Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecti am sorry
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12410&mesg_id=12474
12474, i am sorry
Posted by Federisco, Wed Jul-11-01 09:49 AM
I don't think i understood what you meant, still dont totally. Hiphop was started by blacks, is mostly for blacks, and i am very glad you said you don't mind others enjoy it. But do you say those not black can't make hiphop?

It's become the voice of those who can't voice their opinions, at least international hiphop. But i start to feel that your hiphop is one thing (from the roots, common, mos def to ice cube, tupac, nwa), but international hiphop is different. More underground and not representing a specific group (in usa it represent blacks, even if far from all blacks like it).

I try to respect hiphop as much as possible.. heck, i only listened to Mos Def's "Black on both sides" once... i was afraid to become too wannabee (many dream they want to be black, so that they can "suffer like the gangsters do". i understand you dont want that). I am almost too paranoid, on the common concert i went to he had the crowd go "we be dat.... afrodeziac".. i started wondering if i should sing along, isnt afrodeziac something very black?.. i sang, but not loud! and it confused me.

(still havent made up my mind if i should or should not.)