Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectof course i want
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10105&mesg_id=10117
10117, of course i want
Posted by 360sunsumyea, Tue Nov-06-01 06:55 AM
my children to better than me, but how do i do that?
i ask myself that all the time.

as far as something i did that was "self-admittedly bad" - i don't plan to hide that from them. i plan to be honest about my mistakes but also to explain to them what i was thinking, feeling, other people involved in my life...that influenced that decision. and you can only hide your chldren from "bad" things or people for so long. i think it's better to equip them with the necessary tools to survive in the jungle (our world) than it is to hide from them the reality of that jungle in hopes of protecting them.

>Would you be able to critique
>yourself accurately and honestly so
>that you could teach your
>child to overcome the pitfalls
>you may have?

i think so, but i also think it's important to get other people's opinion of you as you were growing up. other people who have known you all your life or even a part of it may have seen things in you that can be helpful in identifying the same traits and tendencies in your child.

**********THE SIG**********

The point is for us to sit down and make some kind of agreement on some basic things and understand that what is going to be freedom to me, is not necessarily going to be freedom for you. Self-Determination must be a very important part of what We're talking about when We talk about political organization -- political activity -- that has to be underlined because everybody doesn't have the same dream. So, there has to be room for everybody to attempt to move toward that dream, as long as that dream does not include oppressing other people; exploiting other people.
-Assata Shakur

I long for the day when I can go out, eat a raw food breakfast, snack on natural fruit and vegetables, read a book, study and practice a martial art, eat dinner, cultivate my garden, play with my seeds, and rest......
-urbgriot