Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectembracing ethnicity
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=11848&mesg_id=11875
11875, embracing ethnicity
Posted by guest, Wed May-17-00 10:11 AM
I agree completely with your view on whiteness. I've been trying to get people to understand the problems with accepting race and not looking at ethnicity. I do understand your point about individuals who choose to call themselves white are accepting the racist attitude that goes along with the label. The problem is that many people do not want to give up the category of race for a number of reasons. People are quick to say that race is a social construct but are scared to move beyond that. These issues go beyond realizing that whites that accept this label accept the stigma of being a part of the racist history whites have created.

I keep thinking that maybe in the 21st century, as we get more people of color into the nation we will have to get rid of this label. But as new immigrants come in, they quickly fall into the trap of being labelled latino, asian, or black. People feel it is the only way to mobilize politcally and get their issues on the agenda. If ethnic minorities are able to do this, then maybe we can get somewhere.

As far as whites are concerned, they will be scared by the idea of ethnicity simply because they are comfortable with their white label. They don't really want to understand what its like to be french, german, italian american. So maybe the issue is never resolved.

This life is temporary but the soul is eternal, separate the real from the lie, let me learn you. --Mos Def