Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: broken down
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10496&mesg_id=10550
10550, RE: broken down
Posted by cued, Wed Oct-17-01 07:20 AM
*shakes head*

No, you didn't get it.
Maybe I was being glib.
abstract
vague

Solarus, if you are reading this, honey, you should know that simply uttering the word "white" makes the guilt drift up to the surface, per Kemetian's post. And furthermore, I don't think it's only white people who are guilty. Some black people have ingested their guilt and call it their own.

Fred, if I may call you that, it is not about being afraid of being "watered down". Please. That is not a fear of mine and not a naturally occurring fear within my cultural asili. Indeed, my Ancestors have always known difference and accepted it readily. As so many white people like to say, Africa is a vast continent. Yeah, it is. And the people there didn't all look alike either. And they didn't fight because of that superficial difference, as far as I know, because it isn't a part of them. And as we were moved to these shores, we often saw this same thing within our own families. Most of us have white blood flowing through our veins, Native American blood, both, other kinds of blood, but we have never feared difference nor being "watered down," so your analysis was... just not _there_.

Individuals. Is. A. Creepy. Word. And. An. Even. Creepier. Concept.

Is that clear. As long as people are "coming together" under the guise of being "individuals" as far as the so-called harmony of hip-hop, what is being experienced is just your (read: white/European/Euro-American) culture. Cultures of African descent are relational, community-oriented, not goal-oriented. Don't get confused! When you go to a hip-hop show, despite who the audience is made of, if the artist is Black, she or he is going to bring their flava to the performance and that flava is going to be the gem of her or his culture -- which is not going to be about individuals coming together, but about building community amongst the audience/fans. However, if you white people look at it as being "not white or Black" about "individuals coming together" you are going to miss it because you are too busy indulging and enjoying your own culture so much that you will miss out on what you are experiencing -- or should be experiencing.... connection... and a flow of energy, an exchange with the universe. Black culture at its fullest and finest.

Instead, you are corrupting your experience of it by viewing it through your cultural hegemony.

Which is fine. Your culture and all. Woohoo! Ya know? But I think that is the center of why so many people are skeptical of all of this so-called togetherness a lot of y'all keep spouting. It is great to love hip-hop. Hip-hop _is_ wonderful. NeoSoul hits the spot. But you could chanllenge yourself to learn about what it is you are receiving, realizing that it isn't something you are familiar with, realizing that the reason you like it so much is because it isn't empty, like your culture... which forces the question, why do you only choose to look at it through your culture when it obviously has nothing to do with it... in the best and worst of times?

*shrugs*

Is that clear enough?

Peace,

Q

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"americans are gross!" -utamaroho

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali