Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectjust want him/her 2 b happy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10105&mesg_id=10164
10164, just want him/her 2 b happy
Posted by the2ndsurvivor, Tue Nov-06-01 10:55 AM
I'll probably raise my kid(s) the same way my mom and dad raised me. That's all I know and I'm happy with the job they did. They didn't have a whole lot of extra time for me and my sis but the time we did share was well-used. We always had (and still do when possible) dinner together, my mom and dad always checked and re-checked our homework, my dad never leaves the house for work without waking us up for a kiss on the cheek and a quick I love you. They really let me enjoy being a kid. Didn't try to push too hard or take the fun out of everything. The only thing I would do in addition to all of that is expose my child(ren) to more diverse cultures and allow them the freedom to develop in other ways besides intellectually. My parents would have loved to do a lot more for me and my sis but money and time were big issues so we just made due with what we had. The thing I most appreciate about my mom and dad is their honesty. I've never been afraid to talk to them about anything. The role of parent and child is very clear, but, they are also my two best friends. They never tried to make it seem like they've been perfect their entire life and that I was the first person in the world to do this or to want to try that. So, I wouldn't change from what I know, I'd just take it to another level since I'm anticipating that I'll have the resources to do so.

...if I were a superhero, I'd be Had-It-Up-to-Here Woman, sneaking around grocery stores, malls, and amusement parks all over the world. With lightning speed, I'd snatch up bad azz kids and give them three swift licks with my golden switch and vanish into thin air before anyone knew what happened...

Pet Peeve of the Month:

People who call your house with the wrong number. If you call for Mike and I say Mike doesn't live here, don't say "but isn't this his number" or "but didn't I dial XXX-XXXX" because I will tell you no. No, it's not his number. If it was I would let you speak to him. And don't hang up and have your friend call 2 minutes later. I'll say, "Hey, I hear your friend in the background. I just told him(her) that Mike doesn't live here."