Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Relax
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10496&mesg_id=10584
10584, RE: Relax
Posted by guest, Wed Oct-17-01 09:00 PM

>Actually my question is how it
>is "breaking barriers." there's no
>doubt it brings ppl together,
>we're here aren't we? but
>have any "barriers" been "broken"
>is the question.

>
>Uh, that's not quite right. just
>b/c i ask _how_ it
>does something, doesn't mean i'm
>saying it's _preventing_ it from
>doing something. i would like
>to know how. but i
>explained what i thought "breaking
>barriers" meant. "breaking barriers" means
>for me anyway, a long-term
>effect, more far-reaching than painting
>pictures together and hanging out
>together. what do u do
>when u hang out? how
>will this affect our relations
>on a large scale?
Like you said before, you need to act within yourself(this is something I have done for myself), then move in your own community, etc., etc. Moving, inward then outward. Right? Then this will have affect, on relations b/w blacks, whites, asians, etc. Growing together, learning about each other, seeing what can be done, then taking that one step at a time. As we find out more and more what exactly it is that needs to be done to break down these barriers. And no, I dont just "hang out" "paint pictures" w/ these ppl.
or
>is it for the moment?
>u said no. Sunday brought
>up some ppl in an
>Asian country of different classes
>who don't necessarily get along
>being able to dance together
>@ a hip-hop club. while
>this is all well and
>good, if after they leave
>the club they still don't
>get along (on a larger
>scale) then have any "barriers"
>really been "broken?"
Why do you ask me this? But no, no barriers have been broken.
Obviously not, if they still do not get along. This is a problem they need to fix on their own. But I look at your words and see "if" So the question is somewhat irrelevant b/c you do not know if this actually happens(tension still existing)

>and what makes hip-hop any different
>(in this respect) from any
>other black-started popular music of
>a particular time?
There is more of an acceptance of this. I know my parents were probably scared somewhat to see me and my brothers get into this music deemed "black music" It has been seen over the time as truly a black art form, whereas in the past music such as jazz, rock, blues, dixie and the like had been stolen by greedy whites, and made into their own thing, claiming they were the inventors of such a thing. Not to mention, in these days blacks were still not even seen as being real humans. But, things have changed, things have not. So, unfortunatly there are still scared people out there. Who dont know what to think of this art form called hip-hop. So, a white kid in the 1920's listening to a jazz record, and wanting to play jazz, and meet the blacks who made this jazz, would not be taken lightly by the parents of this kid. My parents (mainly mom) has engouraged me to go ahead with my graf, poetry, and bboying as something to do for my life.

You can dream a little dream or you can live a litte dream-I'd rather live, cuz dreamers always chase but never get it-Aesop Rock

Anyone can flip shit kid, I stick the
landing-J-tredds

Hey dad, heard ya cursing. Can I join
in? Crap, hell, crap!!-Bart simpson

Whats your favortie dish? Im not gonna
cook it but Ill order it from
Zanzabars!!-Jack Black

Chris-Dad whats the blow hole for?
Peter-Well Ill tell you what its not
for-its why im not allowed at sea
world anymore.