Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectconsider this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10260&mesg_id=10303
10303, consider this
Posted by guest, Fri May-19-00 11:11 AM
I got this idea today in class when we were discussing environmentalism, and I thought it was perfect for this discussion:

Suppose you have a field of wheat, and that it has become overrun with noxious weeds. To fix the problem, you burn the field. Everything is gone now, the good wheat along with the bad weeds, and now you think that you can start over by planting new wheat. Soon enough, however, the weeds grow back because their strong roots remained in the ground. The wheat, on the other hand, was totally destoyed in the blaze. Also consider that sometimes these planned burns grow out of control and destroy even more that they were intended (Los Alamos).

The only way to rid the field of weeds so that the wheat can prosper is to go after each weed and pull it up by the root so that it cannot grow back. This method is tedious, difficult, time-consuming, and in the end futile (weeds always grow back), but is really the only way to banish the weeds from the field.

Overstand?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AIM - velodragon

Between me and every ideal I always find Scheisskopfs, Peckems, Korns, and Cathcarts. And that sort of changes the ideal.
--Yossarian

**May is Offensive Quote Month**
A handjob's a man's job, yo job's a blowjob
--MC Paul Barman