Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectok.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=11430&mesg_id=11449
11449, ok.
Posted by LexM, Fri Oct-05-01 03:55 AM
>>*Exodus 13:17 reads: "When Pharaoh had
>>let the people go, God
>>did not let them take
>>the road to the Philistines'
>>territory, although that was the
>>shortest 'in case', God thought,
>>'the prospect of fighting makes
>>the people a roundabout way
>>through the desert of the
>>Sea of Reeds."
>>
>
>
>that this verse means...I'm not sure
>exactly what you're trying to
>point out...

I just posted the verse for clarity since the note makes reference to it.

I was just pointing out some of the difficulties in following the Exodus based on biblical dates, etc. As the note said, the word "Philistine" was unknown at the time the original was written, so someone had to go back and add it later. Overall, there is the suggestion, as the note says, that the "exodus" may have occurred in 2 separate periods or among 2 separate groups, since it is difficult to connect to other historical records of the time.

>In the tanach, in it's hebrew
>it does state that the
>people did not the shortest
>way and it also states
>why,

1. the bible was not only translated from hebrew
2. any strictly hebrew translation is going to state the history/occurrances from a strictly hebrew point of view. there's nothing wrong with that, but it is subjective & not necessarily historically accurate.

>however an anachronism is
>like a relic, a survivor,
>a left over of sorts
>so what is it exactly
>are the footnotes saying...

(from http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=anachronism)

a·nach·ro·nism (-nkr-nzm)
n.

1.The representation of someone as existing or something as happening in other than chronological, proper, or historical order.
2.One that is out of its proper or chronological order, especially a person or practice that belongs to an earlier time: “A new age had plainly dawned, an age that made the institution of a segregated picnic seem an anachronism” (Henry Louis Gates, Jr.)

>also like i have mentioned before...when
>naming places don't go by
>these modern maps, one should
>find an older map or
>better yet an ancient map
>in order to see where
>was what as well to
>account for land and water
>massess at the time...

I understand what you're saying, but the point is, the word/place name "Philistine" wasn't in existence when the original text was written, but it is there nonetheless. As the Bible has gone thru different translations & languages, people have gone back and added information and taken information out.