Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: White Ppl & Fear
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10634&mesg_id=10871
10871, RE: White Ppl & Fear
Posted by queen333, Wed Oct-10-01 08:30 PM
>>Culture _IS_ -- this is no generalization, this is the truth. And if we can't see that "white" (again, a manifestation of American culture) isn't a culture that has its own needs, thoughts, and imperatives, then as activists, as people who are trying to free themselves and our people, we are lost because we have lost the fucking game before we began.

I am not arguing the point that "dominant cultural standards" do exist, or disagreeing with the reality of "white privelage" in our society, or that there is a thread of fear that runs thru our culture; but I do think that there was a generalization made, and that was that WHITE PEOPLES are afraid of....That was all. My whole thing is that not ALL White people think INSIDE OF THE BOX -- not all White people are afraid. You can be apart of society, but it doesn't mean that u have to think within the confines of that society. White people too can "rise above" what mass culture dictates and expand their awareness. So I have no problem that Kemetian has just been pointing out things that she has observed about the culture in which she lives, but I guess I was just suggesting that she be careful about generalizing. I'm sure she would appreciate the same in return. All I can do is speak for myself and maybe my experience is a lil bit different being that I'm Canadian. I know what we've been discussing is society in general, not just Canada or the States or whatever, but I do think that from what I have been told by people who live in the States that it's quite a different reality down there.

With regards to the action that is being taken in Afghanistan, I personally would've like to seen some other solution rather aggressive retaliation. I do feel that the actions that've been taken are fear/ego based. And I am sure that Bush and the coalition will not win the "war against terrorism" through such means.

ONE
C.