Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: FYI
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10634&mesg_id=10653
10653, RE: FYI
Posted by cued, Wed Oct-10-01 08:05 PM
Yup.

That's what whomever you are referring to is saying... or should be saying... as I don't exactly understand where you are coming from.

Racism= race prejudice + power.

Without the power piece, it is just prejudice based on race.
Because, in this country, people of color do not have (I shuld say it to be clear) _institutional power_ people of color are _incapable_ of being racist.

Now, your friends said this because in America, there is this casual lumping together of terms where racism, prejudice and bigotry all mean the same thing. However, they are not the same thing.

And it is no sin for people of color not to like or to even hate the dominant culture from time to time. At least I don't think so because that kind of emotion is _healthy_. Better to feel it than run up in a post office...

you know the rest.

Repressed anything is not good.

Anyway,

Tah

Q

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"americans are gross!" -utamaroho

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali