u on the boards for awhile)

and that's ok. :)

but coming from that standpoint...that YOU know you're going to do what feels good to YOU regardless of the consequences, can you see the flip side of that? avoiding things that may be bad for you for the long term benefit to your body/mind?

for example, I didn't try to stop eating (red) meat. it was a kind of natural progression. I wouldn't berate anyone for doing it; I just needed to do what my body asked me to. and I saw the benefits.

but I still ignore my body at times. i did it today. it's not easy to shed the world we live in and try to reeducate ourselves. but it is possible. we can redefine pleasure, health, etc...

utamaroho can come off as judgemental, but maybe try to take some of the info he cites with a grain of salt and see the value in it beyond his judgement.

then if u see nothing, well, hey, nothing lost.

"we were the terrorists up until 9/10/01" (c) rgv

"if i'm smart enough
to sneak around and learn to fly a plane
to get me and all my friends enough false i.d. to board us airplanes
to get me and all my friends through metal detectors and past security guards while hiding weapons
to make an entire plane load of people afraid of my boxcutter
i doubt i would be stupid enough
to leave all the evidence behind in a rental car
unless
i wanted you to think i was something that i'm not" (c) 2ndsurvivor

11765, NO, FUCK THAT!!!
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 06:47 AM
>>utamaroho can come off as judgemental, but maybe try to take some of the info he cites with a grain of salt and see the value in it beyond his judgement.

i'm gong to be judging all in the last days ANYWAYS! just look at this like a pre-test...i'm getting people ready for the final exam!

...and yes, as far as you know it, i'm GOD!
carry on...

(((((PEACE)))))

11766, calm down...
Posted by LexM, Fri Sep-21-01 06:49 AM
i was just stepping into HotThyng's shoes for a minute...

>i'm gong to be judging all
>in the last days ANYWAYS!
>just look at this like
>a pre-test...i'm getting people ready
>for the final exam!

aight man, whatever...

>
>...and yes, as far as you
>know it, i'm GOD!
>carry on...

um...I'm just gonna laugh @ that and move on... :)

"we were the terrorists up until 9/10/01" (c) rgv

"if i'm smart enough
to sneak around and learn to fly a plane
to get me and all my friends enough false i.d. to board us airplanes
to get me and all my friends through metal detectors and past security guards while hiding weapons
to make an entire plane load of people afraid of my boxcutter
i doubt i would be stupid enough
to leave all the evidence behind in a rental car
unless
i wanted you to think i was something that i'm not" (c) 2ndsurvivor

11767, U're funny.
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 06:52 AM
I'm gonna get you a megaphone and sandwich board.

But I bet you have one already.
11768, what is a sandwhich board...
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 06:57 AM

(((((PEACE)))))

11769, A sign you wear.
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 06:58 AM
It's on your front and back.
11770, hahahahaa
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-21-01 07:03 AM
believe it or not, i don't like those cats either...

i'm the quiet one sitting back refining ideas that these gross afrocentrists dream up...making REAL BUILDING a reality vs. something to just talk about. i used to be the main one debunking all this african-centered shit...that is until i took it to cheik anta diop's level and found REAL PROOF for things people in my circles only "talk about"...when people say shit about afrikan centered theories and it sounds like shit, i react. there are some things in this book that i TOTALLY don't agree with and that i wanted to challenge the author on when he was supposed to come to ATL, but his little punk ass useed the whole "WTC no flights out of savannah" thing to hide...:) j/k

i erally did want to question him on a lot of shit though...some of it is just GROSS! but he wa on point with th marijuana thing though...

(((((PEACE)))))

11771, quiet?
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 07:06 AM
You?

hehehehehe

I can't even picture that.
11772, I'm a hedonist today, yes.
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 06:51 AM
>but coming from that standpoint...that YOU
>know you're going to do
>what feels good to YOU
>regardless of the consequences, can
>you see the flip side
>of that? avoiding things that
>may be bad for you
>for the long term benefit
>to your body/mind?

Yeah, I can see it. The way I'm living now is a reaction to my former lifestyle, which was totally focused on the long-term.

>for example, I didn't try to
>stop eating (red) meat. it
>was a kind of natural
>progression. I wouldn't berate anyone
>for doing it; I just
>needed to do what my
>body asked me to. and
>I saw the benefits.

I totally understand that. I've done it myself.

>but I still ignore my body
>at times. i did it
>today. it's not easy to
>shed the world we live
>in and try to reeducate
>ourselves. but it is possible.
>we can redefine pleasure, health,
>etc...

Yes, we can.

My question for the Laila-ers is, how is pleasure defined in the text?

>utamaroho can come off as judgemental,
>but maybe try to take
>some of the info he
>cites with a grain of
>salt and see the value
>in it beyond his judgement.

Don't tell him (or pissy-Sol), but I see the value in it. I mean, the value is obvious.

11773, lol
Posted by LexM, Fri Sep-21-01 06:53 AM
>Yeah, I can see it.
>The way I'm living now
>is a reaction to my
>former lifestyle, which was totally
>focused on the long-term.
>

I can dig that...think you'll eventually come to a middle ground?

>Don't tell him (or pissy-Sol), but
>I see the value in
>it. I mean, the
>value is obvious.

:)

I figured as much. errybody's just not as diplomatic as i am...what's that utama called me? an integrationist? lmao

11774, uhm what's a hedonist???
Posted by HalleluYAH, Fri Sep-21-01 06:56 AM

11775, from dictionary.com
Posted by LexM, Fri Sep-21-01 08:21 AM
he·don·ism (hdn-zm)
n.

1.Pursuit of or devotion to pleasure, especially to the pleasures of the senses.
2.Philosophy. The ethical doctrine holding that only what is pleasant or has pleasant consequences is intrinsically good.
3.Psychology. The doctrine holding that behavior is motivated by the desire for pleasure and the avoidance of pain.

hedon·ist n.
hedon·istic adj.
hedon·isti·cal·ly adv.
11776, thanx
Posted by HalleluYAH, Fri Sep-21-01 08:25 AM

11777, Middle ground? Yup.
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-21-01 06:57 AM
>>Yeah, I can see it.
>>The way I'm living now
>>is a reaction to my
>>former lifestyle, which was totally
>>focused on the long-term.
>>
>
>I can dig that...think you'll eventually
>come to a middle ground?

Most definitely. And soon.

It's a slow process.
11778, RE: Laila Afrika & pleasure.
Posted by kemetian, Fri Sep-21-01 04:42 PM
HTP
The African and European mindsets r diametrically opposed to one another. unfortunately many of us have been in the hands of europeans since very young, K-12, college, media etc. so what We end up with is a european mindset for the most part. latent in us is our NTRal state, our African mindset. what Afrikans are trying to do is reorient Ourselves back to Our NTRal selves/ tap into our ancestral memory that's latent w/in us by studying the ways of Our Ancestors and understanding that Our way is not the same as the way of Europeans. so if all one knows is the european way and one is now met w/ the way, Our way that is diametrically opposed to it, it might _seem_ that another is "anti-everything" when in truth it is probably "anti-everything i am used to."
guess what?
that's fine. @ least u r trying to understand.

the African-centered way is not about fleeting pleasures, but deep lasting pleasure. g_love alluded to this. it's about depth not superficiality. it's not about very high highs and very low lows it's about:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

cycles, which when u back up far enough looks like

PEACE.

so when u ask about cookies and pudding i understand that u r ask about little indulgences, little fun things, is it always serious? no ppl enjoy themselves in elaborate coffee drinking ceremonies, in marriages and loving and nurturing one another, men in hugging their brothers (there's no pressure to be macho) in speaking to NTR and listening It, in trying to be better (which i've heard alot about lately). that's fun, when u think u can't and find out u can. Africans find joy in listening to those whom other ppl don't think have anything to offer, b/c NTR is there too. Africans find joy in teasing one another (trash talking) in fact most of the things We do here, that r seen as African-American traditions are African, rapping, story-telling, stepping etc. Africans have lots of fun, even when times are tough there's always something to smile about.

remember tho' as We evolve what was pleasurable to Us b4 won't be pleasurable to us anymore as we seek lasting pleasure.

pleasure is subjective, sacrifice is subjective.

Africans see life & death as life, death is just a transition so there's no need "to keep ppl going" solely on the promise of something afterwards.

anyhoo, hope that was helpful.

>Hey Uta (or any of you
>other Anti-everythingers),
>
>Post up one (or 2) things
>from this magical bible on
>all things Afrikan that has
>something to do w/pleasure.
>
>Like, is there anything an Afrikan
>can do to enjoy him/herself?
> All you ever give
>from that wonderful, knowledgable book
>of life are stern lessons
>on discipline and sacrifice and
>blah blah blah. (To
>me that's GROSS) I
>wanna know, what are the
>rewards of being so disciplined?
> At least Christians promote
>the afterlife thing to keep
>ppl going. What does
>Laila offer? I mean,
>other than the thrill of
>going around shouting at everyone
>about how "gross" they are
>and how much more disciplined
>Afrikans are and all that.
> Like, can I have
>some Afrikan pudding? An
>Afrikan cookie? An Afrikan
>Now-and-Later?Is there any sunshine for
>an Afrikan? Is there
>any joy in there?
>
>It might help your little cause
>or whatever seem a little
>more objective. As it
>stands now you've presented nothing
>but condemnation of one way
>of living, as opposed to
>promoting another.

11779, RE: Laila Afrika & pleasure.
Posted by cued, Fri Sep-21-01 06:30 PM
DAYUM.

You hit it!

*hugs*

That was so... right on, brotha!

Peace,

Q

who is smiling
and about to go swimming

Uplifting thoughts:

11780, RE: Laila Afrika & pleasure.
Posted by kemetian, Sat Sep-22-01 04:31 AM
HTP

>You hit it!
>
>*hugs*

hugs r nice! back @ u Q!

>That was so... right on, brotha!

i'll be
your
bro-tha
and your motha and your sista too!
(doing a very bad AFKAo+> impression)

Shemhotep

11781, Good one
Posted by Solarus, Sat Sep-22-01 05:43 AM
(((WATER)))
11782, Nice sig
Posted by Maesha, Sat Sep-22-01 09:09 AM

"Our limitations are a temporary point
-Ra Un Nefer Amen (paraphrased)"

Care to explain who "Ra Un Nefer Amen" is?

Thanks,
Maesha
11783, see: Metu Neter
Posted by fourth_venom, Sat Sep-22-01 10:23 AM
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

ESCO

AIM:The4ourthVenom

http://members.blackplanet.com/fourth_venom
11784, co-sign/post o the day
Posted by SankofaII, Sat Sep-22-01 11:04 AM
I hear voices and i can't stand to be alone
'Cause emptiness is all I've ever known