Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Read
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10496&mesg_id=10545
10545, RE: Read
Posted by kemetian, Sat Oct-13-01 06:09 PM
Yimhotep

>When was the last time you
>saw an all blacks in
>a bboy battle? all white?
>all asians? Ive held many
>hip-hop shows and its participants
>have been all colors.
>There are probably lots of
>whites who would be scared
>of blacks had they not
>gotten into the culture.
>It had brought people together
>that lots of people have
>never thought whod be brought
>together. Hanging out at
>a local hip-hop store, people
>of all hues come down
>and hang out with each
>other. Hip-hop seems to
> be breaking dowm barriers,
>you go to a rock
>show and its predominatly caucasian.
>

i did not say they were all white /black. altho' i attended a dead prez show in England and most peeps were white (and high). but i'd like to hear some black ppl (not the artists) saying hip hop is "breaking down barriers." what does this mean exactly? i mean, does it mean that blk ppl and white ppl are able to dance in the same room? listen to the same music? didn't we do this in the '70s? i guess i need a definition of "breaking down barriers". what does it mean "after the morning after" (c) Frankie Beverly w/ Maze, u know? after the music's off, don't we go our separate ways? so is this barrier broken down for the moment? school me, i'm listening.

Shemhotep
"Be not arrogant because of your knowledge. Take counsel with the ignorant as well as with the wise. For the limits of knowledge in any field have never been set and no one has ever reached them. Wisdom is rarer than emeralds, and yet it is found among the women who gather at the grindstones."
-The Book of Ptahhotep(excerpt)