Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectwhat's up el_rey?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10260&mesg_id=10279
10279, what's up el_rey?
Posted by guest, Tue Apr-25-00 06:40 PM
It's just so tough to tell in a country like this one. At this monment in time, the last thing from the minds of the general public is an armed uprising. I have enough trouble in my soc. classes getting white folks (damn, there I go generalizing...) black folks too, for that matter to so much as RECOGNIZE the injustices that exist as being a problem for our society as a whole. Perhaps it's cause the vast majority of my time is spent in North Carolina as opposed to my "second homes" of Philly and NYC, but I have trouble spotting the revolutionary spirit in most of my friends and aquaintences these days.
I guess I am just a little sceptical as to where and how such an uprising would begin without innocent lives lost and spirits crushed right off the bat. In the meantime, I do my best to stay politicaly involved with Human Rights Watch and the ACLU (sueing Philly for the right to protest... damn setling bastards). It does give me hope to see so many working for freedom and equality within the existing system. There's a long-ass way to go, but progress IS being made.

On a seperate note, I am writing a 20 page (dear God, deliver me) term paper on Mumia and the underlying constitutional violations in his case as well as discrimination w/in the criminal justice system. I have some pretty decent information sources and one of the largest libraries on the east coast by my side, but any information sources or authors you could recomend would be most helpfull. Thanks in advance.

Peace,
Che

"When crime is orginized enough, it isn't even against the law."- Huey

"Everything you play reflects all your experiences."- John Coltrane

"There are two kinds of music: good and bad."- Duke Ellington

"i do not wish
to lose my mind
only to find my heart"- saul williams