Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Read the whole thread before you respond
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10634&mesg_id=10812
10812, RE: Read the whole thread before you respond
Posted by cued, Wed Oct-10-01 09:49 AM
Race... that illusionary reality.

Race has become synonymous with culture.

To say "white" signifies race
when it is meant to signify culture.

I think we have been through this before.
And I can't figure out a satisfactory way to
"marry" the two either.

I think it goes back to language being co-opted
and decontextualized in such a way that we can't
even think of things outside of a dichotomous matrix.
I dunno, but when I was in the 2nd grade, I was taught to
read things within the context in which it was written.
Reading things within the context in which it was written,
this post has nothing to do with race
and everything to do with culture
and, in a sense, to do with cultural imperalism
and to do with this war
and if we were to take this seriously and look at it
we would begin to understand what bin Laden meant when he
called America scared -- because, trust me, our faces are
not what he thinks of when he thinks of America
we would begin to understand what the Afghani senior official was talking about in my post "Statues and what we know about Afghanistan"
We would understand what media is doing and why
because I find so much of it... obvious and repugnant
because they are playing on all sorts of things which are
ripe within the Euro-American culture.
Clearly delineated "bad guys" -- they have started a smear
campaign against Afghani culture without giving us any history about it... For example, I didn't know they have been fighting for about 25 years. I didn't know about all the double-dealing and backhand wheelings of our government... to stop Russia... and that whole THING was funded by fear... America fears any system that is unlike it... and declares that system enemy. It needs everything to be "known" and seated within its hierarchy. If not, fear. That is not race related, it is bigger than that. It _IS_ a consciousness, yet, it isn't an universal consciousness. Is it a dying consciousness? I'm not sure. My gut tells me that it isn't because it is self-perpetuating...

If fear is a guiding force behind that culture's motives (and this is only if one has demystified Euro-American/European/white culture for his/her/trans- self), then what are the guiding actions of this force? Control? Dominance? Assimulation? We have to learn to look at things _as they are_ not as they _seem_.

In the end, I cannot believe that one poster talked about a color-blind society.

To me, that means a society where I have been indoctrinated and absorbed.

That ain't cool.

Peace,

Q

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"americans are gross!" -utamaroho

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali