Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectyou might as well wear it....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22642&mesg_id=22669
22669, you might as well wear it....
Posted by bluetiger, Wed Aug-02-00 12:03 PM
Slavery was only legal under the Confederacy for roughly 5 years, and if you read up on it, the majority of the Confederacy's leaders (especially Jefferson Davis & Robert Lee) advocated an immediate end to slavery and the bondage of Africans. Their only discussion was whether the Africans should be freed with education or monetary compensation or freed without these things. On the other hand, the US goverment has supported slavery since its inception and de facto slavery through segregation and Jim Crow Laws. The 13th Amendment allows for slavery only if under the control of the federal goverment in the form of prison labor/chain gangs. The Klan also has no claim to the battle flag of the Confederacy as it does not represent them in any way(which is typical of ignorant white racists to misuse symbols intended for other purposes). They wrongly characterize the battle flag as a symbol of slavery whereas the symbol that best characterizes slavery in America is the flag of the US (even Farrakhan agrees with this). Some facts: Less than 10% of southerners owned slaves. Of that 10%, at least 2% of the slaveowners were African. The typical slave owner had generally no more that 2-3 slaves which means that large plantations were owned by a small minority of the population. Further, under the battle flag, most of those (and yes, whites and blacks both fought for the South) who fought and died were in poverty (not the wealthy plantation owners). It was a poor man's war, and thats what that battle flag truly represents.

I do realize that a lot of people are going to h8 me for typing the above, but oh well.
For the record, I do not wear or display the flag because of the misunderstandings and misuse of its history and meaning by ignorant ass racists.

Thanks for reading. I love you.