Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: interesting perspective.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10634&mesg_id=10639
10639, RE: interesting perspective.
Posted by ape, Tue Oct-09-01 08:19 PM
ok.

i`m not disagreeing with what you`re said. you`ve made some good points. but those were based on you`re interpretation of kemetians post. and my understanding of that is white people meaning mainstream white american attitudes, US media and the US state.

so thats what you got from the post. fair enough. but for me its just way too wide. i just don`t feel its useful to just slot people into these huge groups, which have different meanings depending on your view point. america is just one nation which i am not a part of. it is not representative of all western countries. a lot of american culture is that: american.

in my first post, i wasn`t trying to attack kemetian as being rascist. its more a general comment on just how willingly people are prepared to group others together, under some kind of label. i just feel that when that happens, it becomes far easier to treat someone in a different way - for instance as some part of a larger problem - than you would treat them on their merits as an individual.

and i think there are interesting points to discuss on how fear is used. an example would be how so many images presented to us of the middle east are of rallies with flags being burnt and people calling for the blood of the west. you`re much more likely to attack someone out of fear than you are out of understanding.

peace