Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: ok.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10105&mesg_id=10135
10135, RE: ok.
Posted by guest, Thu Nov-08-01 09:25 AM
>If your parents raised you to
>be a Christian, and you
>decided to become a muslim
>because you saw that it
>was better(?)...then why would you
>raise your child to be
>a muslim, knowning that there
>was a point in time
>when you made a change
>yourself?
I am expecting my first child now, and this is a question that I have most definitely considered...I was raised Christian, and currently ascribe to no particular religion, although I have a close relationship and hold a deep reverence for the Creator. The way that I arrived at my own personal conclusion is from (I believe) my upbringing as a Christian. Easter, Xmas, Communion, Baptism, and other Christian rituals were all a part of my upbrining. As I got older, I started to explore and investigate other faiths, and by the time I came out of college, I had a completely different understanding and stronger relationship with the Divine than I've ever had. Were it not for my questioning what my parents believed, I would have never been able to see what I see now. And even though we argued about our separate beliefs, it only made my faith stronger. However, the one thing I would do differently from my parents this time around would be to allow and support my child's efforts to investigate and get closer to GOD as they get older. The Christian foundation is good, but to me it only serves as a template for understanding the "concept" of GOD. Being fearful of God, the threat of eternal hell, white jesus, etc... I will do without. But the basic blueprint is a good launching pad for the novice--as he/she gets older I would love to have a conversation with my child about new discoveries, theories, and questions that they may have, because I think it will only bring us closer. Shit, I'm still learning myself!