Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecthip hop is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10496&mesg_id=10543
10543, hip hop is
Posted by Sunday, Sat Oct-13-01 10:03 AM
breakin down barriers. and parties downtown toronto are mixed we get everybody. but there are neighbourhoods here where you get predominantly black parties. it kinda depends.

but the perfect example of what you're saying i saw in malaysia this summer. there are three predominant groups of people there, the malay, the indian, and the chinese (and that is the order of wealth distribution between those three groups from the lowest to the highest, respectively). when you go to clubs in kuala lumpur all the patrons are just about all chinese other than a couple of indian people and a coupla white tourists. the staff at these places is always all malay. the music is always horrible house. i was dying the first few times i went out, it just wasn't no way that i do good times.

finally we found a place that plays hip hop and r'n'b (mainstream mind you, but at that point i was like bring that nelly and destiny's child i can't wait!) this place turned out to be wicked. there were all kinds of people there and the vibe was just the way i like it. before i found this place i thought there were no black people in malaysia, it was wierd. there were malay, indian, chinese, black, and white people all mixed up (and the staff was all mixed up too), everyone dancing up a storm, singin, and having the best time. its the only place like it i found in malaysia and i travelled all over that place from coast to coast and jungle to jungle. shit was segregated everyone except for that one fuckin joint. and it played hip hop.