Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectan answer, insha'allah.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10105&mesg_id=10134
10134, an answer, insha'allah.
Posted by abduhu, Tue Nov-06-01 07:30 PM
>If your parents raised you to
>be a Christian, and you
>decided to become a muslim
>because you saw that it
>was better(?)...then why would you
>raise your child to be
>a muslim, knowning that there
>was a point in time
>when you made a change
>yourself?

b/c:
1. i see that being a muslim is better way to be
2. what i DID, has nothing to do with what he/she WILL DO.
3. the change i made was made manifest by my own personal situation, that he/she will never have to be exposed to or go through, insha'allah, and therefore has no ramifications on his/her future choices.
4. i would want to make the path as smooth as can be, so they wont have to go through what i went through.

the thing i think you are missing, is that raisng a child in said manner, will not take away their ability to make choices, when they are no longer children.
it might sway them, but they will have the ability to sway back, if they want to, nonetheless.

>Had you not had the opportunity
>to choose, or "faculties" to
>make that "better" choice, you
>would still be worshipping the
>Christian "God". And being that
>you "did" make a change,
>why not take the knowledge
>of how things could've turned
>out (had you stuck w/
>christianity) and give your child
>a foundation where he won't
>necessarily be directed towards "either"
>faith, and thus choose his
>own?

b/c that is a buddhist way of doing things, and im not buddhist.

you approaching a muslims situation from a buddhist perspective, is like me trying to answer question 1&2 from a muslims perspective.

i will definitely give him/her a foundation in islam, b/c that is a right of them and an obligation of mine. and when they reach the age of "responsiblity", they will determine their own course, and i will be free of their choice and the consequences of their choice, insha'allah.

and without me going into any details about my "chrisian" life to them, he/she will have knowledge (what matters anyway) about my previous way and through their foundation of islam.

whatever is benefcial of dunya (worldly) knowledge, they will get it. my goal is to make the path as smooth as i can make it. sure i want them to learn from their mistakes, but i would rather have them make no mistakes to learn from. but alas, humans will be humans.

and if they dont know anything else, theyll know toyotas are better cars than american cars, thats for sure.

but if they still wanna get a dodge..............

3.7 He it is Who has >sent down to thee the Book: In it are verses basic or fundamental (of established, clear meaning); they are the foundation of the Book: others are not entirely clear. But those in whose hearts is perversity follow the part thereof that is not clear, seeking discord, and searching for hidden meanings in it, but no one knows its interpretation except Allah. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: "We believe in the Book; the whole of it is from our Lord:" and none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.

the biography of Prophet Muhammad (saws):
http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/Books/SM_tsn/
subhaanakallahumma (Glory be to you, Oh Allah), wabihamdika (and I praise You). ashhadu anla ilaha illa anta (I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped except You). astaghfiruka (I seek Your forgiveness), wa atuubu ilaika (and I turn to You in Repentance).