Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Quitter :)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10496&mesg_id=10575
10575, RE: Quitter :)
Posted by cued, Wed Oct-17-01 03:25 PM
>Well, I don't really see any
>of this as a hostile
>thing, much more of a
>discussion, and it is an
>interesting one.
>I'm a little confused by this
>though: "it is YOU that
>needs to change HIS mind.
>Learn how to listen and
>not debate, how to dialogue
>and not attempt to bash
>people over the head with
>I am RIGHT and YOU
>ARE WRONG and YOU ARE
>WRONG BECAUSE and I AM
>RIGHT BECAUSE. Much better to
>explain yourself. Much better to
>share. "
>Have you not read any of
>the previous posts??? I
>don't feel I have bashed
>anyone over the head, if
>I have, I do apologize.
> I do realize my
>perception of the way the
>world is are much different
>than yours or any people
>of color. I'm just
>trying to understand why grouping
>all white people into a
>group and saying that their
>whole collective conscious is based
>on fear, or they all
>feel guilty because of slavery
>seems like a good idea
>to anyone. I do
>agree that this is predominately
>the case (two posts in
>question) with upper class persons
>who are predominately white, but
>I don't feel it is
>a general thing. I
>don't feel "nekkid, discriminated against,
>etc", and as far as
>only listening, then I would
>suppose I might as well
>just stay off these boards.
> Likewise though, if you
>don't want your views questioned/discussed,
>you shouldn't put it out
>there. But to assume
>all white people are in
>a position of power is
>erroneous. Just as it
>would be to assume that
>all black people are in
>a postion of poverty.

We look at white people collectively because, for all of their talk about being "individuals" they act as a collective.

What Marimba Ani, in her tome _Yurugu_ refers to this as is rhetorical ethic, which is, basically, when people (to be general as some people of color have absorbed Eurocentric/Euro-American culture) say one thing and does another.

So, white people are fond of saying that they are individuals.
But then you have things like... say.. pop music... or trends... or a theme that traces through a period of literature or music... and this, which are all non-negative, speaks to a larger collective.

Or, we could talk about how white people have been known to say and act as if they are down... until the moment to prove that comes and they show who they really are (and this is called a transubstantive error, again, from La Ani).

White is a culture, Darling. So much of being socialized, as a white people, is being blinded to recognizing _how_ it is a culture, know what I mean? People are just people, just individuals, right? But how does that explain the polls y'all take? *shrugs* One of the methods through which y'all are blinded is through the ideology of "universalism". Basically, universalism is where one assumes that everyone is just like her and applies to the same culture (language, morals, values, ways of doing and being and thinking) as they do. This is different from a generalization in that a generalization is just saying something like... the sky is always blue knowing that it is sometimes cloudy. Universalism is saying, I think the sky is blue and everyone thinks the sky is blue because it is blue and everyone knows that it is blue. In that statement, one has attributed her thinking pattern and culture onto everyone without so much as a by-your-leave.

>Mainly, I just
>don't understand how "for black
>ppl to take care and
>do better for themselves first
>(Speak, Do, Think Maat)" has
>anything to do with these
>posts. I do understand
>what you are saying about
>"demystify white people and white
>power... look into it, probe
>it, understand it, and transcend
>it." as this would be
>important.

If you understand what I said, then you understand what kemetian said because they are saying, basically, the same thing, only I am trying to walk a line and she, rightfully so, is refusing to do so. In fact, it is not any of our places to instruct y'all as to how you think, how you behave, etc. However, I cannot combine that with my knowing that y'all ARE blind to that kind of thing. So while I am nation-building on my own levels and fighting my battles on that field, I am also trying to educate y'all as best I can without compromising myself too much to do so which is not an easy line to walk.

All white people do have power... or privilege. It isn't erroneous to say that as I come against this power on a daily basis.

And poverty, like power, I guess, comes in many different ways, in many differing forms.

Peace and keep walking your journey, k? but don't quit because you are gonna get hot sometimes, but you are going to learn so much.

Q

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"americans are gross!" -utamaroho

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali