Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Read
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10496&mesg_id=10563
10563, RE: Read
Posted by eric_l21, Mon Oct-15-01 10:14 AM
Well, as far as the fact that slavery happened at all, it was messed up. It is a reason for righteous anger. I was only using pissed off in a general term. I know slavery has had long term effects, no doubt. I agree with you on all of these points, basically I'm on the same side as you. So instead of talking about how white people, western culture, white imperialism, whatever is wrong, which just about anyone with a mind would agree with, let's work on ways to solve the problem instead of saying things like White PPL & Fear.

>it is not an assumption. white ppl collectively r at an >advantage.
>But u don't have to take my word for it (c) Reading Rainbow Host
>they're plenty of books u can read. try some preliminary >googling: "white privelege"
>it doesn't matter that one of u has to eat out of a garbage >can. compare the numbers of blk ppl who do this to white.

I agree, but since it is a socio-economical issue, it should be addressed as such and not on an ethnic basis.

>and it's not as simple as that either, we are talking about the >psychological destruction of a ppl, not just giving them a lot >of hard work to do. we are talking about lynchings, have u seen >the pictures? what ppl seem to forget is that lynchings didn't >happen that long ago. The smiling little white kids who used to >go w/ their parents to watch this barbarism are still here as >are those who spat on and attacked ppl during integration, >bussing etc. and they're not all members of the KKK. so even if >u don't want to look at slavery, there's plenty to look @ after >the period.

I agree with this too. Still, I think while black people do have a justifiable means to be angry/leary of whites, grouping them all into a group and saying stuff like some of these posts is wrong. Opinions should be formed on an individual case basis, if we don't do that, then we are spreading propaghanda much like the media which we are all leary of. It would be like saying muslims this, or hispanics that. You can't box people in like that.

>white collective consciousness is one rooted in fear ( i posit) >if u have a better explanation for the behavior put it out >there.

Once again, I don't share in any collective consciousness with anyone else just because I am white. I'm really not scared of too much of anything to be honest with you, mostly because of my spiritual beliefs. So when you say white people are born fearing stuff, it makes me wonder where you get it from. I think honestly it comes from a serious us vs. them mentality, and while I really don't agree with much of it, it may be competitiveness.

>1st things 1st, ppl have to understand that a problem exists at >all. they have to find out what it stems from and deal w/ it >there.

I agree completely, but don't make it a race issue. Saying things like these are issues that the blck community has to deal with and things like that is fine. Those are issues. Speculating that white collective consciousness is based on fear and that white people feel guilty is not an issue that will improve anything for anyone.

>an evolution of what (hip-hop)?
>where exactly does hip hop fit in?

Hip-hop fits in because it is an effective means of communication to large masses of people, it conveys feelings of the culture. It is also a way to address political/social issues. Dude, you know how great I think it would be to have someone like the dude from Dead Prez or maybe Mos Def as an elected official, someone with a vision?

>i _know_ u r not seriously asking this question. u don't know >what happened to them and Lumumba and Walter Rodney and Cheik >Anta Diop for that matter?

This was a rhetorical question. I know what happened to them. Just seems as of lately, there haven't been too many that have had much coverage, who are getting the message out there and exacting change.

>what exactly has he (Farakhan)said that makes u _personally_ think he >has "racist overtones"? what are those (racist overtones) >exactly?

I recall him saying something derogatory about jews or something some years back and congress was all up in arms over it. Also, being white, and referred to as the devil doesn't help. Just seems he is kind of a seperatist as opposed to having white/black culture meshed together harmoniously. I don't mean to downplay the guy, cause like I said before, he does speak a lot of truth.