Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Denny's, Shoney's, Texaco, Sodexho-Marriott...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18859&mesg_id=18894
18894, RE: Denny's, Shoney's, Texaco, Sodexho-Marriott...
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Jan-31-01 03:48 PM

>i think alot of things rappers
>say are racist towards whites.

It would be good to give examples here, to make your statement more clear. I can imagine a few in my head, but as a general rule, supporting claims is wise... it can save a lot of miscommunication.

Now on to the topic at hand...

Concepts of racism depend on the definition you use. The bottom line in most academic circles is that racism deals with superiority - that is, it is a set of thoughts or actions that put one race above another.

So, I may be putting words into your mouth, but when you say that Common says some racist things, you could be thinking of "... sell out, like a dread with a white girl" or something like that. That has nothing to do with superiority... it has everything to do with the idea that interracial dating isn't the best thing for blacks, or for a lot of minorities at that. The reasons are numerous, but none of them are because blacks are better than whites or whites are better than blacks.

>i call them that
>because they are all militant
>as fuck and there is
>a red one, a green
>one, a blue one, and
>even a pink one. i
>am not lying. they say
>some pretty outrageous shit, and
>alot of it is really
>disturbing and hateful...

once again, some examples would be nice. Militancy is a opening up a whole other ballpark, letting the fans storm in. It's easy to listen to Dead Prez and assume that they're racism. But when you read their interviews and stuff, thye're views (naturally) become a lot more clear, and you see where they're coming from. But I urge you to really examine the words of a person and try to identify whether or not superiority is said, or even insinuated.

>yet nobody
>is shutting them down or
>up. i realise it is
>freedom of speech and that's
>fine. but if anyone retaliated
>and even spoke up against
>it, there would be a
>bloodbath. am i making ANY
>sense? any words of wisdom
>out there?

Yes... some words of wisdom: educate yourself.
Seriously... you're right when you say (below) that everyone has suffered. But no one has undergone nearly as much as Africans, and I do mean that in a global sense.

But that is besides the point, irrelevant to what we're dealing with.

Man, I can't even think straight right now. I hope this helps. Others on the board are apt to be a lot more vicious :)

-thebigfunk