Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: good answers...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10105&mesg_id=10111
10111, RE: good answers...
Posted by Nettrice, Tue Nov-06-01 11:16 AM
People are facilitators and nurturers for children...I spent my entire childhood rejecting conditioning so why would I want anyone to put anything into me. It was my choice to take in information, gain certain skills and my mother was there to help me do it.

Many people like to see kids as these vessels that need to be filled. Sure, kids need help/support finding their path and acquiring the skills needed to follow the path but they are not empty. For example, when I learned how to walk it was part of a natural progression- from rolling over to sitting up and standing. The next step was walking and my mother was there to be an example to imitate and encourage me. However, if you put me in a room alone I still would have tried to walk.

Also, I am not like my parents but I exhibit many of their attributes. Neither of my parents are artists, noone left home on their own to follow their dream/path, and so on. I was the first. What I acquired as a kid was all the things I mentioned: safety & structure, competency & mastery, etc. Most important, was a feeling of self worth and ability to ascend (overcome adversity). These are the things I want my children to have.

>what are you planning on puttign
>INTO the child..i.e. attributes, skills,
>etc...

"Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own"
--Paulo Coelho, "The Alchemist"

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix" (and a Buddhist philosophy)

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"