Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: okay discussin
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10634&mesg_id=10840
10840, RE: okay discussin
Posted by kemetian, Wed Oct-10-01 02:00 PM
>i agree with you on the
>collective conciousness thing... but where
>do you draw those lines?
>
>
>i mean, would you say there
>is a collective african conciousness?

yes

>and i'm talkin bout the
>continent of africa.

i do not separate africans thruout the diaspora from africans on the continent. collectively african ppl on/off the continent have a consciousness, just like europeans on/off their land do.
>if there
>is a collective american conciousness
>then who is included in
>it?

i don't know that there is a collective american consciousness unless u r referring to Native Americans and a collective (Native) American consciousness, european americans have european consciousness, african americans have an african consciousness and so on.

>the lines of division
>are real blurry and that's
>why i think this is
>a hard thing to talk
>about. people don't wanna sound
>stupid.
>
>and a lil off topic but
>to add: what's so bad
>about being scared to die?

i didn't say it was bad, i said it exists, in white consciousness, this fear of death. b/c it exists, white ppl display it in a myriad of ways.

>personally, if i found out
>i had only a lil
>left time to live i
>wouldn't be happy about that.
>i'd be scared and upset
>as shit.

why? b/c in your culture it is believed that this is all there is, that u do not continue after this "life." in cultures where, "death" is just a transition to another life there is not the fear of death on such a large scale. all of the hoops that ppl jump thru, to prolong life, even in fighting for "justice" whites must do it in such a way as not to jeopardize their own "life." i.e. dropping bombs from afar, avoiding hand-to-hand combat...

>i love my
>life.

this is a good thing.

i know i'll die
>but i'm in no rush
>thank you. do i think
>this cuz i'm white?

i think that has a lot to do w/ your heritage and for anyone who has been brought up and ingested the "white" way as a way of life, where the standards set forth by whites is the standard to go by, this will be the case.

>i'm
>asking seriously... and please, no
>hollywood answers or examples please,

what r hollywood answers? u mean the egs i gave about movies etc.? art imitates life. they're an excellent way to gain insight on the mindset of a ppl. NOTE: the way ppl r portrayed is an accurate telling (for want of a better word) of how the ppl making the movies ee them. eg. i know u don't like them but... black ppl complain about the characters they play in shows as not having depth, u see them hardly ever, their chars aren't as developed as others, it's b/c that's the way whites c blacks, as incidental, not "he's the guy w/ the family and the life", he's just a guy @ work, so that's the way they r portrayed on TV. u get me?

i mean i guess i could've used books like Moby Dick as well (for my man vs. nature point), the egs i gave are a few of very many, if u stop to think about it. better yet, look @ the history of white ppl, look @ white ppl as part of a continuum and u will c what i mean, about this fear. another author to look at (who incidentally is white) is Andrew Hacker. he describes white consciousness, matter-of-factly. i think he angers a lot of blacks b/c he is unapologetic of the viewpoint, that aside, wonderful insights can be gained, by just examining one's ppl.

>that sh*t is downright insulting.

u'll be ok.
Shemhotep
"Be not arrogant because of your knowledge. Take counsel with the ignorant as well as with the wise. For the limits of knowledge in any field have never been set and no one has ever reached them. Wisdom is rarer than emeralds, and yet it is found among the women who gather at the grindstones."
-The Book of Ptahhotep(excerpt)