Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: RASISM *MUST READ*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10634&mesg_id=10894
10894, RE: RASISM *MUST READ*
Posted by SoulQuest, Fri Oct-12-01 08:13 AM
>You are so far off the
>mark about rasism that
>it is impossible to laugh.
>
>And again, PEOPLE OF COLOR CANNOT
>BE RASIST .

Thank you!!! My sentiments exactly!!! I hate it when white folks spout off that reverse racism shit.

(from dictionary.com)
rac·ism
n.
1: the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races
2: discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of
another race

prej·u·dice
n.

a.An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
b.A preconceived preference or idea.
2.The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments or convictions. See Synonyms at predilection.
3.Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.
4.Detriment or injury caused to a person by the preconceived, unfavorable conviction of another or others.

Let's get this straight here. There is a difference between "prejudice" and "racism" and there's a difference between racism and reactive actions and attitudes to racism. Most people of all races have prejudices about a whole lot of things, including people of their own race.

When blacks talk and make generalizations about white folks being racist, that can be seen as a prejudice, because not all white folks are racist. (But we all know that there's a good number of them)
And when black folks say they don't like white folks or they hate white folks, that's not racism either. But when white folks say that about black folks, it is. The former is reactionary; the latter is racism. The difference is that when a white person says they hate black folks, it has no genuine concrete basis other than the fact that they hate blacks cause their black. Yeah, they may say something like "I've been mugged by a black person" and this and that, but that only serves as an excuse to fuel the innate hatred and feelings of superiority they might have over blacks. They wouldn't feel the same if a chinese person did these things to them because that innate hatred, fostered through generations and generations is not there.
On the other hand, when a black man says he hates white folks, it's not just cause he's white, and he's had a couple bad experiences with white people. It's because as he's grown up, he's been treated as less than equal or less than a man at the hands of white folks who control everything. He's seen that throughout history, his ancestors have been treated as subhuman by white folks.

My dad is one of the angriest people against white folk I know. When these attacks happened, he actually said he was happy, cause most of the people that were killed were white (and he was especially happy that all those cops died). He said he like seeing all those white people on TV crying, cause they didn't know what happened to their loved ones. Now, this sounds sick and most white folks would say this is racist right?? But you have to understand where that emotion is coming from. My dad's been through many personal dehumanizing experiences at the hands of whites and cops in his life, and like many of us, has seen racial injustice, one after another against blacks. His attitude is "Nobody cares when these racist cops kill blacks in the street for nothing" I don't necessarily agree with all his views, but I can understand them, I don't look at him as racist because he doesn't feel the way he does just off of a superficial reason.

The racism some whites have towards blacks stems from ignorance, fear and a sense of inferiority. (See Frances Cress Welsing's Theory of Color Confrontation)