Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMy thoughts:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10105&mesg_id=10106
10106, My thoughts:
Posted by Utamaroho, Tue Nov-06-01 04:10 AM
I think having a child raised in an environment that loves him/her is most important, first and foremost.

In some of my readings on child rearing, i think by an author Scott Peck (i think) he made a point in saying that children are like arrows shot from a bow. The parents are the bow and that as such are involved in steadying the arrow and getting it "lined up" in the way it should go. When the bow is released, it is free to travel anywhere it wants. The key point is that it is "FREE". I think the chapter was on the issue of parents trying to hold onto their children forever, and keep them as children. Thus i come to my point of having a child raised in a loving nurturing environment, but not so much as to create perpetual babies. Children are FARRRRRRR more intelligent than i see some parents giving them credit. I think this has to do somewhat with control and inability to effectively teach.

merican children are educated at a rate and level that far undermines their abilites. An Indian coworker of mines child that always comes in impresses the other coworkers in his ability to grasp concepts that they thought were far beyond that of a child at 7 years of age. One thing i found out upon asking the father about how he knows, is that he started teaching him so-called "adult" topics and thought patterns early.

Someone else made the point to say that children are as intelligent as adults, they are just smaller and cannot do for themselves. I mean, how many times do you hear of parents asking their children to fix an issue on their computers? Children have potential that for whatever reasons is stifled by parents or just not tapped into.

So my ingredient into the activist baby is recognizing its inate potential and taking advantage of it. Doing this, we give it the best start by not limiting ourselves in thinking it is not capable. The goal is for it to surpass us one day and assume our position and accomplish tasks greaetr than ours, so why not psychologically start on our end and stop the cycle of "limiting" children to our level?

other ingredients?

(((((PEACE)))))