Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: break it down
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=17285&mesg_id=17300
17300, RE: break it down
Posted by Sudani, Fri Mar-16-01 06:43 AM

I think Hip-Hop was a gigantic tool in making me MORE concerned with the "issues" in our community at an early age(middle school). People like me were inspired to learn about more than what is in the history books, shown on the tv, and printed in the magazines and newspapers. Living in a place where ignorance is the "Order Of The Day" , Hip-Hop was a breath of fresh air to me and a PUSH to know more and act on what I know. I felt empowered by lyrics of the emcee's in the "black medalion, no gold" era. I even went and read El Hajj Malik Shabazz's(Malcolm X) Autobiography !Then I became curious as to who inspired them. Who was it who played the part they played for me? What were they talking about? Who is this I am hearing samples from? Why are they(the sampled atrists) so important to these people who are so important to me today? I WAS impressionable at the time, but I thank God for them. They made my already questioning spirit feel VALID. I had MANY friends and associates who fit in this category, there are waaaaay more than you think.

Peace