Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Read
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10496&mesg_id=10561
10561, RE: Read
Posted by eric_l21, Mon Oct-15-01 06:46 AM
Okay, basically I see oppression through a socio-economic standpoint. The reason from what I have seen and can gather by looking at society is that once slavery ended, blacks were still discriminated against and left in a lower level of society to fend for themselves. This is an adequate reason to be pissed off and feel disadvantaged. That cycle continues because many areas have high drug and gang violence putting them at a further disadvantage. Reason number two to be pissed off. Also, this being one of the main problems as I see it, education in the lower level socio-economic class (black, white hispanic, whatever) is extremely lower in quality than those in the higher socio-economic class (predominately white), and nothing is really being done to change this. Reason number 3 to be pissed off. However, how can you generalize and assume that all white people are at an advantage? That we are all scared? That we all have white guilt? How is that right? When was the last time you lived out of your car and worked a full time job while going to school full time and ate out of Taco Bell dumpsters to stay alive to get a college education? I can tell you when the last time I had to do that was. If you want to address issues that oppress a race of people, or races of people (to actually be more fair about it) then do so, and instead of just bitching, why not come up with ways to change it. If hip-hop is truly going to be an evolution, then make it one. Where have all the good leaders gone? Martin Luther King Jr., Malcom X in his later years. Look at what we have now, Farrakhan, I think the guy has some great ideas and speaks truth in a lot of ways, but he usually has some racist overtones to his stuff, Jesse Jackson is a puppet, so why isn't anyone else stepping up and trying to do it right?