Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectstandards and inadequacy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12030&mesg_id=12030
12030, standards and inadequacy
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-23-01 04:25 AM
if you ascribe to the kings and queens and gods and goddesses schools of thought, but use those standards as a benchmark for your own inadequacy (for example, saying that a queen or a goddess is someone who is completely self assured and you have moments of self consciousness, so you're working toward it but not quite there), how are you any better off than if you ascribe to tradional western schools of thought and use those standards to benchmark your inadequacy?

if you believe that natural beauty is true beauty, but you still work to make yourself beautiful, how are you any better off?

are you one of the people on the board who is overjoyed to giggle about utma's dread extensions and womanhating affection for strippers and strip clubs more than you were ever overjoyed to discover a black man who professed to know peace and live a clean and healthy life?

i said it before, and i wanna say it again. i truly deeply madly believe that self consciousness is the root of all evil.

and any system of standards that sets you up to be self conscious is a bad system and a method of perpetuating opression.

we have to get over ourselves- be at peace with ourselves- before we can improve anything else. in the meantime, the only thing that we'll bring to anyone is harm.

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

i believe in education and empowerment through art. i believe that movements happen when ideas are set to music. bodies and people come together through dance and movement, eyes awaken in the face of a good movie, and whatever ya gotta say is useless unless you can use these tools to reach right into people

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

"The logic of divide and rule is still valid today." Capleton

DomePoem Poets; Vibe Nation; One ppl under the spoken word